Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got Concorde-X?

Options
  • 16-05-2010 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Just having a look at this at the moment, looks good but can't find many reviews (only reviews of it's predecessor, SSTSIM). Does anybody have it or has anyone had a go of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I haven't tried it out yet, it certainly looks the part though.

Watch in 1080p

Edit: I just seen the price, 49.99eur, for one add-on aircraft I think it is taking the p1ss. I know the market isn't huge
    for a product like this but that's just madness. If they think their product is worth the price let them prove it and give
    us a downloadable time restricted demo and let us decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Update: I got Concorde-X a few weeks ago, it's certainly involved. Sadly I got the VRS Hornet at the same time, so I'm torn between the two now! I tried replicating the Concorde crash in CDG... nasty stuff. No power and no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I'm quite tempted by this to learn about Concorde but for that price I expect PMDG J41 or 747 quality, not for exampe night lighting worse then the default aircraft!

What's the flight model like?

pclancy wrote: »
    I'm quite tempted by this to learn about Concorde but for that price I expect PMDG J41 or 747 quality, not for exampe night lighting worse then the default aircraft!

What's the flight model like?

It's good, they use it in the Concorde full motion sim apparently. The visual quality is quite good and I'm getting good framerates in 2D with the scenery turned down as my PC is a few vears old. It's a lot of work to navigate, and I much prefer my PMDG MD11 for systems fun. I haven't really gone into it in much detail though - I prefer the glass cockpit stuff. For all the hype the 2D panels are not great and the VC ruins my framerates and it's terribly blocky anyway. I don't know why they don't take a leaf from DCS BS and A10c's VC cockpit quality - it's awful when compared to them. The systems simulation seems excellent but I've never flown one in real life so I wouldn't really know ;)

Overall it feels like there's something important missing that I can't put my finger on. The FS flight model has always annoyed the crap out of me - it never ever feels right no matter what the plane.

All said, I might be a bit biased because I didn't actually buy the sim, my friend bought it and gave it to me after he discovered he couldn't run it on his PC.

Confab wrote: »
    It's good, they use it in the Concorde full motion sim apparently. The visual quality is quite good and I'm getting good framerates in 2D with the scenery turned down as my PC is a few vears old. It's a lot of work to navigate, and I much prefer my PMDG MD11 for systems fun. I haven't really gone into it in much detail though - I prefer the glass cockpit stuff. For all the hype the 2D panels are not great and the VC ruins my framerates and it's terribly blocky anyway. I don't know why they don't take a leaf from DCS BS and A10c's VC cockpit quality - it's awful when compared to them. The systems simulation seems excellent but I've never flown one in real life so I wouldn't really know ;)

Overall it feels like there's something important missing that I can't put my finger on. The FS flight model has always annoyed the crap out of me - it never ever feels right no matter what the plane.

All said, I might be a bit biased because I didn't actually buy the sim, my friend bought it and gave it to me after he discovered he couldn't run it on his PC.

Update: Just for fun I tried replicating the Concorde accident using Conc X again with the same weights, conditions etc as the real crash. The aircraftwas fine, even had enough power to climb and land at Le Bourget! I tried it in X-Plane (more accurate flight model) and it hit the ground and exploded.

Conclusion: The Concorde-X flight model is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Confab wrote: »
    Update: Just for fun I tried replicating the Concorde accident using Conc X again with the same weights, conditions etc as the real crash. The aircraftwas fine, even had enough power to climb and land at Le Bourget! I tried it in X-Plane (more accurate flight model) and it hit the ground and exploded.

Conclusion: The Concorde-X flight model is crap.

How do you know what the ZFW was on the day of the crash? You do realise that the main reason the concorde crashed was because of the fuel tank fire and wing disintegrating don't you? How did you model that? :rolleyes:

It wasn't because of lack of power that the crash happened

John_Mc wrote: »
    How do you know what the ZFW was on the day of the crash? You do realise that the main reason the concorde crashed was because of the fuel tank fire and wing disintegrating don't you? How did you model that? :rolleyes:

It wasn't because of lack of power that the crash happened

The accident report tells me what the ZFW was on the day of the crash. The main reason Concorde crashed because both left engines failed due to fuel and flame ingestion AND the gear stayed down. No power and too much drag. Read the accident report for more info. The aircraft could not stay airborne because it could not attain Vzrc (zero rate of climb with two engines out and gear down) with the gear down.

Advertisement