Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third river crossing (road)

• 16-05-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Any updates on this?

It part of the City development plan:

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/developmentplan/DevelopmentPlanAsIssued.pdf

(p.27)

The suggestion is a crossing (could be tunnel or a bridge) around the Maypark area - as part of an extension to the existing Ring Road.

What do people think?

My opinion is a City Centre bridge would be of more benefit - around the Tower for example, as an extension to The Mall. This would allow one way traffic along the Quays and on the Ferrybank side (like a giant roundabout) with buses running both ways.

BTW: This project in addition to any pedestrian bridge to the North Quays

Third river crossing, where? 21 votes

Existing plan around Maypark
    0% 0 votes
    Centre, near the Tower
    23% 5 votes
    Centre, between the Tower and Rice Bridge
    47% 10 votes
    Downstream beyond Maypark
    9% 2 votes
    Downstream between the Tower and Maypark
    4% 1 vote
    Other
    9% 2 votes
    Forget it, the country is bust
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Id like to see it way down stream near Passage, I think it look brilliant something their could be very iconic, that would be a huge job possibly only possible if the next taoiseach was from Waterford.
    It would take traffic away from the city centre.
    It would be so high you wouldnt need to worry about ships or bridge lifts

A more logical choice i think would be like you said at the tower.

I dont see how May park would be possible, its a largely residential area and the ring road runs straight into the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

rockshire rd. to tower should be the best bet ,but the traffic plan for the area would have to be 1 way for the whole city centre, for it to work.
    wont happen for 30-50 years if ever, doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

jayboi wrote: »
    Id like to see it way down stream near Passage, I think it look brilliant something their could be very iconic, that would be a huge job possibly only possible if the next taoiseach was from Waterford..

But relatively few people live there, and it wouldn't link into any other major network. Also I think the high cliffs at the Waterford side would pose a problem, and the further downstream you go the wider the river gets.

A bridge at the tower would link in with the Cork Rd and road to New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

dayshah wrote: »
    But relatively few people live there, and it wouldn't link into any other major network. Also I think the high cliffs at the Waterford side would pose a problem, and the further downstream you go the wider the river gets.

A bridge at the tower would link in with the Cork Rd and road to New Ross.

It would be cliffs on both on both side id imagine, so you'd be looking a bridge unlike others in the county at the moment more like the golden gate bridge for all the world.

i totally agree there's little or no vital road networks on either side but that’s something that could/should be looked at.
    There’s already rumblings over the car ferry and the volume of traffic in passage.

Another bridge by the tower would not do a lot for the town it merely moves everything a few hundred meters down the river and actually it is likely to highly increase traffic on the Mall all the way out the Cork rd it would likely would only lessen the numbers taking the second river crossing in favour of traffic coming straight through the city.

Actually does anyone else think the second river crossing it totally overkill, did we need such a fancy bridge?
    could we of had a simpler river crossing at a lower cost years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

A third river crossing is a pipe dream....if there was any money available in the future it would be best used to buy out the new bridge toll operator and make it toll free.

But if the country was to become mega rich overnight and we could afford it , I think a bridge down by the tower hotel would be best.....back in 1980 that's where the second river crossing was planned to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If this happens in our lifetimes (or before fuel runs out) I'll be surprised.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Foot/cycle bridge from ferrybank over to the tower, encourage people to cycle into waterford more easily and faster, at present the likes of rice bridge/ferryback dual carriage way puts alot of people off....as they perceive it as very dangerous

You want to make things safer so a foot/cycle bridge is the way to come...would also encourage easier access to the centre of the city for shopping/going out etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Yeah, I think it's overkill, and it would probably increase traffic on the Mall/Cork rd., as psychologically a route straight through the city centre might be seen as a stronger alternative to the bypass, as has been said. Even though the Cork rd. is busy enough as it is.

I think a footbridge/cycletrack is what we need from the tower to connect directly to Ferrybank. At the moment, the northern suburbs are completely detached from the city centre except by car.

Advertisement