Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The King

Options
  • 16-05-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

The Club is delighted to announce that Ledley King has signed a new contract that will see him at White Hart Lane until 2012.

Our Club captain, currently preparing to head off on England duty after being named in the provisional squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa, began his career at the Club having graduated through our Academy and turned professional in July 1998.

The 29-year-old has since made 290 First Team appearances in our colours and was skipper of the side that won the Carling Cup in 2008 and reached the final the following year. His 20 appearances this season helped steer the team towards a highest Premier League finish and a Champions League qualification tie at the beginning of next season.

Ledley said: "I am delighted to have signed a new contract with Spurs. I have been here since I was a schoolboy and I could never see myself going anywhere else. This is where I want to continue playing my football.

"We've got the prospect of Champions League football to look forward to next season and with the quality of players we have I believe we are on the brink of something big.

"It is an exciting time for the Club with a new training ground being built and plans for a new stadium.

"I am enjoying my football and I want to be a part of what is happening here."

Comments

Don't mean to be negative but he wasn't exactly going to be tapped up by Man Utd with him not being able to play every week. If it weren't for his dodgy knees he'd have moved on to bigger things a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Do ya think?

There were teams snooping around before his knees got this bad

ziedth wrote: »
    There were teams snooping around before his knees got this bad
    Who? Doubt it would have been any of the top teams so it would be a step down for the lad. Let me be clear though he's been a great servant and a top player....when he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

he deserves this contract.superb player,defensive rock and club talisman.its a pity he'll never play a full season week in week out but i'd rather have him for 20 games than any other defender in england.i 'll bet that he only plays in the group games of the cl(if we qualify) and only against utd,city,the gooners etc the prem.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Well deserved. He has been outstanding for years when he can play. How many players of his age in the premiership have only had one club. Long Live The King

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Who? Doubt it would have been any of the top teams so it would be a step down for the lad. Let me be clear though he's been a great servant and a top player....when he plays.

I could be wrong buy I'm nearly sure in the late 90's united might even have been looking at him even around the time they bought Ferdinand

I stand to be corrected though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

ziedth wrote: »
    I could be wrong buy I'm nearly sure in the late 90's united might even have been looking at him even around the time they bought Ferdinand

I stand to be corrected though

i remember that story too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

If it weren't for his dodgy knees he'd have moved on to bigger things a long time ago.

Without a doubt, and his ability has deserved a bigger stage then the one Spurs could provide (BEFORE NOW).

But he's still a 1 club man after 13 years at Spurs so far.

I think he deserves a testimonial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

At one stage this season I thought he was finished when he got another injury, but he came back better than ever when we needed him most for those important last few games.delighted he's still with us for another couple of seasons..long live the KING !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

delighted his long servance has been repayed with a contract. the man is what every player should be. devoted to the club. really is a crime that he got hampered with his injury throughout his career. honestly think he could have been one of the best centre backs/defencive midfielders in the game.

out and out legend.

i just hope he knows when enough is enough. at the end of the day its only a game of ball and if he ends his life in a wheelchair he will question himself every day "was it worth it?" me for one will be delighted with his service to spurs but its no way for an athlete to end up.

fingers crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement