Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lethal driving on ring road

• 16-05-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Just driving from slieverue to the new bridge and got the fright of my driving life... Met someone coming towards me in my lane

HER excuse... Didnt mean to come onto the ring road and didnt want to drive to the exit

People like her dont deserve a drivers license

For the record I reported her... Something I never thought I'd do to anyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Fair play for reporting her

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did she actually stop and talk to you?
    I hope you *ucked her out of it for being a complete *uckwit, damn right to report her she's lucky she didn't kill somebody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

And the worst thing about that is if you blow the horn at them or flash them they give you a look or the middle finger as if your in the wrong!!! dead right to report her but i doubt anything will come of it. usual bull*hit

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm delighted you reported her, but you will now have to follow through with it. The Gardai, assuming they follow it up, will request you to make a statement and be a witness when they prosecute her.

Alternatively, you can ask that she be cautioned instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    I'm delighted you reported her, but you will now have to follow through with it. The Gardai, assuming they follow it up, will request you to make a statement and be a witness when they prosecute her.

Alternatively, you can ask that she be cautioned instead.

Caution, to hell with that people won't learn unless their prosecuted for doing something so idiotic and dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its notorious for stupid things like that out there have witnessed this twice since it opened!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

its notorious for stupid things like that out there have witnessed this twice since it opened!!!

I have witnessed it as well, I didn't catch the reg but I did report it to toll operators but they said they couldn't do anything about it without the reg. To be honest, idiots like that should have their license taken off them immediately, and none of their children should be allowed drive either. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Junior wrote: »
    idiots like that should have their license taken off them immediately

I say take their car too and sell it. Use the money for road safety campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

and none of their children should be allowed drive either. Ever.

bit harsh no?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

She had an excuse? So she knew what she was doing?

Jesus Christ, that sort of driving warrants a jail sentence, never mind an immediate and permanent driving ban. If I was ever stupid enough to do that, I'd at least pretend I didn't know what I was doing...

She's just lucky it wasn't a case of "f*ckwit kills family of four, escapes with own life" in the Munster Express.

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote: »
    bit harsh no?

Nope, if she's stupid enough to think it's ok to drive against oncoming traffic what 'wise' tidbits and intelligence is she going to pass on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Nope, if she's stupid enough to think it's ok to drive against oncoming traffic what 'wise' tidbits and intelligence is she going to pass on ?

I'm sorry that's so idiotic. Your basically saying if she's a bad driver her kids will be.. Most kids these days are smarter than there parents anyway.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have seen 2 u-turns, 1 at the entrance to the toll from the grannagh roundabout, 1 further down the road. unbelievable.

dazftw wrote: »
    I'm sorry that's so idiotic. Your basically saying if she's a bad driver her kids will be.. Most kids these days are smarter than there parents anyway.

No I'm not saying she's a bad driver, I'm saying she's an idiot, a bad driver is someone who makes a bad lane change, doesn't use indicators, an idiot is someone who thinks it's ok to drive against oncoming traffic, it's somewhat natural selection, we don't allow this idiots back into the driving gene pool.

Some of my comments maybe sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

If she did that knowingly, she should be arrested for reckless driving and given the highest penalty. If she didn't then she should have to re-sit her test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

lets organise a lynch mob while we are at it here.....
    :D

you would swear bad driving deserves the death penalty around here, cause i am sure no one here ever knowingly breaks any of the road traffic acts.....:rolleyes:

robtri wrote: »
    you would swear bad driving deserves the death penalty around here, cause i am sure no one here ever knowingly breaks any of the road traffic acts.....:rolleyes:

So your attempting to suggest that she coudn't have killed somebody driving the wrong way up a road?

There's a differnce between driving the wrong way up a motorway/dual carriage way/slip road and driving 60km in a 50km zone...one clearly comes with more risk then the other and as such should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

robtri wrote: »
    lets organise a lynch mob while we are at it here.....
    :D

There's bad driving and then there's willfully driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway in the fast lane. That is pretty serious in my book (otherwise I obviously wouldn't have reported it)

I would fully agree that her license should be taken off her and some class of dangerous driving leveled on her. I don't agree with the comments earlier about the children not being allowed to drive/taking her car... That's a tad extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

According to the system its 2 or 4 penalty points and a fine of €80 or €120 euro for her
    Driving a vehicle on a motorway against the flow of traffic
    2 4 €80 €120

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Just think, what would you do?

You meet a lunatic doing 60 in the wrong direction in your lane (might as well stay within the limit if your are going in the wrong direction!). You're probably doing 80, since that seems to be the average from what I hear. Say you're in the left lane. Do you move towards the right, slow down, both or what? Does he/she decide to change lanes at the same time? Like when you meet someone on the street and you both try to turn in the same direction. Common enough, except you probably wouldn't come together on a footpath at a combined 140kph...

Not a nice situation to be in. 140kph would probably be enough to kill a few people. Children have a knack of surviving these things, so might at least have a few surviving orphans I suppose.

Yeah... lock her up in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What an absolute dickhead, I met some old slag coming around the wrong way on a roundabout a few months ago, it was one of those roundabouts with bushes on it so didn't see her until very late, on a wet day so don't know how we didn't collide head on, I actually felt like getting out of the car and punching the fucking bitch

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

According to the system its 2 or 4 penalty points and a fine of €80 or €120 euro for her

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

:confused:

2 points and a 80euro fine on the spot.

If convicted, ie if you bring it to court and loose, its 4 points and a 120euro fine.

Personally - should be 4 points and 120 (if not as bad as drink driving) regardless of conviction or not. Its pathetic and very dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and you get 5 points for no NCT remember....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

NCT is very important. It is money for the government afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Just like Jim McDaid
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McDaid

I witnessed a driver doing a U Turn at the beginning of a roundabout (see attached image). Lazy ****er couldnt be bothered to do a simple lap of the roundabout. It happened so fast i didnt get his reg plates. He had a family space wagon car, so there could have been kids on boards.
    I got the impression the guy (middle aged adult male so it wasnt a youngster) didnt think what he was doing was wrong as he drove confidently and i would guess in the country he was from it is probably a tolerated maneuver.

My personal take on this is that I believe fully licenced drivers should be expected/forced to complete a 2 hour driving lesson every 10 years and that your licence will only be renewed when you can prove you did a refresh lesson (not a test). I did this myself for other reasons recently and I was surprised at the bad habits (costering, not dropping gears properly approaching junctions etc) I had picked up even though passengers would consider me a safe driver.

Advertisement