Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol v diesel when does it stop making sense to go diesel

• 16-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Always had 1.6 petrol car, now thinking of going diesel for first time, trade in of my car amount 1500e 00 car,looking to spend no more than 8k cash along with that

But trying to figure out when does it stop been worthwhile getting the diesel, ie is 1.6 petrol is similar to 1.9 diesel for efficency, tax,petrol,insurance,tax, looking to by an estate car that has 6/7 seats(fold up)

I like the peugeot 307 sw with sun roof, looking to buy an estate with the extra seats when needed, so been told by the experts to go diesel, can you recomend a nice estate car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

if your looking for a big estate car id recommend a diesel. you have to factor in aswell as driving cost the feel of driving the car, imo a 1.6 petrol would always feel underpowered in a big car and you would always have the foot down to get anywhere making in heavy on juice, try to find a nice 1.9tdi estate and you cant go wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

castle wrote: »
    Always had 1.6 petrol car, now thinking of going diesel for first time, trade in of my car amount 1500e 00 car,looking to spend no more than 8k cash along with that

But trying to figure out when does it stop been worthwhile getting the diesel, ie is 1.6 petrol is similar to 1.9 diesel for efficency, tax,petrol,insurance,tax, looking to by an estate car that has 6/7 seats(fold up)

I like the peugeot 307 sw with sun roof, looking to buy an estate with the extra seats when needed, so been told by the experts to go diesel, can you recomend a nice estate car

It depends on how much you drive it. How many miles would you drive in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

high horse wrote: »
    It depends on how much you drive it. How many miles would you drive in a year?

going to be around 10k,but like the peuogeot 307 sw but told by one to many people that you must get this car in diesel as the petrol can cause issues,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

10k/year wouldn't warrant a diesel IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

You also have to consider the considerable added complication of modern diesel engines, turbos, DMFs, injectors etc can all give a lot of trouble in many makes and are often very expensive to replace.

That said, many MPVs with small capacity petrol engines will be dangerously underpowered, a 1.6 petrol in an MPV is dangerous once you go outside city boundaries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You also have to consider the considerable added complication of modern diesel engines, turbos, DMFs, injectors etc can all give a lot of trouble in many makes and are often very expensive to replace.

The way things are at the moment price wise on new cars I'd go diesel but the problem with them and low mileage is exactly as above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055859342

2004 Octavia, doing 10,000 miles annually will be €336 cheaper in the diesel.
    Engine type	tax	mpg	mileage	gallons	litres	cost/l	cost p.a
    1.6 Petrol	445	39	20000	512.82	2331.33	1.3	€3,030.73
    1.9 diesel	614	54	20000	370.37	1683.74	1.2	€2,020.49
    1.6 Petrol	445	39	10000	256.41	1165.66	1.3	€1,515.36
    1.9 diesel	614	54	10000	185.19	841.87	1.2	€1,010.24

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

2 Espressi wrote: »

Tax on a 1.9 is not 614, its 582

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Tax on a 1.9 is not 614, its 582

Depends, have 1.9 laguna 1894cc but had 1.9 Saab 93, was 1910cc

On the ball Shakie! Skoda's a 1980-something, so you'd have an extra €32 in the coke'n'hookers fund after a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

My friend has a 1.3 Opel Astra diesel and it has the most annoying, loud noise coming from the engine. Revving is really noisy and the car moves & sounds like a truck.

I honestly hate the car, just because of the engine noise and discomfort.

For that reason alone, I would not get a diesel car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    My friend has a 1.3 Opel Astra diesel and it has the most annoying, loud noise coming from the engine. Revving is really noisy and the car moves & sounds like a truck.

I'm not familiar with that engine, but basing that decision on one very small diesel engine doesn't make much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

eoin wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with that engine, but basing that decision on one very small diesel engine doesn't make much sense.

But aren't generalizations the backbone of this place:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

hahahahahahahhahaa he wouldnt get a diesal because of some poxy 1.3 hes sat in,,,id love to see his face in a 535d:eek:

EPM wrote: »
    But aren't generalizations the backbone of this place:D

Everyone always says that all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

[/QUOTE]

Service costs will be higher in the diesel.

One blown diesel-only part (turbo, DPF, etc) and you won't even break even with the petrol over the life of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭frex

It stops making sense if you dont do a lot of miles, and the price of the diesel is significantly more than the petrol.

I have a 3.5l petrol and its "cheaper" to run than a 3.0l diesel, because the base price of diesels is significantly higher, but the mpg difference isnt enough to close the gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

sounds like a truck..

I hate those arguments with a passion. A truck has a diesel engine so of course they will sound similar. Dear lord almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

frex wrote: »
    It stops making sense if you dont do a lot of miles, and the price of the diesel is significantly more than the petrol.

I have a 3.5l petrol and its "cheaper" to run than a 3.0l diesel, because the base price of diesels is significantly higher, but the mpg difference isnt enough to close the gap
    That is a very different price scale than what the OP is dealing with. The price difference between a 1.9 diesel and an equivilant petrol around the 9k mark would not justify the mpg difference.
    At your end of the scale yes though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭frex

cadaliac wrote: »
    That is a very different price scale than what the OP is dealing with. The price difference between a 1.9 diesel and an equivilant petrol around the 9k mark would not justify the mpg difference.
    At your end of the scale yes though.

