Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 scam cold call

Options
  • 16-05-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

Don't know if this is the correct place to post so mods feel free to move.

I got a call 3pm ish yesterday from some guy claiming to be Paul something from O2. He asked me my name and I gave him my first name but didn't give him my surname when he asked.
    He said there is an issue with my account that he needs to fix but before he could tell me anything, he needed me to confirm my name, address and date of birth!!!!!
    I said only if he first gives me his address and DOB, he was a little shocked at this and asked a number of questions more and refusing to give me ant details except that he is Paul in their Dundalk call center. I played around with him before finally saying if there is an issue with my account he can write to me and I'm not giving him anything over the phone and then I hung up.
    I immediately call O2 and the rep told me there was an unauthorised attempt to access my account on the previous Saturday, the person trying to access got my DOB wrong!!!!!

I'm wondering has anyone got a similar call or has anyone actually given the details to these people?
    What could they want this info for and what could they do my account if they accessed it

I must be on some sort of Idiot list as I got this call previuosly:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

By the way, I'm not an idiot so if you're reading this, can you take me off the list please???LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

people will try anything these days i got a few bogey calls and asked where did they gey my number
    they said a data base so i said what data base my number is not listed in mobile directory conversation suddendly went blank on there side
    so i said your calling me so you should be able to provide me with the info your asking me so whats my name you said its on data base no reply whats my address no reply conversation over

on usefull tip

never bin your phone bill or any bill, burn it or shred it there is people going around checking bins and this is where it all begins for some of these scams :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

o2 don't even have a call centre in Dundalk, it's vodafone that have. Limerick is o2's HQ for the call centre iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

i got a call before from "bank of ireland"... just hung up and didnt give er anything...any sort of problem would be given usually in writing before. And they wouldnt need your details cause they would obviously would know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

I got a slightly strange call just after i got my N900.

They said they were from Vodafone, pointed out that my phone was "Data intensive" and asked if i'd like to move to another plan.

When i pointed out to him that my bill is under 50 a month, he seemed completely flumoxed as if he didn't actually have the bill details in front of him.

Maybe it was just poor organisation rather than dishonesty, but it seemed odd at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

o2 don't even have a call centre in Dundalk, it's vodafone that have. Limerick is o2's HQ for the call centre iirc.

I'm certain O2's call centre is in Plassey in Limerick
    Sounds very suspect
    OP did the right thing
    Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    people will try anything these days i got a few bogey calls and asked where did they gey my number
    they said a data base so i said what data base my number is not listed in mobile directory conversation suddendly went blank on there side
    so i said your calling me so you should be able to provide me with the info your asking me so whats my name you said its on data base no reply whats my address no reply conversation over

Just because you are not listed in the phone book doesn't mean you're number is not available to companies buying databases from teleco's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Isn't vodafones call center in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bobslifeforu

Just got this call too, he said he was "John-Paul" calling on behalf of o2, he offered me 250 euro in free credit if i moved back to o2 but it didnt sound genuine and the offer was rubbish in comparison to three's classic-flex :p i'd have to say beware of these guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

These con artists, even when working for their rip off masters, do not show numbers on your phone. Comreg (useless bunch that they are) should require all calls to come from a listed number that you can call back if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just got this call too, he said he was "John-Paul" calling on behalf of o2, he offered me 250 euro in free credit if i moved back to o2 but it didnt sound genuine and the offer was rubbish in comparison to three's classic-flex :p i'd have to say beware of these guys!

err...thats a genuine offer btw, its a free phone or 30.00 off a handset, 240 quid credit over 12 months and 50 credit for porting back to o2

if they call from 00442890530024 its legit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement