Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Digitial SLR

• 16-05-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking into buying my first digital slr camera. I have a medium budget but really can't afford to go over the top with this buy so I would really apreicate any help you guys could give me to choose a cheapish but pretty good quality slr.

I've only got a 7.2mp compact camera at the minute so I've been thinking of upgrading for a while now so anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that they're all very good! I have a Pentax K-X and I find it's very good. Others say that the canon 500/550 and the equivalent nikon (numbers escape me) are also Very Good. Also Olympus, Sigma, Sony, Panasonic all seem to do cameras in the same range, with similar specs.

Go to shop. Pick em up. Play with em. Also read www.dpreview.com. That should help you decide.

Edit: Pentax K-X best entry-level DSLR in Europe according to TIPA. Link: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2010/201009.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You could also try HERE. Your head will be melted. But it's worth it!:)

THIS BOOK is a must-have when you move up to DSLRs. Buy it straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I see some of those cameras have up to 26x optical zoom...

how much noise is actually present in any photo taken at 26x zoom... because I find with my camera at the moment if i zoom at all it seems to reduce the quaillity somewhat... i only have 3x optical zoom on my current camera so I can't imagine what a 26x zoom would look like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm currently looking into buying my first digital slr camera. I have a medium budget but really can't afford to go over the top with this buy so I would really apreicate any help you guys could give me to choose a cheapish but pretty good quality slr.

Start with the FAQ:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55212558&postcount=27
    I've only got a 7.2mp compact camera at the minute so I've been thinking of upgrading for a while now so anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with 7.2Mp. That's a lot more resolution than most of us will
    ever need.

I would tend to favour Canon because of the large range of lenses
    available, good low light performance and good autofocus performance.
    The Pentax K-x is also highly rated for low light performance.

Nikon and Olympus have some very nice models available too.
    How much were you planning to spend?

My own order of preference for an entry level to mid range DSLR:
    Canon 550D, Canon 500D, Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000, Olympus E-600......

No doubt some of the other posters would rearrange the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I see some of those cameras have up to 26x optical zoom...

how much noise is actually present in any photo taken at 26x zoom... because I find with my camera at the moment if i zoom at all it seems to reduce the quaillity somewhat... i only have 3x optical zoom on my current camera so I can't imagine what a 26x zoom would look like

people who work with dslrs don't generally have a concept of what 26x zoom actually means - cameras themselves don't zoom once you get to dslrs, it's the lenses that determine the focal length, and this is usally expressed in mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

You cannot go wrong with any recent DSLR on the market. First thing would be to leave your credit card at home and go to a bigger store that has the major brands Pentax, Canon, Sony (and the toy cameras too), let them show you the entry level models, try them how they fit in your hands, if you find controls easily and how is the feeling of the camera.
    Once that is done, research the brand and even come here to discuss what would be your aim in photography. Recommendations of body (or bodies) and especially lenses will follow.

after a bit more research i'm thinking I'd rather go with some form of a bridge camera such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35/38

Does anyone have any advice on camera's such as these.. This camera is around my budget range so a full dslr is out of my budget at the moment.

any thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

after a bit more research i'm thinking I'd rather go with some form of a bridge camera such as the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35/38

Does anyone have any advice on camera's such as these.. This camera is around my budget range so a full dslr is out of my budget at the moment.

any thoughts

Theres a sony dslr in argos for just under 325€ which seems good value

Did have a panasonic bridge (FZ7) camera for a while, was nice enough to use, but was never that happy with the image quality (dynamic range always seemed too limited)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paulydub

If your looking at a bridge camera try find one with a universal hot shoe on top. you would be able to use an external flash gun.
    Canon powershot sx20 is 399 avg with cashback offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

any thoughts

The FZ38 is an outstandingly good bridge camera. Just about every independent
    review rates it as one of the best. You could buy this one with confidence.
    I have the FZ-28 and I find it very good.

The closest you will get to a DSLR without actually buying one is
    the new Fujifilm HS10. Oddly enough, our local chemist seems to
    be one of the cheapest places to buy one!
    http://www.buy4now.ie/sammccauley/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=5320&loc=P&catid=62.17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I have the Pentax K-m which is the same as the K-x, it's a brilliant camera to start out with but once you start looking for lenses it can be a bit of a pain as the likes of Canon and Nikon bodies have a much better range of lenses. They're still a great camera and combine it with some good glass and you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got a great deal from a person called Ian Kerr. Email him at kerso1123@msn.com for a price list, but it's helpful if you know what you're looking for. Saved me a good bit of money at the time on a Canon 450D, compared to local shops. Google his email, and you'll come up with lots of other happy customers.

