Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting out of a Contract

Options
  • 16-05-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get out of a contract? I just signed a year lease with my then boyfriend a month ago today and we decided we don't actually wana be together anymore. He plans on staying in the house but if both our names are on the lease would we both have to move out? Or can I just advertise the room and take my name off the contract? The letting agent are a bit of a nightmare to deal :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get out of a contract? I just signed a year lease with my then boyfriend a month ago today and we decided we don't actually wana be together anymore. He plans on staying in the house but if both our names are on the lease would we both have to move out? Or can I just advertise the room and take my name off the contract? The letting agent are a bit of a nightmare to deal :mad:

You committed to a lease, a fully binding legal document. They're not easy to get out of, however I'm sure if you explain things to the agent and a replacement is found for the room the worst I see is you losing your deposit.

If a replacement cannot be found then you are liable for your share of the rent, for the full term of the lease regardless if you live there or not.

Oh and thats a great username I must exclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

You committed to a lease, a fully binding legal document. They're not easy to get out of, however I'm sure if you explain things to the agent and a replacement is found for the room the worst I see is you losing your deposit.

If a replacement cannot be found then you are liable for your share of the rent, for the full term of the lease regardless if you live there or not.

Oh and thats a great username I must exclaim.

Cheers for the reply. Apparently by my contract I can't rent out a room to another person and the way things are the price of the rent here is pretty steep for just someone to move in We rented the house thinking we'd be here together for the year and got some extras in that puts up the utilities for any potential people and looking on daft we'd be looking for nearly €70 more than the same option somewhere else :( Stupid I know! If I leave then my ex will have to leave and he's made it clear he won't be doing anything to help me move on. I'm fairly embarrassed at the prospect of going into the letting agent as I know there impossible to deal with and hate the idea of actually helping anyone. But it looks like thats my only option at the moment. Thanks again :D:D

Advertisement