Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French verbs

Options
  • 16-05-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of a list of the verbs that must be learnt for the LC? And also, what tenses should I know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

There's no set list of verbs that you should know. After 6 years of studying French, you really should have built up a store of vocabulary. As for tenses, you should know the the present, the passe compose, the imperfect, the conditionel and the futur proche and the futur simple. Learning the subjunctif is a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Their Is a list though... So don't listen to this guy. Look in ur LC French book should be something useful in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

kev9100 wrote: »
    There's no set list of verbs that you should know. After 6 years of studying French, you really should have built up a store of vocabulary. As for tenses, you should know the the present, the passe compose, the imperfect, the conditionel and the futur proche and the futur simple. Learning the subjunctif is a good idea too.
    Yeah, I'm in TY and I already have a large vocabulary because I have such a great interest in the language. I just want to know which are necessary to know. I know most of the irregulars and quite a few regulars. Thanks for the list of tenses too. Should I have learnt those tenses already? Or are they learnt in 5th/6th year? Because I only have the present, passe compose and futur simple in all of them and the conditionel in a few..

fufureida wrote: »
    Their Is a list though... So don't listen to this guy. Look in ur LC French book should be something useful in that.
    Okay cool, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Yeah, I'm in TY and I already have a large vocabulary because I have such a great interest in the language. I just want to know which are necessary to know. I know most of the irregulars and quite a few regulars. Thanks for the list of tenses too. Should I have learnt those tenses already? Or are they learnt in 5th/6th year? Because I only have the present, passe compose and futur simple in all of them and the conditionel in a few..

Ah, fair enough. I thought you were a 6th year. It depends on the teacher, but you should do most of those tenses in 5/6 year. Although, some teachers leave out the subjunctif as they don't think its necessary anymore.

• Advertisement

What is the subjunctif?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

There is not a set list of verbs one must learn/use in the Leaving Cert. The book gives lists of useful and commonly-used verbs, that's all. The list of verbs that can be known and used in the French exam is not exhaustive. There is no such 'list' in existence.

OP, the subjunctive is a tense you learn at senior cycle. It will be explained in any LC French textbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

What is the subjunctif?

The subjunctive is a ''mood.'' You could call it a tense though, you use if uncertain circumstances and under certain conditions. It's quite tricky but you need to cover it for the Leaving Cert if you want an A, and be able to recognise it for the reading comprehensions.

Know the:
    Present
    Past
    Imperfect
    Simple Future
    Near Future
    Conditional
    Present Subjunctive
    Reflexive verbs
    Pronouns
    Prepositions

you need to be able to recognise the present subjunctive, passe simple and pluperfect for the reading comprehensions.

and you need to know a bit about constructions such as 'venir de' and using 'si' clauses.

The back of any textbook or revision book will have verb tables of all the irregular ones you are required to learn. It looks like a lot, but it's manageable. The most difficult tense to learn is the present tense, and once you have a grasp of that the others will come quite easily, they all have far less irregular verbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

You dont really have to worry about much if you pay attention in class, write down the french and english of words you dont understand and learn them. Your teacher should go through all the tenses listed above in the next few years and everything will progress naturally in class :)

MavisDavis wrote: »
    There is not a set list of verbs one must learn/use in the Leaving Cert. The book gives lists of useful and commonly-used verbs, that's all. The list of verbs that can be known and used in the French exam is not exhaustive. There is no such 'list' in existence.

OP, the subjunctive is a tense you learn at senior cycle. It will be explained in any LC French textbook.

yes their is.

It's at the back if Nouveux Montage.
    it exists.
    Mist commonly used verbs in daily life.

Their is a 'list' of verbs that u need to have a grasp of.

Dont tell peoplel otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

yes their is.

it exists.

If you had read my post more clearly, you would see that I said there are lists of commonly-used and useful verbs in the back of most French books and that these are very important. However, the questions was about an obligatory list of verbs, a list you HAVE to know for the exam, which does not exist.
    There is no way of knowing what you will be asked in your French exam and what verbs will be necessary to answer the question, therefore it is unwise to tell people to only learn the list in their book. Students should actively seek to expand their vocabulary in a language in order to obtain a high grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

yes their is.

it exists.

If you had read my post more clearly, you would see that I said there are lists of commonly-used and useful verbs in the back of most French books and that these are very important. However, the questions was about an obligatory list of verbs, a list you HAVE to know for the exam, which does not exist.

There is no way of knowing what you will be asked in your French exam and what verbs will be necessary to answer the question, therefore it is unwise to tell people to only learn the list in their book. Students should actively seek to expand their vocabulary in a language in order to obtain a high grade.

ENOUGH with the arguments!

There is no mandated "list" of French verbs which you can learn in the sure and certain knowledge that you will (a) need them all and (b) not need any others.

Most French textbooks will give lists of commonly used verbs, and especially the irregular ones ... it is certainly advisable to study these carefully.

Like any other language, you will find yourself using / needing many more verbs ... the more you know and can use, the better your French will be, as indeed with vocabulary apart from verbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

you should know the most commonly used ones
    the one's i use most are

Etre
    Aller
    Avoir
    Faire
    Parler
    Pouvoir
    Venir
    Penser
    Mettre

and so on

you should know the present, future, past, future proche( i wouldn't call it a tense of it's own) at this stage and in 5th/6th year you'll learn your conditional and the more advanced/complicated tenses
    also you should know reflexive verbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

magicianz wrote: »
    You dont really have to worry about much if you pay attention in class, write down the french and english of words you dont understand and learn them. Your teacher should go through all the tenses listed above in the next few years and everything will progress naturally in class :)

This is probably the best advice any of us have given!

There is most definitely a syllabus of the tenses required for the LC, but not for specific verbs. I forgot to mention, I have a red little Folens book of French verbs and verb tables, not very expensive, that basically has any verb you'd ever use or see in the Leaving Cert. I have a grind who has been making me learn 4 verbs in all the tenses every single week from the book religiously since the start of 6th year. When I finish the book, I go back to the start and do it all again. It only takes about 15 minutes a week and has definitely improved my grammar. If you get this book and can say take 2 verbs a week from the start of 5th year you'll be flying :)

Sure no compulsory list exists, but I think its safe to say some are.
    No but seriously, imagine going into the french exam and not knowing say the verb etre? Or avoir? or aller? IMO those are must know verbs, just saying like... its only common sense. We have been learning them since first year. Not knowing those verbs would make comprehensions hard.

I would say the list at the back of the book is their for a reason, seeing its an LC book made for LC students doing the LC exam. :) Have a look through those; some, if not all, will definately come up and your being able to recognise them, is vital.

And I agree about the vocabulary thing, but having vocab, and no grammer and simple sentence structure, is pointless...afterall, imagine writing a piece in french with no verbs? You cant exactly throw the vocab on the page and expect marks? So if I wear you, learn the verbs...their is a reason we do them so much in school! :D

Also, learn the preposition words...like de, des, du, un, en, au, aux that sorta stuff...they are what link the vocab and verbs together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

Are you doing Higher Level?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

il faut apprendre á beaucoup de verbes et mots, aussi on le trouvera beaucoup plus difficile pour votre bác, mais bon chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dannloads

hokeypokey wrote: »
    il faut apprendre á beaucoup de verbes et mots, aussi on le trouvera beaucoup plus difficile pour votre bác, mais bon chance!

First the á does NOT exist in French only â (press ALT+131 : c'est du gâteau! = it's easy!) and à (press ALT+133 : j'irais à Paris = I'll go to Paris), also not too sure what you mean in the second part...

Il faut apprendre á beaucoup de verbes et de mots (vocabulaire), aussi on le trouvera beaucoup plus difficile pour votre bác le bac, c'est ça la grande difficulté, mais bonne chance!

Hope this helps!
    Dannloads

Advertisement