Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building UK site off main site

Options
  • 16-05-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a .com website hoted in Ireland but need to get into the Uk search engines. Should I go with a .co.uk and replicate the original site or should I do a subdomain off the main site and geolocate it in the Uk under webmaster tools in Google?

Also any ideas on the best sites, freelance project sites etc, to look for the talent who can do such work?
    Looking to employ someone here in Ireland so not looking at elance etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Kumejima wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a .com website hoted in Ireland but need to get into the Uk search engines. Should I go with a .co.uk and replicate the original site or should I do a subdomain off the main site and geolocate it in the Uk under webmaster tools in Google?

Also any ideas on the best sites, freelance project sites etc, to look for the talent who can do such work?
    Looking to employ someone here in Ireland so not looking at elance etc.

Personally I would always go for doing as much as I possibly can to geo-target a site. However, in most cases, it's not possible to cover all bases. In some cases, the bare minimum will be enough to get decent results.

If it was my site, I would treat this website as a completely different site than the original site. Starting to build everything from the roots up as I would have done with the main site - this will clearly take some time - but it will be worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

When you say build the site from the ground up, what do you mean exactly? Its on a WP platform, so the SEO optimisation on that works very well - surely keeping more or less the same structure, content, etc wouldn't be a problem, as long as you change the tags, headers etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

If you replicate your website, then you lose all the links etc. you built on with the old site. If this is important, then maybe the subdomain route would be best.

If this doesn't worry you, then the replication method you mentioned would be OK. You would have to start seo again, but good opportunities for cross linking with your present site.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Thanks for the advice. So roughly how much do you reckon I can get this done for? And where should I be looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

PM me the URL of the site and I'll give you a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Kumejima wrote: »
    When you say build the site from the ground up, what do you mean exactly? Its on a WP platform, so the SEO optimisation on that works very well - surely keeping more or less the same structure, content, etc wouldn't be a problem, as long as you change the tags, headers etc?

Hi Kumejima

Sorry, I didn't mean rebuild the site completely - but basically replicate the site, with its own content and rebuild all links etc back to the website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

You can use the same website to get in Uk search engines.You dont have to buy a co.uk domain or to geotarget a subdomain .I had a similar job about 1 year ago and i used the same domain to get good places in search engines for 3 countries.I usually optimize the website for Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.If you replicate the website this will be considered duplicate content.I live in Dublin, so if you need extra help, pm me.

Advertisement