Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac Recipes

Options
  • 16-05-2010 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi there folks,

I am gluten intolerant and having a bit of trouble finding out what I can/can't eat.

A lot of the gluten free breads etc are just pants..

Does anyone have any nice tried and tested recipes that are coeliac friendly? I'm looking for dinner recipes, lunches, breakfasts, snacks and breads... basically everything!!:)

Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

excellant thread, i just came in here to make the same one.

i need come coeliac dessert recipes or nibbly food for a party.

i need to make it up to a friend for saying it is a made up disease and if you can make it until you are 35 without any problems then you are just looking for attention :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/chocolate-cloud-cake-recipe_p_1.html

It is really really amazing, can be made dairy free too :D

http://coeliac.ie/webboards/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=2d948215cc0a2a96c287ec8ae247cea2

Daveyboy does amazing recipes :D

Sponge Cake:

Ingredients

Cake
    250g butter, softened
    250g caster sugar
    250g GF self-raising flour
    3 medium eggs

Topping
    175g Butter
    250g Icing Sugar
    25g cocoa
    1 tsp vanilla
    60ml boiling water

20cm round cake tin, greased and lined with baking parchment

Method
    Set the oven to 170oC/GasMark 3.

Cake
    Beat the butter, sugar, flour and eggs until smooth
    Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and level the surface.
    Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼ hrs or until the sponge feels firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.

Topping
    Dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water, making a paste. Cream the butter to
    soften it, then add the sieved icing sugar and beat really well until the mixture
    becomes pale in colour and light in texture. Mix in the cooled cocoa and vanilla.

Cut it in half horizontally and ice!!!!

AMAZING :D

Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients

100g butter
    175g caster sugar
    75g muscavado sugar (necessity)
    125g dark chocolate
    1tbsp golden syrup
    2 eggs
    1tsp vanilla
    100g flour (I used doves gluten free bread mix flour, just make sure the flour has xantham gum in it and ensure its GF)
    2tbsp coca powder
    1/2 tsp baking powder

You could put in nuts if you want!

Method

Grease 8" tin.
    Melt butter, sugars, chocolate, and syrup in a heavy based pot stirring until fully dissolved, leave to cool.
    Beat eggs, vanilla and add to cooled mix.
    Sieve flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
    Fold carefully into egg mix.
    Pour into tin and cook at 180degrees for 25 min until a skewer (or spagetti piece) comes out clean.

Really gooey too :D I made them with sunflower butter and they were still amazing :D

Enjoy

On the bread note - Dunnes Livewell stuff is pretty good :D

irishbird wrote: »
    i need to make it up to a friend for saying it is a made up disease and if you can make it until you are 35 without any problems then you are just looking for attention :o

I would recommend the chocolate cake AND the brownies - she must be well p!ssed - know I would be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pavolva or Eton mess for desert, both always go well, esp with all the season berrys atm.
    A slecetion of olives can be a good starter or roast veg skewers.

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »

Daveyboy does amazing recipes :D

Oh my god - I LOVE Daveyboy. Wow!!!!:D:D:D:D

Thanks so much for replying folks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hey All,

Cheers for this thread! I'm not Coeliac myself but as I'm starting baking as business now I've been getting so many people enquiring if I can do anything Gluten Free. It would be great to get a good plain sponge and choc sponge recipe that people have found tasty!

Spadina wrote: »
    Hey All,

Cheers for this thread! I'm not Coeliac myself but as I'm starting baking as business now I've been getting so many people enquiring if I can do anything Gluten Free. It would be great to get a good plain sponge and choc sponge recipe that people have found tasty!

The above sponge is amazing :D If you are baking for ceolicas remember cross contamination!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Pembily wrote: »
    The above sponge is amazing :D If you are baking for ceolicas remember cross contamination!!!!

Yep, gotcha on the cross contamination, it'd just be nice to have a possible recipe when people ask me, people probably won't chance it anyways but at least they know I try! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Hiya all!

I'm hoping to make a sponge cake this weekend and only managed to get my hands on plain gluten free flour....how much gluten free baking powder should I add to the above quantities?

Also, I don't have time to post it now but for those looking for other nice cakes orange or lemon drizzle cake is a safe bet - the cake is based mostly on almond flour and for a twist some mashed potato can be added to keep it extra moist. I did it and it worked a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I lived with a chap for a year that was coeliac, he found Indian and Thai cuisines didn't have gluten in them, or could be easily adapted to take out the gluten. Get cook-book hunting :)

Have a look at making up your own pizza bases too, they'll be better than what you'll buy pre-made, and you can freeze them if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Dont have any actual recipes to contribute out of my head (work computer!) but the River Cafe Cook Book Easy has a chapter on chocolate cakes, all flourless (given structure by ground almonds or hazelnuts and stiffly beaten egg whites,) all very tasty. Similarly, Nigella has a recipe for a clementine cake using ground almonds in How To Eat. Curries can be made quite easily, just use ground almonds to thicken if a recipe calls for flour (just realised I sound like a rep for the ground Almond Marketing board!). Look for low-carb recipe books too, as some of these avoid grain-based carbs (burgers/rissoles etc without breadcrumb, stuff like guacamole, humous, tapenade).

cheers

Dont have any actual recipes to contribute out of my head (work computer!) but the River Cafe Cook Book Easy has a chapter on chocolate cakes, all flourless (given structure by ground almonds or hazelnuts and stiffly beaten egg whites,) all very tasty. Similarly, Nigella has a recipe for a clementine cake using ground almonds in How To Eat. Curries can be made quite easily, just use ground almonds to thicken if a recipe calls for flour (just realised I sound like a rep for the ground Almond Marketing board!). Look for low-carb recipe books too, as some of these avoid grain-based carbs (burgers/rissoles etc without breadcrumb, stuff like guacamole, humous, tapenade).

cheers

Thanks a million for this. I'll look into getting that cook book.;)

Advertisement