Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time 20th May 9.30 pm

Options
  • 16-05-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just to remind everyone that Prime Time on RTE at 9.30 pm on Thursday next will feature adoption. Please contact the show afterwards and hopefully if there is enough feed back perhaps RTE may consider doing more programmes about adoption, both on the part of the adopted person but also on the part of the natural parent.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks Grainne.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thought the show (like primetime regularly does) , focused on just one side of the adoption debate.

Takes two cases (one on medical , which I agree in principle) and one about a lady who has some legal issue, but it doesnt sound like its anymore then a biological parent trying to track down their child.

I am adopted and my biological parents tracked me down 12 years ago(through official and eventually unofficial methods) and my parents were left heartbroken at how they were approached . . That aside, I knew I was adopted and made no effort to be found. Luckily for me, it hasnt had a negative effect on my life (I still havent met them), but it would not be the case for everybody. I will always resent how my parents were upset when they found out that my biological parents wanted to meet me. .

I have heard these debates before on radio and am disgusted at how people ignore the rights of the families who took on the responsibility of bringing up the child. There is no debates on how it can impact the child (whether adult or not), their family or the negative things it can lead to.

There was NOTHING about the rights of the child (with biological parents looking for them) or the adopted parents, which was disgraceful . . Once a parent gives a child up for adoption they cannot just pick and choose when they want to be back in their lives. If the adopted parent decides not to tell the child, that is their right and they have earned that right after bringing up the child as their own (its the least they deserve). The biological parent made a choice , I just get annoyed when people play on the heartstrings to get ill educated goodwill and to avoid proper debate.

Even if they are a hard luck story, the most important people in this whole thing are the children and the adoptive family that brought up the child . . The rights of the biological parent is last thing of importance in my view . .

I was dissapointed, but not surprised, with the minister who actually could of used my views to show that its not SIMPLY a case of changing rules for the parents who have a desire to meet up with their children.

I dont expect everybody to agree with it, but once again RTE show ONE side of a much bigger story .

Advertisement