Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH EVOLUTION QUALIFIERS 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I am pretty much with Doom on this one Dreddy. We have to do something imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Maybe stick up an annonymous poll to see if people are willing to convert next week's Inferno to an Evo Qualifier as previously outlined?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just my opinion here guys...

I would keep it as an Inferno next week. We are in the formative period of what could become an incredibly talented community. In order to build the community, the community events have to take priority. Inferno, first weekend of every month. We need to keep this going from the start. If we are still going to run a qualifier, have it in the middle of 2 infernos or just have the winner of the next inferno as our seed.

TBH, if it had zero effect on the chances of us getting an EVO qualifier for 2011, I would probably not run the 2010 qualifier at all. I commend the organizers for getting us one, but as a fledgling community, I think it was too much too fast. We need a solid year of getting new players and new player groups before we can stage something that will put us on the map as a group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, why dont you combine the evo qualifier with the inferno tournament? im sure im missing something but the prize money from inferno could be put to good use for the guy (or girl, namely azza) who wins when they go to vegas. the winner could be crowned the winner of the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence. it would be awesome

A poll might be an idea,

@ futureguy

This would be our 10th inferno, we didnt just start this. Really it doesnt matter too much when we do one, where as the more we delay evo the more impossible it'll be to raise enough to send someone over.

Basically its do it this weekend or never.

@ jazzy, thats eh kinda what we were doing alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    winner of the next inferno as our seed.

This is what I want to do.

It doesn't mean the winner has to go if he wants. If he DOES want, then the moeny for his win will go to pay part of the ticket. If he doesn't, he takes his purse.

This means Inferno 10 is still Inferno 10. There's no difference. The only difference is the winner will get a choice of a prize.

From the feedback so far, this seems like a good solution to me. I have yet to see anyone give a better solution tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This sounds like the best solution to me.

So next week will be inferno 10 and the winner will have the option of the cash prize or flights to Vegas. It will not however be passed on to the next person as the cost will be too much.

If after the event, the winner chooses the flights to Vegas, are people willing to then pay an extra €5 (or whatever you can afford to give) to help cover costs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This sounds like the best solution to me.

So next week will be inferno 10 and the winner will have the option of the cash prize or flights to Vegas. It will not however be passed on to the next person as the cost will be too much.

If after the event, the winner chooses the flights to Vegas, are people willing to then pay an extra €5 (or whatever you can afford to give) to help cover costs?

I would but I'd also be pretty insistent no pressure is applied to anyone to do so.

I would but I'd also be pretty insistent no pressure is applied to anyone to do so.

Oh yeah, it'd just be a whip around type thing, not a requirement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sisko wrote: »
    A poll might be an idea,

@ futureguy

This would be our 10th inferno, we didnt just start this. Really it doesnt matter too much when we do one, where as the more we delay evo the more impossible it'll be to raise enough to send someone over.

Basically its do it this weekend or never.

Hi Sisko, thanks for the reply. I completely understand that Inferno is already an institution in it's own right, but I think that, as an event for the entire community, it is coming into its own in recent months. As more and more people begin to travel from outside Dublin to the event, it becomes increasingly important to set dates in stone so these people can get time off a few weeks in advance and put money away for travel (I estimate it will cost 60-70 euro for each of us from Limerick to make any given tournament when factoring in Train, Taxi, Fees, Food, miscellaneous).

If people are going to make this a regular trip, they need to know that, barring a major disaster, that events will go ahead on schedule regardless of turnout/scheduling conflicts. Having run tournaments for 12 years where perople travel for hours (and in some instances from outside of the hsost country), we have nothing if we don't have concrete dates.

I've gone off topic a little, but my point is that people that are travelling expect an Inferno. Is it feasable to run both the qualifier and the Inferno on the same day? How long would it take to run both events? Just a suggestion. Two sf4 tournaments in one day? I'd be out of bed at the crack of dawn for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

So is the deal whomever wins gets the option of Vegas flights or a cash prize, and if the winner declines the flights & chooses cash, then that's it, no-one goes to Evo?

A winner takes all tourney?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

One of us going to EVO would be worth a fiver of anyone's money...for sheer bravery etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Just for clarification; will there still be a second and third place prize if the winner decides they want the Evo place?

As for making a donation to the winner if they do choose Evo,I'd have no issue with that whatsoever.Maybe even another fund raising tournament could be run to help cover their costs.

