Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH EVOLUTION QUALIFIERS 2010

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

AnimaX I agree the IRC channel is bad for planning things and I would never plan something in IRC. But it is a great thing for chats and banter especially when there is a stream on.

I think Kiki should auction off the VSHG. Raise money for the entire community to go to EVO. Problem sorted.

Personally I think EVO qualifiers should go ahead on Saturday with the winner taking prize. Money can be raised to ensure they don't take a financial hit also Vegas is not as expensive as people think, once you stay away from the main strip kind of areas. Further to this, speaking for myself, I would spend all day at EVO. Other costs can be reduced. For example AFAIK entry to EVO is covered and I'm sure Chunkis can get the winner hooked up with the English guys that are going over (someone to travel with, share rooms etc)

While I'm not happy with the way things have turned out, I believe it is up to us to deal with the situation as best as possible and I don't think that shutting ourselves away is the best action. We are out there, probably earlier then we should be, and we have to man up and deal with it.

Cobelcog is the only one with a genuine grievance imo as he is not old enough to travel (Am I right?) but as he did not get out of groups at the last tournament, I do not believe it's an issue :pac: Seriously I'm sure we can work something out, should he win.

I do not agree with mixing Inferno and EVO quals. Inferno has an established entry fee and prize pot. But this argument is pedantic and is the least of our worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Orim wrote: »
    I do not agree with mixing Inferno and EVO quals. Inferno has an established entry fee and prize pot. But this argument is pedantic and is the least of our worries.

But unless people believe that they are attending an inferno they will change their mind and not show up! (again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

animaX wrote: »

The problem is, i think that almost everyone who has a chance of winning is definitely going to pick the cash over the evo spot. So the evo prize is effectively a dud. If we have the prize as the EVO spot only, then we will see peoples true faces. Those who attend are willing to support the community and have us represented on the world stage.

This is why I think there should be 2 separate tournaments. Everyone who is in the tournament should want to go to evo. I honestly think it should have went ahead last week. If people really wanted to go they would have been there.
    It wouldnt be fair to have someone win the tournament this sat and take the money and no one goes to evo. It also wouldnt be fair to give him abuse over it or try bully him into going either.

Id say running 2 tournaments the one day would be messy but what about running it on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Nah it was also a bad date with exams going on up north and such , it wasn't all 'i won't win/don't wanna go to evo so I'm not gonna attend'

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

Haha, I would like to point out that I'm not the moneygrubbing ogre that some people seem to think I am based on comments that I've read. All I said that was when I was faced with the two choices of a tournament I could make use of right next to one I couldn't, I chose the former. That I preferred Inferno to the EVO Quals based on the general disinterest that I had seen towards EVO as a prize. I would've agreed with Azza when he suggested to run Inferno instead and put off the EVO Quals since they seem to be more trouble than they're worth, what with disinterest and people having to use their own money towards it.

But, obviously, it doesn't seem to be as simple as that. And I see that now. For the best interests of community ties it seems inevitable that something has to be done about EVO. I have no problems making a contribution to this cause. If it comes to it and the EVO Quals is the tournament of choice then so be it. I will go down and enter as normal. If I win, I have nothing to do with the trip so someone else can have it. Like what I initially had intended to do the first time but due to people not going and the proximity to Inferno I decided against it. But it is clear now that there is no magical trip to EVO that the winner gets straight up. I wouldn't want people to have to give up their own money to pay for this and I will do what I can to lighten the burden across the community.

• Advertisement

Fair play and apologies. I thought you said you weren't gonna go cause the prize was an evo trip. There are some who have said that however.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Sisko wrote: »
    Fair play and apologies. I thought you said you weren't gonna go cause the prize was an evo trip. There are some who have said that however.
    Who are these players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Without reading anything else that's been said bar what's on this page...

Why not join the 2 tournaments this once and make it the biggest one yet so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

hey guys.nice to meet some of you at the weekend.i was a little bit pissed at the start when i was told that the tournament was,nt going ahead, considering i had to clear my plans for that day and had travelled from galway.(around 7-8 hours travelling).not really bothered about winning or going to evo, but it would nice to have been in a tournament like the one you had advertised.Hopefully im not coming off as a moaning prick, as i had some fun and it was cool having a few games with some of you in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ogiekeaney wrote: »
    hey guys.nice to meet some of you at the weekend.i was a little bit pissed at the start when i was told that the tournament was,nt going ahead, considering i had to clear my plans for that day and had travelled from galway.(around 7-8 hours travelling).not really bothered about winning or going to evo, but it would nice to have been in a tournament like the one you had advertised.Hopefully im not coming off as a moaning prick, as i had some fun and it was cool having a few games with some of you in person!

You have every right to be pissed off, but hopefully that bad first impression hasn't put you off attending future events.

This was an exception and not the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

i had to clear my plans for that day and had travelled from galway.(around 7-8 hours travelling)

Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Ah crap, I didin't know that you were there, i only showed up dead late to offer my support, but would've definitely made some time for you if I'd known you were about.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

ogiekeaney wrote:

You have every right to have moan.

As chopper said this is not the norm.

I'd like to point out was not a community run event. A single community member ran the event and the bottom line is it wasn't planned out well enough.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Who are these players?

ROFL! You again, I swear its like the only reason you ever post here it to get in flame wars or something. :pac:

**** that sucks alright, can't apologies enough for that man :(

The tourney advertised wouldn't have happened anyway as there was only 10 of us. Where it should have been 40ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Let's cut the ****.

Who is actually willing to go to evo?
    Names please.

I'm willing to go off my own back, anyone else care to man up?

Names please.

I think the names in the "are you attending inferno" poll is a good indication

If some meeps are moops, and all zoops are meeps, are all moops meeps?

indubadably

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Let's cut the ****.

Names please.

I'm willing to go off my own back, anyone else care to man up?
    If everyone were to, oh I don't know, die of poisoning on the day and I had to announce myself the winner, I'd be well up for going.

>_>
    <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

animaX wrote: »
    I think the names in the "are you attending inferno" poll is a good indication

I disagree, I'm well up for going to Inferno as usual but won't be able to go to Evo.

edit: despite whether that was a way to find out the latter or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    If everyone were to, oh I don't know, die of poisoning on the day and I had to announce myself the winner, I'd be well up for going.

>_>
    <_<

Don't drink the cool-aid.

Certainly never drink it first

D4RK ONION wrote: »

>_>
    <_<

Yeah never know man, good auld speedboat came out of no where and got a string of nice wins in last Saturday , was only azza who stopped his giant killing rampage in the end. Anything can happen in a tourney.

Tis always epic to see some upset like this, someone coming out of nowhere knocking out the favs.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I disagree, I'm well up for going to Inferno as usual but won't be able to go to Evo.

edit: despite whether that was a way to find out the latter or not

Ironically i'm in the same boat :pac:

Advertisement