Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grad mass clothing advice?!

• 16-05-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

I have my grad mass thursday week and I don't know what colour shirt/ tie and slacks to get?
    I'm about 5 foot 10 have longish straight brown hair and blue eyes. I also have a very pale skin complexion.
    I like the look of a grey shirt and tie but my sister said no and to get a black shirt and skinny white tie but I think this wouldn't look great.

I'd be very gratefull for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I'd side with your sister on that one mate. You can get some nice sets, with a shirt and a tie, in most mens shops. Go in with your sister for a look around and I'm sure you can find something that suits you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Please please PLEASE don't go for a black shirt and white tie combo. It really makes you look like you have never worn anything apart from a school uniform.

I do think that the gray sounds a little nicer. I love when the shirt matches the tie, but I do think that is a personal thing.

A general rule for shirt & tie combos is the tie should be darker than the shirt. You're still in school, just finishing, so why not keep it simple. Dark grey trousers, good quality white shirt and a slim (not skinny) black tie. Maybe with a black fine knit black cardigan and good black shoes. Looks classy, a bit grown up but not too 'old'.

Just my 2c though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

yesno1234 wrote: »
    my sister said no and to get a black shirt and skinny white tie

Don't take your sisters advice, IMO that is one horrible look, from what i see it is usually worn by wannabe hard men dirt bags or young fellas that just don't have a clue.

If you reverse the look and get it right it can look incredible. I brought my nephew shopping for his grads mass last week, spent a good while looking around various shops. He ended up with a tailored white shirt, solid black tie (slim but not skinny), black slacks with a very slight pinstripe and black shoes.
    He looked really good, i cannot stress though how important the fit is, it's the difference between OK and Super Sharp. He got loads of compliments that night night and he felt very confident.
    Oh and a good clean knot in your tie is also very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Ye I didn't think a black shirt and white tie would look nice. She originally said black shirt and pink tie. I'm beginning to think her advice isn't great lol. Anyone have any more suggestions for what colours and styles to go for?!

Well, if you keep it simple with a white base, you can pretty much go for anything. I quite like grey trousers on guys, and with grey you can go for a pink or a nice purple too. I'd definitely stick with a slim tie-not skinny- and you can try something a bit different:

Grey Twill tie

Black knitted tie (Classic, and looks very very cool, sets you apart from the other guys who might be rocking a black tie.)

Red check tie ( I REALLY like this, but you'd have to check your colouring)

YOu said before about grey on grey, something like this?

You could also go for a striped shirt with a dark tie, something like this- that is a slightly older look.

As another poster said, make sure things fit. Properly.

Hope this helps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

The grey shirt doesn't have the stripes or lines going down through it but it is similar to it. I don't know whether I'd go for any of them suggestions zeogh they just wouldn't really suit me as I'm quite youbg looking and I don't think they would suit me. Thanks a million anyways zeogh

hey no worries, I know what you mean... I think young guys have it quite hard, so much of formal stuff is cut/ designed for guys who have really grown into themselves...

Good luck finding something anyway! :)

Advertisement