Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headin to KK Tomorrow

• 16-05-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Headin up the new motorway tomorrow to the Marble 'town'...... looking at google maps it looks pretty straight forward until I get near the end at Knocktopher/sheepstown.

Does it get messy here cause knowing my luck I'll probably end up in Clare or somewhere. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Google Maps hasn't the full motorway on it yet, just hop on the motorway it ends in Danesfort, when you get off at the roundabout turn left on your on the old road from Waterford to KK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Junior wrote: »
    Google Maps hasn't the full motorway on it yet, just hop on the motorway it ends in Danesfort, when you get off at the roundabout turn left on your on the old road from Waterford to KK.

Openstreetmap is far far more up to date.

It doesn't have the handy features like directions that Google has though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Thanks lads, so basically if I stay on the inside lane at the roundabout and watch out for a left turn for the N10 I should be ok.

KK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Went up past Kilkenny on Friday and came back today. Tis fairly easy to get to Kilkenny coming from the new motor way and just as easy to get back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

37minutes from Ardkeen to the Kilkenny ring road!

• Advertisement

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    37minutes from Ardkeen to the Kilkenny ring road!

was that by Aer Arran:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

impossible to go wrong as you either take the correct road to Kilkenny 'town' at the roundabout or end up on the road to Knocktopher (?). Alternatively you could keep going straight on....

cheers lads...at least Open Maps show the motorway in Blue and as the M9 unlike google.

cheers lads...at least Open Street Maps show the motorway in Blue and as the M9 unlike google.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Once at the old bridge in Waterford, keep into the left lane and take the slip road towards the N9. You will continue on a dual carriage way, passing two sets of traffic lights, and remaining in the left lane unless overtaking.

You will come to a roundabout which has three exits - the first for the N9 (this is closed for a few months, but you can use this road to go to Limerick for example), the second for the bypass and the third for Ferrybank. Take the second exit and continue onto the next roundabout.

As you approach the next roundabout - it gets pretty tricky as there is a few lanes. You move into the right lane this time as the left one is marked for left turn only. This roundabout has three exits - the first brings you over the new bridge towards cork or the ORR, the second brings you towards the M9 (Motorway to Dublin) and the third brings you onto the bypass going for New Ross. Take the second exit and continue on (the lanes are indicated clearly for which one you need to use, if in doubt).

You will approach another roundabout then with two exits - one bound for Limerick and one bound for Dublin on the M9. Take the second exit and you will enter onto the motorway. Keep to the left lane unless over taking.

Travel along the motorway for about 15-20mins or so and you will pass a number of exits such as Mullinavat and Thomastown. Eventually you will see road work signs which indicate a diversion ahead and the right lane being closed. This brings you onto the Kilkenny exit as the rest of the motorway has not yet been completed. As you take the exit ramp, you will enter a roundabout with two exits - the first for Kilkenny and the second brings you onto the N9. Take the first exit and continue on.

Carry on for about 10mins or so and you will arrive at the first of Kilkennys roundabout (the one before the ORR). I assume you know where to go from here :)

Good Luck and enjoy the drive :)

(Note: Just a tip - there are numerous garda bays along the motorway for checking speed etc. They also check it on the slip road as you pass by. One particular offense people seem unaware of is driving in the wrong lane. If you drive on the right lane all the time you can be fined €60 and given 1 penalty point by the Gardai).

• Advertisement

Jeepers I forgot leaving Waterford would be more complicated than entering KK. Thanks a million Sully for your detailed directions, much appreciated and if I get lost now...then I deserve to:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

dayshah wrote: »
    Openstreetmap is far far more up to date.

It doesn't have the handy features like directions that Google has though.

maps.cloudmade.com has directions that use Openstreetmap data.

Example here:

Advertisement