Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking for advice

Options
  • 16-05-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit if advice, just back form my first surfing weekend there and I've caught the bug, looking to get into it more seriously and buy my own gear.

Only problem is that I haven't got a clue what gear I should be looking at, I've checked the stickies but didn't see any advice in terms of what type/length of board to get, I'm a complete beginner at the moment but obviously I'd want a board that I won't grow out of in a couple months and with a bit of practice, am I right in saying that as a general rule the smaller the board the harder it is?

Also can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what price is reasonable for a wetsuit? I see that people are recommending getting a decent winter suit and just using that all year round?

Not too worried about price at the mo, would prefer to get decent gear that'd last + a board that I wouldn't have to keep changing as I got better etc

Anyone got any advice? Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mack32

whoops scratch that!! missed the beginner sticky! D'oh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Depends on where you live, Cork or Dublin? There was a club in cork not sure if there still is or if they have gear - if you live in dublin then maybe have a look at the east coast surf club they have a few beginers boards so you can try before you buy - no suits though.

As for boards - to begin with it should be roughly 18 inches taller than you and wide. Width makes it less twitchy when poping up and lenght helps with catching waves. Though a lot of people start on a longboard as well. You'd be looking of something like a min-mal or a longboard to begin. There are board which are siuited to beginners - plastic or strong epoxy boards that can take abuse. BIC 7'9, NSP 7'6 Circle One 7'10 are all examples.

Keep an eye on Advert.ie and gumtree.ie there's a few board there at the moment one warning don't be tempted by a bic 7'3 they suck.

As for wet suits 3/2 is a summers suit 5/3 a winter and 4/3 a 3 seaason suit - you'd be fine with a 5'3 all year and add boots, gloves and a hat for the winter. 4/3 is pushing it for all year and 3/2 is really only a summer suit possibly only on a sunny day.

Also fit is so important it makes the suit if it doens't fit properly then you'll be cold.

When you're getting boots get one size smaller if you take 10 in shoes get 9's they swell up with water.

Advertisement