Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a hooded crow at the side of the road..

Options
  • 16-05-2010 8:34pm

Ok so me and the gf were walking along earlier and we saw a hooded crow that looked like it was dead beside a bin. We went over and saw it's eyes move so we picked it up and brought it to a local vet - who was closed. So he's now in a box with some tissue etc as padding.

We tried giving him some water with a turkey baster and some mushy food but although he was drinking the water he seemed to puke up the water a little bit later. It's like he couldn't swallow properly. We think he might have flown into a car or a bus and made it to the side of the road after.

He's been sleeping in the box for a while now, just checked up on him and he's still alive but didn't want any water and just went back to sleep. What should I do with him? If he makes it through the night he's going straight to the vet tomorrow. Is there anything I should be doing for the poor fella?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Could be poisoned!!! Most common poison farmer's use is alphachloralose. It kill them by reducing metabolism and animal dies from hypothermia. Keeping it warm is the treatment of choice in this poisoning....
    Still it could be a rta, check for any broken wings or fractured legs

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Where did you find it? my friend keeps finding sick crows by her house too in Cork City.

Feargal - it doesn't seem to have broken wings/legs. Could have broken ribs or something.

Creedons - Found it in Drumcondra in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The best thing to do is to leave him in the box somewhere quiet and warm. Leave a bowl of sugary water for him, and just see if he's still alive in the morning. There's not much you can do unfortunately but I hope he'll make it

Heading to bed now. Hope he makes it, although I know the chances might be slim, he's a little trooper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Did he make it through the night?

Yeah he's still going. Bout the same as yesterday though, doesn't seem to have improved at all. I took him out of the box and he just kinda stood there looking at me. So I put him back in and he went asleep again.

Going to the vet with him later this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Suppose standing is a good thing, cause if he was that weak he wouldn't be able?

Fair play to you going through all this i can't say i know many that would go through it for a crow. Dogs and cats different story.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

fair dues to you for taking him in,,i hope he'll be ok...

At least he's getting every chance of being saved, more than most wild animals :)

• Advertisement

Well he's with the vet now. They said they'll have a look at him and keep him for 24 hours to see if he can improve.
    Hope he ends up getting another chance but at least he didn't die at the side of the road and had some comfort. He's a lovely little fella, was really trusting (Guess he didn't have much of a choice though).

So I asked the vet to ring me anyway and let me know what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Could be poisoned!!! Most common poison farmer's use is alphachloralose...

I love the leap to it being poisoned by a farmer! :rolleyes:

OP: You have done very well. Most people would consider that it is a vermin species and not worth saving. I hope, for your sake as much as the Hoodie, that it survives. Please keep us up to date on developments and of course the cause of the problem. My money is on a traffic accident or possibly botulism from feeding on bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

any update on our feathered friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I love the leap to it being poisoned by a farmer! :rolleyes:

OP: You have done very well. Most people would consider that it is a vermin species and not worth saving. I hope, for your sake as much as the Hoodie, that it survives. Please keep us up to date on developments and of course the cause of the problem. My money is on a traffic accident or possibly botulism from feeding on bins.
    OK so, a sheep farmer or a gamekeeper poisoned the crow,
    Who else poisons crows??????????????????????????
    Botulism toxicity alot less common than farmer/gamekeeper poisoning.

let us know what happends to the poor sod please,,with any luck he'll be ok:)

Well no word from the vet since I dropped him in, which I suppose might be good seeing as I presume they would have told me if they put him down straight away.
    I'll ring in the morning and update then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Could be you're jumping to wild conclusions based on an internet thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

A lot of things may have happened to that crow, natural, accidental or intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What a leap again. This bird was found in Drumcondra beside a bin. My experience with poisoned Hooded Crows is that they fall close to the source of the poisoning. We don't even know this bird was poisoned. Why the huge assumption?
    Gamekeepers? Come on! Around Drumcondra! :D Hoodies tend to stick to feeding areas. This guy probably hadn't seen a field in a long time.
    But again, why the assumption of a) poison and b) farmers.

Well he died a few hours after I left him in. They said they didn't really know what was wrong with him - I'm assuming they weren't going to go to great lengths for a random bird, but he was refusing food and water so tbh it could have been anything.

Poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

:(

• Advertisement

Poor bird :(

At least you tried, that's all you can do.

With animals like that it's really hard to know what's wrong with them, even if you do loads of tests, and they get stressed out so easily too.

ahh the poor bird ,,,thanks for trying anyway at least you gave him a chance:(

Advertisement