Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting a beer keg in half?

• 16-05-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hello, I'm trying to cut a beer keg in half (length ways) and my jig saw can't seem to manage it. I've tried a few different metal blades and the stub of the keg just files the teeth of the blade right off basically! I need something with a bit more grunt/authority!

What next, angle grinder, plasma torch? Any want to offer their services? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

messymess wrote: »
    Hello, I'm trying to cut a beer keg in half (length ways) and my jig saw can't seem to manage it. I've tried a few different metal blades and the stub of the keg just files the teeth of the blade right off basically! I need something with a bit more grunt/authority!

What next, angle grinder, plasma torch? Any want to offer their services? :)

Angle grinder would be my preferred choice. A 4" rather than 9" using thin cutting discs. They're not all that expensive given that you don't need a high quality one. Goggles/ear protection a must. And look up a YouTube vid on how to use one if you've no experience. They're not difficult to use safely but care must be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I think lidl or aldi had an angle grinder this week, I think I saw a thread about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, I saw that post about the lidl ones. I think the blades came up for a bit of abuse but maybe they'll do me. This is just a once off job anyways. I might try to find someone I know who has one already to save me the cost!
    Hopefully I'll still have all my digits at the end of the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

don,t forget to release the gas thats in the keg before you attempt to cut it

I did that courtesy of a screw and a hammer ... took me feckin ages to clean the guinness head off the garage ceiling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you want to cut metal with jigsaw you need to apply plenty of lubricant -- 3 in 1 oil or similar. I am not at all sure that an angle grinder will cut a beer keg -- are they not aluminium alloy? If so an angle grinder will bind up very rapidly indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hey OP
    +1 for angle grinder..
    & heavy duty gloves too!!

so im very curious why you are cutting a beer keg in half length ways or either way for that matter? whats it for? (please tell:D)

ART6, I'm pretty sure it's aluminium alright. I never knew that about the oil, I am a complete DIY numpty to be honest. It's just the stubs and the sides that seem to be quite tough, I've got a feeling that the long sides will be easier work.

If anyone else has any more input on that I'd appreciate it. So far the angle grinder is winning! But I don't want to buy one and then end up getting it plasma'd!

Piriz, I'm planning to put hinges/handle on it and turn it into a BBQ. I'm going to make a wooden frame for it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I don't know much about cutting but I do know this: most modern Irish kegs are aluminium but some (older Heinrich) ones are steel. Also even empty kegs usually have some pressurised gas still in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Ah, a Beer Keg BBQ sounds fantastic, very modern and appealing...
    you should post pics of it when its finished..
    the pressure issue should be investigated!!

• Advertisement

I can't see how using it for a BBQ is going to work if you have an aluminium keg. Aluminium melts at 600 degrees C while charcoal can burn at over 1,000 degrees. Surely it will melt?

Maybe someone will know if kegs are made from an alloy that has a higher melting temperature. I have no idea about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

They are stainless steel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

They seem to be more commonly stainless than aluminium.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keg
    But id imagine most of them are some form of dense alloy.

I think a good bet would be to hire an angle grinder from sam hire or the likes.
    You might even be able to bring the keg in and get them to give you a hand doing it if they're quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its actually illegal to destroy a beerkeg. Additionally its extreamly dangerous as its very thick aluminium which actually pulls on the angle grinder blade.

The reason its illegal is the law was written up because of the amount of kegs which went missing. They are now circulated like euro pallets but assigned to one brewery...

I cannot find the law but guarantee you its there.

Just a little snippet of the problem

http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Supply-Chain/Beer-keg-robbers-cost-brewers-millions

^ Interesting post! The beer keg was actually given to me by my local. In fact the owner of the pub helped me carry it to my car! ;)

To be pedantic about it, I'm not actually 'destroying it'. I'm transforming it into something beautiful. Besides one less keg in this country means a reduction in alcohoism and liver related diseases. I'm doing Harny a favour like!!

Do you want me to hand myself over to the gaurds when it's finished? :)

messymess wrote: »
    ^ Interesting post! The beer keg was actually given to me by my local. In fact the owner of the pub helped me carry it to my car! ;)

To be pedantic about it, I'm not actually 'destroying it'. I'm transforming it into something beautiful. Besides one less keg in this country means a reduction in alcohoism and liver related diseases. I'm doing Harny a favour like!!

Do you want me to hand myself over to the gaurds when it's finished? :)

Technically, if you are cutting it in half you are transforming it into two somethings beautiful;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

just fyi i dont mind what you do... I was not preaching just telling you to be carefull about advertising your creation that and watch cutting it... I use to collect scrap metal ;)

Right, the keg has been cut! I ended up using an 'alligator saw' and about 6 metal blades from a rental shop.

Not that tough going, just awkward. I made a mess of cutting around 'air pressure' connector ... but I'll just cut a large circle around it with a jigsaw tomorrow to redeem the mistake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jk536

hey i actually just did this a couple of weeks ago!i used a keg thats been around my house for years.i thought it was aluminium at first but soon found out it was stainless steel as i was cutting it.used my 9" grinder,didnt take too long.i used some old leaf springs for the legs and some scrap angle iron to join them together.heres a pic of the finished article if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Jesus,thats the jod isnt it :)

Looks great,id say it will cook the food perfect.Fair play,have a beer keg,gonna do the same,where would I get the kit to cut it?You dont live in Dublin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jk536

i fired it up for the first time for the champions league final on the weekend there,took 2kg of charcoal and worked a treat.one of the most satisfying burgers ive had in a long time!All i used to cut it was a 9 inch grinder.i put a line of masking tape around it to get a straight line and away i went.took about 20 mins to cut it and about 4 or 5 hours to make it alltogether.cut the corners of the keg first though because as the disc gets smaller it gets harder to reach into the very corner of it if you know what i mean.i learned this the hard way!weld a couple hinges on it and there ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Semtex. The Ra used to split beer kegs with this and it never(well almost never)failed. The results can be a bit variable though, and it can leave a ragged edge, but rubbing with sand paper should cure that, depending on what the ragged edge is on. Always wear goggles when doing this, and a hard hat, and a good pair of runners.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its actually illegal to destroy a beerkeg. Additionally its extreamly dangerous as its very thick aluminium which actually pulls on the angle grinder blade.

The reason its illegal is the law was written up because of the amount of kegs which went missing. They are now circulated like euro pallets but assigned to one brewery...

I cannot find the law but guarantee you its there.

Just a little snippet of the problem

http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Supply-Chain/Beer-keg-robbers-cost-brewers-millions

not sure about Ireland, but did you notice British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) and keg collectors Keg Watch.

otherwise if its illegal and their so expensive how come their lying along side of every pub waiting to be brought home :)

btw it looks very nice and original :)

Advertisement