Ah yea....good point. Price gap on the 1.9D / 1.6 petrol is probably closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

such a valid reason not to change to diesel. The noise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I've a 1.3 diesel engine in my Corsa, and it ain't that loud like.
    bbk wrote: »
    I hate those arguments with a passion. A truck has a diesel engine so of course they will sound similar. Dear lord almighty.

And I thought they sounded more like tractors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The 307 SW 1.6 petrol is awfully underpowered. My parents have one and its given nothing but trouble. Ok, some of it may be bad luck, but there have been a good few recalls on it (02 model). Put it this way, the aul wan drove my 1.4 mkiv golf last week and couldnt believe how "fast and nippy" it was :D IMO its too heavy a car for a 1.6L engine.

Peugeot 307sw 1.6 petrol from dealer 9k,(31K Mls) V Peugeot 307sw private 7.5K(52Kmls)

frex wrote: »
    because the base price of diesels is significantly higher, but the mpg difference isnt enough to close the gap
    Not really any more, since the punitive CO2-based VRT system was introduced.

Taking some of the more common cars:
    530d - 65k, 530i - 68k
    A4 3.0TDI - 57k, A4 3.0 - 60k

JHMEG wrote: »
    Service costs will be higher in the diesel. One blown diesel-only part (turbo, DPF, etc) and you won't even break even with the petrol over the life of the car.

You're splitting hairs there JHMEG. The same thing could be said about a petrol engined cars. An oil change and new filters aren't that much different in either. Diesels aren't any less reliable, you could just as easily lose a common part such as a timing belt, or a turbo. Coilpacks haven been known to fail as well, which you won't find ins a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ath01

trying to figure out when does it stop been worthwhile getting the diesel, ie is 1.6 petrol is similar to 1.9 diesel for efficency, tax,petrol,insurance,tax

The fuel tank will very likely be the same size whether you get a petrol or diesel Peugeot 307 sw.
    Consider these 2 sentences (which say the same thing) given that petrol is more expensive than diesel in Ireland and the diesel will average more mpg:
    A full tank of diesel will cost less and go further than the petrol.
    A full tank of petrol will cost more and wont go as far as the diesel.
    When would the petrol be worth it? My answer would be never.
    going to be around 10k,but like the peuogeot 307 sw

I do a small mileage a year, probably less than 10k.
    I was driving a relatively economical 1.6 petrol (30+mpg).
    People told me that a diesel wouldn't be "worth it".
    I have just recently bought a diesel. Why? So I don't have to fill up as frequently.
    With the petrol I felt I was either going to or coming from a Petrol Station.
    Whenever I went for a long journey I would have to fill up beforehand and probably be empty and needing another fill when I got back.
    The range of the diesel is a lot better, so I can skip one of those 2 fillups.
    A full tank of diesel costs less and goes further than the petrol.

For me, that makes the diesel worth it.
    Oh and as an added bonus the diesel is quicker.
    The diesel should be easier to sell in the future.

Besides which, it's not just about the money, it's the the extra power, speed and not having to fill up as much that make diesel the winner in my opinion.

Enough Said I guess, cheers you make sense
    ath01 wrote: »
    The fuel tank will very likely be the same size whether you get a petrol or diesel Peugeot 307 sw.
    Consider these 2 sentences (which say the same thing) given that petrol is more expensive than diesel in Ireland and the diesel will average more mpg:
    A full tank of diesel will cost less and go further than the petrol.
    A full tank of petrol will cost more and wont go as far as the diesel.
    When would the petrol be worth it? My answer would be never.

I do a small mileage a year, probably less than 10k.
    I was driving a relatively economical 1.6 petrol (30+mpg).
    People told me that a diesel wouldn't be "worth it".
    I have just recently bought a diesel. Why? So I don't have to fill up as frequently.
    With the petrol I felt I was either going to or coming from a Petrol Station.
    Whenever I went for a long journey I would have to fill up beforehand and probably be empty and needing another fill when I got back.
    The range of the diesel is a lot better, so I can skip one of those 2 fillups.
    A full tank of diesel costs less and goes further than the petrol.

For me, that makes the diesel worth it.
    Oh and as an added bonus the diesel is quicker.
    The diesel should be easier to sell in the future.

Besides which, it's not just about the money, it's the the extra power, speed and not having to fill up as much that make diesel the winner in my opinion.

• Advertisement

That is a good point, but it assumes that the diesel car doesn't cost more to buy (and comes as well spec'd), doesn't cost more to service and that the person doesn't mind the sound etc of a diesel (I don't mind, but many do).

I might have been unlucky with my previous diesel car, but the DMF needed changing which almost certainly wiped out any difference from buying the equivalent petrol model.

Certainly if you're changing cars anyway, then it might make more sense. The trap that many people fall into is spending thousands up front to save €30 a month.

You're splitting hairs there JHMEG. The same thing could be said about a petrol engined cars. An oil change and new filters aren't that much different in either. Diesels aren't any less reliable, you could just as easily lose a common part such as a timing belt, or a turbo. Coilpacks haven been known to fail as well, which you won't find ins a diesel.
    Petrols have belts/chains the same as diesels have, but you'd be either negligent or very unlucky to have problems.

On the other hand 95% of petrol cars don't have turbos, 95% of diesels do. No petrol has a DPF, increasing numbers of diesels do.

Fact is that a modern diesel is quite a complex piece of equipment, operating under far greater stresses, in comparison to a modern petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Petrol v diesel when does it stop making sense to go diesel

When you get stung by the petrol version of the car your driving at a set of traffic lights....

Advertisement