Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Charlesland Development..?

Options
  • 16-05-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does anyone know about the ground works going in beside Charlesland Golf Club, club house?

What do you know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What do you know?

nothing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Was wondering that myself, I thought they had sold the golf club land for re-development ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

It's a retail cente from what I heard........clever idea at the mo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no planning applications for the area listed on the Wicklow Co Co website - seems unlikely its anything major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They are digging a big hole to throw money into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Most likely this : http://www.derekmitchell.ie/?p=397

"The IDA presented its plan for its 80 acre site to Greystones Town Council on Wednesday. They intend to develop the section next to Charlesland by putting in a road next January and seeking tenants. The next section they intend to sell off to a developer of Industrial sites and at Mill Road they want to rezone for Town Centre which would allow a Shopping Centre."

Obviously, this is from last November....they were due to start this in January. They were there for a few days back then and then left again. Looks like the real work is beginning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

and at Mill Road they want to rezone for Town Centre which would allow a Shopping Centre."

Is that the Rugby Club Land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Huntthe wrote: »
    Is that the Rugby Club Land.

no, I think its the other side of the dual carriage way on the right as you head up to Greystones. A shopping centre might bring some footfall to the Greystones Inn!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Another shopping centre !!

Its not the schools they promised then :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Its going to be a giant statue of Brian Cowan... bit like the Angel of the North in England, only much much bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Merrilady wrote: »
    Another shopping centre !!

Its not the schools they promised then :mad:

What sort of school?

As far as I know as part of the planning permission, the developers agreed to build a school and other amenties for the growing community.

Personally I didnt see these plans, but there has been talk of them over the last 5 years.

Can anyone else shed some light ?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Based on the coverage in the papers last Autumn it appeared that the IDA wanted to be "seen to be doing something" about jobs and so were going to put some roads into their site. Quite how this could in any way increase the likelihood of any industry moving there remains a mystery but as their efforts were "welcomed" by all the usual politicians they presumably feel they achieved the objective.

I wouldnt be holding your breath for any schools being built. If my memory serves me correctly schools and a numer of other facilites were a condition of the expansion of Charlesland from its present size which presumably wont be happening in the near future'

What you will probably get will be the transformation of a pleasant field into a partially finished building site with some empty roads ideal for drifting!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Opus_One

I know it's probably totally unrelated, and there'll be a million excuses why or why not, but would the councillors and local reps not be much better of ensuring the Marina gets finished according to the original spec, rather than having another one kick off to develop some more empty retail units for the Charlesland area...

Honestly, there's been a pub, medical centre and retail units in the existing centre that have not been occupied in 5 years!!! Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to develop more!!??

Opus One I couldnt agree more, lets hope its not more empty units like the charlesland centre and the Jackie Skelly building, it can only bring trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Opus_One wrote: »
    Honestly, there's been a pub, medical centre and retail units in the existing centre that have not been occupied in 5 years!!! Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to develop more!!??

As I sugested in my earlier post I dont think you need worry too much about empty units. And the news about Pfeizer puts the whole thing into perspective. However what many people fail to understand is that most coulcillors believe that building, any building, is a good thing Period. In their view the consumption of any green field regardless of its location or visual importance is a cause for clebration. Environmental or quality of life issues simply dont register on their radar.

So when you ask who thinks this is a good idea....Well I could give you a long list of names many of whom you probably voted for in the last local election!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

6753629FC83642D8A4A60B358F00DBC2-500.jpg

C97846D8B70C4D2B8163C814441F9BCD-500.jpg

62572FB50161454690A7645234F85117-500.jpg

5AD1343AF4874817BCF19703C84B45E2-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Does anyone know about the ground works going in beside Charlesland Golf Club, club house?

What do you know?

Its the IDA site, they are building a roadway into it.

Advertisement