Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Ronnie James Dio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

RIP Dio

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RIP

.. shocked to say the least. Even with his recent illness, there were no reports of any detiorioration or anything.

\m/

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

RIP Ronnie.

One of the true voices of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Ah man, I was hoping to see him perform in the O2 with Maiden.

RIP, Dio!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Fu*king hell, huge shock thought he was recovering!! RIP another great Legend gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

R.I.P. Ronnie .... in a time when the word "legend" has lost it's meaning , you were the dictionary definition of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i cant belive this ,very sad day

what a legend glad i got too see him. r.i.p :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

jesus what a shock...r.i.p ronnie
    best metal vocalist ever:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Big loss for the metal scene, he was a legend. Head and shoulders above the rest (even though he didn't look it ! :)).

I'm greatful I got to see him perform twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

RIP

Can't believe Dio's gone... I already had a nice little weep to myself, silly as it may sound to some. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Metal has lost one of it's greatests voices.

Rock In Peace, Ronnie!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭witchqueen

Met Ronnie James Dio after one of his shows he played in the club where i was working, after the gig he came out of the backstage area and asked me "wheres the party?" I said "you wanna party? great we will have a party" he had some drinks and stayed with us until 3am, he was such a kind and lovely man.

R.I.P. DIO you finally made your way to the temple of the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Terrible news, a sad loss to the world of music. Absolute legend.

My thoughts go to his family. Rest in peace Dio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

amazing how Blabbermouth.net's main page is literally packed with comments from a who's who of the metal world...this man touched a lot of lives and its sad to see him go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A message on Metallica's website

Dear Ronnie,
    I just got off stage in Zagreb. I was met with the news that you've passed on. I'm kind of in shock, but I wanted you to know that you were one of the main reasons I made it onto that stage to begin with. When I first saw you in Elf, opening for Deep Purple in 1975, I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence, and the ease with which you seemed to connect to 6000 Danish people and one starry-eyed 11 year old, most of whom were not familiar with Elf's music. The following year, I was so psyched when I heard the results of you joining forces with my favorite guitar player. You guys sounded so right for each other and I instantly became Rainbow's #1 fan in Denmark. In the fall of 1976, when you played your first show in Copenhagen, I was literally in the front row and the couple of times we made eye contact you made me feel like the most important person in the world. The news that you guys were staying in town on your day off somehow embedded itself in my brain and I made the pilgrimage to the Plaza Hotel to see if I could somehow grab a picture, an autograph, a moment, anything. A few hours later you came out and were so kind and caring... pictures, autographs and a couple minutes of casual banter. I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything. Rainbow came to Copenhagen a couple more times over the next few years and each time you guys blew my mind, and for a good three years were my absolute favorite band on this planet. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to run into you a half dozen times or so and each time you were as kind, caring and gracious as you were in 1976 outside the hotel. When we finally got a chance to play together in Austria in 2007, even though I may not have let on, I was literally transformed back to that little snot nosed kid who you met and inspired 31 years earlier and it was such a ****ing honor and a dream come true to share a stage with you and the rest of the legends in Heaven and Hell. A couple of weeks ago when I heard that you were not going to be able to make it to the Sonisphere shows that we would be sharing this June, I wanted to call you and let you know that I was thinking of you and wish you well, but I kind of pussied out, thinking the last thing you needed in your recovery was feeling obligated to take a phone call from a Danish drummer/fan boy. I wish I'd made that call. We will miss you immensely on the dates, and we will be thinking of you with great admiration and affection during that run. It seemed so right to have you out on tour with the so-called “Big Four” since you obviously were one of the main reasons that the four bands even exist. Your ears will definitely be burning during those two weeks because all of us will be talking, reminiscing and sharing stories about how knowing you has made our lives that much better.

Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you.

Much love,

Lars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Unsure if any of ye are off to Download, but they've annouced this:
    Awesome news – Download booker Andy has just tweeted this: 'The second stage at Download this year is to be renamed the Ronnie James Dio stage as a tribute to the great man with the incredible voice'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Just found out.

Can't believe it :(

RIP Dio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I never got to see him live as I only really became a fan after his last Irish gig. Since that time, I've picked up a fair bit of Rainbow, Sabbath and solo stuff. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Maiden later this year but H&H & Ronnie in particular were the main draw when I bought that ticket. He's an absolute legend and I'm very sad to see him go. As many others have said, he certainly seemed like one of the soundest lads in music. RIP RJD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Aw man :(

Got a text this morning about his death, what a crappy way to start off my week!

RIP Dio, you were a true legend in every sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dio rocked.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

RIP Dio. such a legend - a word that is often bandied about, but in his case, it perfectly encapsulates him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Ride the wind to the sun
    Sail away on ships of wonder
    But life's not a wheel
    With chains made of steel
    So bless me come the dawn
    Come the dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Always loved his cameo with Meat Loaf at the start of the Tenacious D movie, about the only good thing that came from that movie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sad news. Reading the comments of some of rock/metals biggest names right now makes you realise the impact he had on the genre during his time. Good idea from the Download crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The world is now a little less epic

RIP Dio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Rest in peace Dio... :(

I remember when I was fourteen me and one of my best mates got our electric guitars out on Halloween and played Holy Diver (and the theme songs from Halloween and The Exorcist) in the front garden...

R.I.P. dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RIP Dio.

Advertisement