A-Trak wrote: »
    So is the deal whomever wins gets the option of Vegas flights or a cash prize, and if the winner declines the flights & chooses cash, then that's it, no-one goes to Evo?

A winner takes all tourney?

Yep that's it. We can't afford to do both and many can't afford a few days in Vegas anyway, so we'll do it this way and hopefully next year we'll be able to have another Evo Qualifier and organise it months in advance.
    blag wrote: »
    Just for clarification; will there still be a second and third place prize if the winner decides they want the Evo place?

As for making a donation to the winner if they do choose Evo,I'd have no issue with that whatsoever.Maybe even another fund raising tournament could be run to help cover their costs.

Yes, there will still be the standard second and third place prizes and another fund raiser or two between now and July would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

This is what I want to do.

It doesn't mean the winner has to go if he wants. If he DOES want, then the moeny for his win will go to pay part of the ticket. If he doesn't, he takes his purse.

This means Inferno 10 is still Inferno 10. There's no difference. The only difference is the winner will get a choice of a prize.

From the feedback so far, this seems like a good solution to me. I have yet to see anyone give a better solution tbh.

The organisation wasn't quite there on Saturday but at this stage that is besides the point. Honestly I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this proposal, people went to the trouble of procuring an Evo seed for the community and while it's a bad time of the year for many to be focusing on the game with exams and all, for the community to throw this back in their face is a bit of a joke. Not only does it make the community look scared of Evo competitors, why? People represented well at Cannes. It also makes the community seem salty at the success of certain players in the community and will ruin the chance of Evo providing this opportunity or those who organised it bothering to put such effort in for an ungrateful community again.

The usual prize money is on the table as is a flight to Evo should you wish. You could link with other players for cheap accommodation if you tried, Evo entry isn't that expensive and how much are a couple of burgers, some pizza or whatever over the course of 3 days?

People simply need to man the **** up.

blag wrote: »

Hell yeah, people talk all this community **** then something like this comes along and they turn their nose up at it. We need to get behind this as a community now and ride the motherfunking hype train all the way to Las Vegas.

^

Hehe you need to post here more often m8 :cool:

@FutureGuy I get what your saying but think about it, for people traveling down really its the same experience , what difference does it make if its called inferno or not? In the end it makes no difference for the low to mid level players.

To the high level players there is the stuff about the prize being worth coming down for but for everyone else it may as well be the same tourney.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Hello everyone,

Sorry i couldn`t post up sooner,

First of all i would like to apologise to everybody for how this event has unfolded. I didn`t do anything differently from the last event that was organised and that last event was our biggest and best event to date, unfortunately this time a lot of people were busy and couldn`t attend this time which created some major problems resulting in a venue change at the last minute, now I must apologise for not communicating enough with the community regarding this event, if i had these problems could have been avoided.

But now our focus should be on working to make this event as successful as it can be, so lets get going!

I have a read through a few posts, and here is what i think should happen.

We run evo and inferno as the same event, with a few changes of course.

We can use ps3 and xbox formats and keep the inferno format the same, this keeps inferno pretty much the same and keeps the players sweet. In regards to the prizes we change the inferno prize structure and offer 1st prize a trip to vegas, however if the winner does not want to go or can`t go to vegas, we can offer a complementary 100 euros as substitute prize.

If the winner is unable to attend or declines the prize of going to evo, the 2nd place runner up will then receive the trip to evo. If the 2nd place runner up can`t/wont go it will be passed on the the 3rd place finisher and so on.

But whatever happens somebody must go to Evo.

It is important to keep our relationship with evo good, In the past i have organised evo qualifiers and obtained substantial money from Evo to help organise events and send players to america, this time i received no financial support from them, but in the future who knows what support Evo might be able to do for us, allowing us to be apart of evo and organising a qualifying event is fantastic for our community and is a massive stepping stone in our history, which is more than enough support one community can give to another.

Evo don`t just hand out qualifying events to anybody who want one, ive built up a good relationship with evo over the last 10 years and its because of this i was able to obtain a qualifying event for ireland, sending an irish player to evo is important to keep this relationship intact.

Anyway those are my thoughts on this event, i guess its in the hands of the committee now to decide what happens at this weeks event.

Those are my views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I even have no problem accepting a little of the responsibility as I was there on the day and I could have voiced an opinion- I simply didn't have a problem myself with delaying it.

