Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cookies too hard

Options
  • 16-05-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello there
    I am starting to get into cookies, I have only baked them a couple of times following the exact ingredients quantities. They taste nice but at the end, after an hour they got baked, they are just too hard.....
    is there a sort of secret, something that I am missing? :confused:
    Please help :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

They're hard an hour out of the oven, or an hour's baking time? Post the recipe and the method to see what's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 girasole225

Hi Magic Monkey,
    Thanks for your reply, they are coming out of the oven hardish but after an hour, they start to get even harder.
    here is the recipe:
    Flour, 250g
    Sugar, 125g
    Butter, 50g
    egg yokes, 2
    grated lemon skin, 1
    1 sprinkle of Salt

170 degrees for 12 minutes

the second time I made them, I added up yeast hoping it would change something but not much positive result come from this.
    Do you think adding up more butter would be better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It could just be the recipe you're using. I use the Odlums website for a lot of the things I bake, you should try some of their cookie recipes LINK
    Also, with a lot of cookies you need to take them out of the oven before they go hard and let them set as they cool.

The size of your cookies, how cold your butter is, and the actual temperature of your oven will all affect the hardness of your cookies. There's no need to add yeast to a cookie mixture.

You're correct in your guess that there's not enough butter. This is what may be making them hard, assuming everything else is right. Try this recipe instead:

Sugar Cookies
    Makes 36 x 3” cookies

· 170g butter, cubed
    · Zest of 1 lemon
    · 115g sugar
    · 1 tsp vanilla extract
    · 1 egg
    · 220g flour

1. Cream butter and lemon zest until pale. Scrape down sides of bowl, add sugar and vanilla extract.
    2. Cream until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl.
    3. Add egg, beat until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
    4. Add flour, beat until combined. Scrape down sides and beat until dough is well-mixed.
    5. Roll into a 1 ½” x 12” log using baking paper. Chill for 1 hour.
    6. Cut into slices. Arrange on baking tray.

Crisp: Bake @ 160c for 18-20 minutes
    Chewy: Bake @ 180c for 12-15 minutes

Thank you magic monkey and dizzyblond, you both gave me great tips. I will try again this weekend following the receipies you suggested and I will definatly let you girls know. ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Girls
    I just want to let you know that I made cookies again following your suggestions and ...succes!!! they came out just perfect:D
    Magic Monkey the receipie you gave me is vey nice, my boyfrind loves the cookies and.....dizzy blonde thank you for your tip, I never realize that sweets have to be treated differently then normal cooking when baked as they don't have to be complitly hard when they are in the oven.
    Thank you both now I will move on and try new receipie :P

You're welcome, I'm glad it worked out for you! BTW, I'm a guy :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're welcome girasole225, I'm glad they turned out well :)

Ops sorry magic monkey.....:P

Advertisement