Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap calls (cheap for the person called)

• 16-05-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I'd like to call a friend who's in the US, but don't want to break the bank for her.

There are two choices: call her Irish mobile - there isn't a landline where she's staying - or call her son's US mobile.

What's the cheapest way for me to call her? For her, not for me. If I call her using Skype, for instance, or call her son using Skype, I'll pay per minute, but will she also pay for the incoming call?

And if she does pay, does she pay for a call from Ireland, or from the US-to-Ireland-to-US?

Same question about her son's mobile - if I call his number using Skype from Ireland, does he pay for a call from the US or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does she not have a computer? Skype to Skype calls are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ruu wrote: »
    Does she not have a computer? Skype to Skype calls are free.

No, her son doesn't have internet where he is, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

No, her son doesn't have internet where he is, unfortunately.

If he is in an urban area any starbucks, barnes + noble, many local coffee shops will have free wifi (you might have to buy a coffee).

I'd imagine if you call her Irish mobile then she is paying roaming rates, but if you call her son's mobile then he just pays the standard rate for receiving calls (you always pay to receive calls in the US). Get him to check his rate plan to make sure but that is my experience with both PAYG T-Mobile and bill pay AT&T.

if you call her son's mobile then he just pays the standard rate for receiving calls (you always pay to receive calls in the US). Get him to check his rate plan to make sure but that is my experience with both PAYG T-Mobile and bill pay AT&T.

Heh. Thanks for the advice, but we're talking about a starving actor here. Ain't no plan, man.

She's back now; it seems from the replies (for which thanks to everyone) that there's no way of doing the equivalent of an old-fashioned collect call, where the caller takes on the price of the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There is - add credit to your Skype account and call the US number. The receiver only gets charged as if a regular US cell called them (i.e. the standard incoming rate and not the international one). It costs you a couple of cents a minute.

Too late for you but might be some help for someone else :) It saved my social life when I moved home from the States :D

• Advertisement

Hm. Wouldn't have helped in a way - my friend that I wanted to call had an Irish mobile, so a call from the States would be dear for her; and the person she was staying with is an impoverished actor who doesn't like to get incoming calls on his US buy-credit-as-you-go phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ah, I thought the son might be more agreeable for his mum ;)

pow wow wrote: »
    Ah, I thought the son might be more agreeable for his mum ;)

Probably would be, but I wouldn't like to use up his money.

Advertisement