Me too. The key members who were there on saturday made this decision and what people don't seem to realise is that we were trying to be unselfish by delaying to allow more people the chance to go. We could have been greedy and run the small tournament giving us a better chance of winning. But i guess this gesture has not been recognised
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    If we are still going to run a qualifier, have it in the middle of 2 infernos or just have the winner of the next inferno as our seed.

We need a solid year of getting new players and new player groups before we can stage something that will put us on the map as a group.

I think we're going with the latter. If we ran it in the middle of two infernos there would, in all likelihood, still be a poor turnout.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    um, why dont you combine the evo qualifier with the inferno tournament?

Hopefully this is what will happen. There seems to be a general agreement now that this is the way forward.

The problem is, i think that almost everyone who has a chance of winning is definitely going to pick the cash over the evo spot. So the evo prize is effectively a dud. If we have the prize as the EVO spot only, then we will see peoples true faces. Those who attend are willing to support the community and have us represented on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I think whoever wins the tourney on that day, is our best player.
    And for that reason it'd be a serious shame if they were unable to go due to the associated costs.

To have an Irish entrant at Evo would be awesome.

So I'd support any sort of fundraising tourney/events between now and Evo to help raise cash to cover as possible of the entire costs, and think it's a great idea.

Hopefully this will spur on loads of "TAKE THE FLIGHTS" gameshow type cheers on Saturday!

• Advertisement

If you really, really need someone to represent in vegas(or at least the party aspect of it).....I'll go!!! :D;)

Fair play for posting chunkis, I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

Everything cept this :P
    I didn`t do anything differently from the last event that was organised and that last event was our biggest and best event to date

The super launch event, as far as I remember you discussed it a lot more with us then you did for this and took more input from people.

It was a great event, really good craic. & yes it was one of our biggest, but I wouldn't say it was the best simply cause we've had some fantastic inferno's you've not been to them all so understandably you wouldn't know.

The super event was a new character only bit of craic style thing so it wasn't all big and serious like an inferno or evo thingy , it was a really enjoyable event, deffo one of our best but I wouldnt go as far as to say it was the best event in the history of our community now :p

Anyway I share your views I think its important to send someone to evo and sustain a good relationship with the US community that way.

Ken B wrote: »
    If you really, really need someone to represent in vegas(or at least the party aspect of it).....I'll go!!! :D;)

Vega Does Vegas!

So I'd support any sort of fundraising tourney/events between now and Evo to help raise cash to cover as possible of the entire costs, and think it's a great idea.

Our Day-in-the-Park could double up as a fundraiser. Maybe a small 5 euro in tourny.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Sisko wrote: »
    Fair play for posting chunkis, I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

Everything cept this :P

The super launch event, as far as I remember you discussed it a lot more with us then you did for this and took more input from people.

It was a great event, really good craic. & yes it was one of our biggest, but I wouldn't say it was the best simply cause we've had some fantastic inferno's you've not been to them all so understandably you wouldn't know.

The super event was a new character only bit of craic style thing so it wasn't all big and serious like an inferno or evo thingy , it was a really enjoyable event, deffo one of our best but I wouldnt go as far as to say it was the best event in the history of our community now :p

Anyway I share your views I think its important to send someone to evo and sustain a good relationship with the US community that way.

Sorry i should have said it was the best and biggest event ive been to since ive been living in ireland, anyway forget whats happened in the past, we need to look towards the future and make this upcoming event as big and as successful as we can.

Ah right cool , and agreed!

Hopefully this will spur on loads of "TAKE THE FLIGHTS" gameshow type cheers on Saturday!

I will lead the booing of the man who turns down flights. Such homosexuality cannot be tolerated.

chunkis wrote: »
    I must apologise for not communicating enough with the community regarding this event, if i had these problems could have been avoided.

But now our focus should be on working to make this event as successful as it can be, so lets get going!

I think part of this is due to the excessive use of the IRC channel. In my personal view, the IRC channel is the worst thing to happen to this community, hence my lack of appearances there.

There is no historical record of conversations and plans on IRC. At least on the forum the plans are there for everyone to see.

Hopefully we'll get things back on track this saturday.

What exactly is the IRC channel?

Sorry about my super-massive ignorance...

• Advertisement

Ken B wrote: »
    What exactly is the IRC channel?

Sorry about my super-massive ignorance...

You can find it on the webchat section of SF.ie

Advertisement