Not sure if he does bridge cameras, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'm another Pentax user.

You could probably get a used K10D or K20D for a good price somewhere.
    The K-x & K-m are also good options. (I shoot on a K20D with a K10D as a backup body.)

If you're at all serious about photography.. you'll end up finding a bridge camera very limiting.

The SONY mentioned earlier in the thread from Argos is probably a good camera, and it probably comes with a Carl Zeiss lens. (although.. I hate SONY cameras.. mainly because they're not made by a "camera company" call me a snob if you will.)

If you can find a shop that carries a bunch of different brands.. get the entry level ones in your hands and see what feels "natural" and then look at the pricetags. You might find that the ones that feels "good" in your hands isn't the most expensive. You might also find good kit deals with lenses. The stock kit lenses that come with a Canon or a Pentax I don't much care for.. I do like the 18-70mm that Nikon tends to put in their kits. The glass you get with it can make a big difference.. so don't fail to consider it. Some shops will put a Sigma lens in a kit with a camera.. that's usually not bad either.

If you want to have good help with your camera, and help learning how to use it.. buy it from a shop with helpful people. That'll cost you a little more, and probably limit you to Pentax, Nikon, Canon and maybe Konica-Minolta and Olympus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Heebie wrote: »
    You might also find good kit deals with lenses. The stock kit lenses that come with a Canon or a Pentax I don't much care for.. I do like the 18-70mm that Nikon tends to put in their kits. The glass you get with it can make a big difference.. so don't fail to consider it. Some shops will put a Sigma lens in a kit with a camera.. that's usually not bad either.
    Good point, the kit lens that's supplied with the K-x isn't that great, it'll do the job but you'll soon want to change it for something of higher quality.

I think the kit lens is the same 18-55mm lens that came with my K10D when I bought it. I replaced it within 2-3 months of getting the camera with a Sigma 18-70mm that's much better.
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Good point, the kit lens that's supplied with the K-x isn't that great, it'll do the job but you'll soon want to change it for something of higher quality.

After a fair amount of googling I think I've decided to go with the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38... I'm going to look in a few camera shops to get a feel for the camera before purchasing.. hoping to get a look at one next time I'm in the big smoke...

any tips on good camera shops in the Dublin city centre general area that would have this camera in stock and also have friendly staff that are willing to help:cool::cool:

I think it's unlikely that you'll find a Panasonic camera at a camera shop.. but you might. You're more likely to find it at at department store, an electronics store, or a discount store

You do realise that it's a bridge camera & not an SLR, right?
    After a fair amount of googling I think I've decided to go with the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ38... I'm going to look in a few camera shops to get a feel for the camera before purchasing.. hoping to get a look at one next time I'm in the big smoke...

any tips on good camera shops in the Dublin city centre general area that would have this camera in stock and also have friendly staff that are willing to help:cool::cool:

I started off with an Olympus E-420 and thought it was great. Still have it along with a canon 20D and whilst i admit I prefer the Canon at times (simpler to change some settings) the Olympus E-420 is still used a lot by me and I think it's a great camera.

It's currently on offer in Argos for about €360 or thereabouts. They're phasing it out though (whatever they have in stock is obviously the last of them). They're not available online but they're in the in-store catalgoues on special added pages. The cat number is 559-3086.

The camera does really well on DPReview, averaging an 8 out of 10.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse420/page30.asp

Like i say though, it's obviously end of line to them and not in the online catalogue, so you'd need to ring your local store with the catalogue number and ask if they have it (Drogheda had 1 in stock last week).

If I were you, if it's in your budget, I'd snap it up.

That said though, Canon/Nikon are more popular cameras (hence, I also have a canon)so their second hand market is a lot bigger, meaning getting more lenses, etc. down the line will work out cheaper. I still recommend the E-420 as a good starter though.

Heebie wrote: »
    You do realise that it's a bridge camera & not an SLR, right?

Yup I do know that's it's a bridge camera but an slr is outside of my budget at the minute... the panasonic looks to be a good camera from every review I've seen so I think it'll be a good purchase for my needs anyways

Yup I do know that's it's a bridge camera but an slr is outside of my budget at the minute... the panasonic looks to be a good camera from every review I've seen so I think it'll be a good purchase for my needs anyways

If it suits your needs.. and you get it in your hands and it feels good.. go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement