Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to road bike.

• 16-05-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Having bought a hybrid with the bike to work scheme, I'm planning to get a road bike. Given budgetary constraints, I have narrowed down to 3 possibles:

- Specialized Allez Sport
    - Trek 1.2
    - Giant Defy 3

Any thoughts on which one and why? And which would be most upgradable?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

I was in the same position about 8 months ago, pretty much had it narrowed down to these 3 exact bikes. There's very little separating them in terms of specifications. I went for the Specialized Allez Sport and find it absolutely perfect for what I need - 3 to 4 25km cycles a week, building up to around 100km hopefully.

I think with these 3 you could pretty much go with the 1 you like the look of most and trying them out for fit etc. There's very few shops that stock all 3 brands. I know Tommy's Bikes in Dundalk have all 3. Maybe Wheelworx too, could be wrong.

But anyway, for what it's worth - I went for the Allez and find it great. Although, I've nothing to compare it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

Thanks Austin.
    At the moment I'm doing about 40km 2-3 times a week and up to 70k at the weekend. The hybrid is definitely a little limiting at the longer distances! Anyway, I'm planning to get up to a 100k in the next couple of weeks, hopefully on a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

They are all fairly similar have the Specialized Allez Sport myself. Looks well in the white with the bowed top tube. Have it nearly a year now have done races on it and did the an post tour of sligo on it last week. I like it and will be sad to see it go when I eventually move onto something Carbon.
    Karl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Milan,

I faced the very same dilemma just a couple of months ago. You'll be happy you picked up a road bike no matter which one of those models you choose. The only real difference that I know of between the 3 is that the Trek and the Specialized are fairly identical in equipment on the bike, whereas the Giant has a groupset slightly inferior to the other 2. The Trek and Spec both have Sora as the front derailleur, and the Tiagra as the back derailleur. The Tiagra sets are a step up from the Sora, though to any newcomer they're really all the one. The Giant has Sora on front and back derailleurs.

Thats really the only difference as far as I know and as I said that to any newbie (like myself) it doesn't really matter a whole lot. As far as I know, its pretty much the groupsets that determine the bulk cost of the bike especially in our price range. For what you're paying there, you should certainly get a bike with an aluminium frame and a carbon fork.

Anyway, I got the Trek 1.2 myself and have been more than happy with it. I also know people who got the Spec and the Giant and they're also delighted with their decisions. Get to a shop that stocks all 3 and try them out. I picked the Trek over the other 2 because I was more comfortable on it. Everyone's different, so get to the store and try all 3. Not sure where you are in the country but Tommy the Bike's shop in Dundalk has all 3 of them models and he's usually up to 70euro cheaper due to competition from the border towns in the north such as Newry. Wheelworx in Dublin definitely has 2 of the 3 models you listed (Trek and Giant) - not sure if they have the Spec.

Again, whatever you choose, make sure its right for you - very little seperates all 3 models you listed. You'll be happy whatever you decide.

Good luck with the cycling and stay in touch here, all the "gurus" are more than happy to help out the mere plebs like ourselves when it comes to even the simplest questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CarlosK wrote: »
    The Trek and Spec both have Sora as the front derailleur, and the Tiagra as the back derailleur. The Tiagra sets are a step up from the Sora, though to any newcomer they're really all the one. The Giant has Sora on front and back derailleurs.

I wouldn't worry too much about derailleurs. The most important component of the groupset is the shifters, because (a) they're the most expensive part (b) the ergonomics (and the number of gears supported) vary between models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looking at someones bike at work, the trek as a lot of room for mudguards under the calipers. The giants are a bit tight for clearance for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

could coming from a hybrid to road bike (carbon frame) be a good in?

Im currently clocking up alot of km's on the hybrid and looking at road bikes recently and wondered getting a carbon bike such as the planet x is the best way in.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    could coming from a hybrid to road bike (carbon frame) be a good in?

Im currently clocking up alot of km's on the hybrid and looking at road bikes recently and wondered getting a carbon bike such as the planet x is the best way in.

In to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about derailleurs. The most important component of the groupset is the shifters, because (a) they're the most expensive part (b) the ergonomics (and the number of gears supported) vary between models.

If this is the case, then I'm pretty sure all 3 models have Sora shifters. For me as a newbie, these have been no problem as I'd very rarely be in the drops trying to shift gears. Maybe the OP is in the same boat, but it's definitely something to consider if the OP is going to race and needs to shift gears in the "dropped" position.

Lumen wrote: »
    In to what?

i meant getting a carbon bike a good start for a first road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

I just got the trek 1.2 - coming from a trek mtb.
    It's my first road bike and fine it superb.

From advice from the bro - I got the wheels upgraded to Mavic (stronger) and it came in at 1keuro total from staggs in lucan.

did the m3 cycle the other day on it and it was a pleasure to ride on.
    Other bro has the specialized and he finds it great so any will do - just depends on yourself.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, certainly if you can afford it. The likes of the Planet X are a big step up from the entry-level aluminium bikes from the big brands and not for a lot more money.

But not as robust....

BostonB wrote: »
    But not as robust....
    Don't know why you would think that. Just as robust in my own experience and fatigue testing bears that out. Aluminium fatigues and falls apart after 5 years don't you know. /stereotype

thats good to hear as im budgeting for a planet x as my first road bike.

It depends on what you're going to use it for. "Road bike" covers a lot of ground.

will be covering lots of ground, up to 100k a week 2 short spins during the week and a long spin at the weekend.

Not in general riding I didn't mean that. I meant if it gets a knock vs ALU. Do you reckon the carbon with withstand the same knock an alu bike would? I dunno, I'm just curious.

will be covering lots of ground, up to 100k a week 2 short spins during the week and a long spin at the weekend.

Ah right, no commuting or utility cycling then. :)

Well there's nothing wrong with the Planet-X, but with current exchange rates pushing even the cheapest model to over €1200 it's not the screaming bargain it was a while back.

BostonB wrote: »
    Not in general riding I didn't mean that. I meant if it gets a knock vs ALU. Do you reckon the carbon with withstand the same knock an alu bike would? I dunno, I'm just curious.
    Having crashed frames in just about every frame material, yes, it probably would. Carbon is very strong stuff.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected. My bad.

nah wont commute to work would feel uneasy leaving my new expensive bike locked up while in the office. I have a hybrid to commuting any way.

Advertisement