Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hand grip strap that can be used with neck strap

• 16-05-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Upon my recent purchase of what is possibly the heaviest flash on earth, it has occured to me that a hand grip for holding the camera vertically would come in er... handy. ;)

I really like the security and convenience of a neck strap though and would be unwilling to give that up.

Is there a combination strap available that I just haven't come accross? Or is there a hand strap that can be used in tandem with a neck strap since I rather like my neoprene neckstrap? Or some way to double the strap connector on the right side of the camera?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I usually wrap the neck strap around my hand a few time and then hold the grip.

Just a suggestion till someone suggests something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah, tried that... didn't like it. It's cycling without a helmet - I'll do it if I have to but it doesn't feel right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Xiney wrote: »
    yeah, tried that... didn't like it. It's cycling without a helmet - I'll do it if I have to but it doesn't feel right.

Hmm, That may be the case, Cycling without a helmet feels perfectly fine to me :pac:

I'm sure you could buy a cheap neck strap and make one yourself.. Wouldn't take to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I use the normal Canon Hand Strap E-1 with all my cameras (350D, 30D and 40D) together with the battery grip. And there is no problem, attaching a nack to it.

I bought a cheap ass hand grip on eBay and just tied it to the bottom of my neck strap.

p5160093.jpg

p5160096.jpg

Works grand and handy for me. You do have to tie the neck strap fairly tight on the camera though (with the plastic pieces on the end of the strap close to the camera). Otherwise the hand grip will just keep sliding up. Once you tie it tight you've no problems at all though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I use the Blackrapid Strap. It connects to the tripod mount, takes the weight away from the back of your neck and hangs by your side instead of the front. If you used this you probably wouldn't bother with a hand strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

oshead wrote: »
    I use the Blackrapid Strap. It connects to the tripod mount, takes the weight away from the back of your neck and hangs by your side instead of the front. If you used this you probably wouldn't bother with a hand strap.

I got the RS-5 last week, definitely takes the strain off my neck. Would recommend it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

where do you buy the blackrapid straps. Been looking for one for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I got mine off the Black Rapid website, took about a week to be delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

swingking wrote: »
    where do you buy the blackrapid straps. Been looking for one for ages

I think I bought mine direct by choosing add to cart from their website. It was a good while ago so I kinda forget. Anyway, Here's a list of dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got one of the Canon handstraps and find them great, comes with a connector to put the neckstrap on too

The R-Strap definitely looks cool - but it doesn't solve the problem that holding a camera vertically with a big heavy flash produces. Also I'd be wary of how the R-Strap would ah... interact... with my *cough* female anatomy.

Borderfox wrote: »
    I got one of the Canon handstraps and find them great, comes with a connector to put the neckstrap on too

cool - do you know the model # by any chance? I suppose if it doesn't have the neckstrap connector I could just use KKV's trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't forget, if you're using the handstrap with anything other than the 1 series, you'll need a battery grip or one of those links that screw into your tripod mount.

I'd prefer the handstrap to the neck straps, although I'm going completely strapless these days :-/

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    I got mine off the Black Rapid website, took about a week to be delivered

were you charged customs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Fajitas! wrote: »
    ... I'm going completely strapless these days ...

I always like when my models have strapless bras. So, when can I put you in front of my camera? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Any time. Baby.

This looks fairly similar to the one I use;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Camera-SLR-DSLR-Hand-Grip-Strap-Canon-Nikon-/360254339694?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item53e0d4fa6e

Although mine says "uWinka" on the side. I assume that's Chinese for "You Wanker", but it works grand nonetheless.

I believe I came across a grip on ebay before that had a piece of material, like a lanyard, on it, that hooked through the neck strap. It was pretty much the same thing I'm doing, except it was a thinner strap, so it could be forced through the slit on the camera where the neck strap was.

Dunno how it'd work out, but seemed to me that it'd be putting too much pressure on the actual connector thingy that he straps go through. I don't mind accidentally snapping a neck strap or hand grip, but I wouldn't like to break any piece of the camera itself, so I stayed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The R-Strap definitely looks cool - but it doesn't solve the problem that holding a camera vertically with a big heavy flash produces. Also I'd be wary of how the R-Strap would ah... interact... with my *cough* female anatomy.

My other half uses one without any problem to her chesty bits... now, obviously YMMV depending on the, er, scale of such bumps and that, but I don't think it'd be a problem for all but the most large of ladies.
    were you charged customs?

I wasn't on either of the ones I ordered (2 separate occasions over the christmas period)

My other half uses one without any problem to her chesty bits... now, obviously YMMV depending on the, er, scale of such bumps and that, but I don't think it'd be a problem for all but the most large of ladies.

good to know!

seriously though, it may seem like I'm joking but actual experience from ladies would be very valuable with something like this. I'll certainly look into it before my next holiday.

• Advertisement

Well I took the plunge and bought an rs-5 from the website.

Hope I made a good decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

good to know!

seriously though, it may seem like I'm joking but actual experience from ladies would be very valuable with something like this. I'll certainly look into it before my next holiday.

Nope, I can totally understand the reluctance... after all, what comfortable for us guys may not be suitable for the fairer sex.

Though if you're in no hurry, it may be worth waiting a little bit
    Well I took the plunge and bought an rs-5 from the website.

Hope I made a good decision?

Definately... best strap I've ever used

Though if you're in no hurry, it may be worth waiting a little bit

Just looks like it has a seatbelt cover on it, in fairness.

I think you'd have to be mad to pay upwards of €50 for a camera strap (but that's just me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

good to know!

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/double-strap/

the double strap looks alright on her ?

Advertisement