Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to park for people living in town

Options
  • 16-05-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi, im looking to rent right in the centre of town.. Are there any places free to park for residents of town? Im finding it really hard to sort this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You can get a permit to park on-street from the City Council. I understand that it takes a few months to process and you must prove that you live there by producing utility bills in your name for that address.

On street parking if free everywhere after 6.30pm until 8.30am the following morning as well as all day Sunday.

What part of the city are you intending to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

ErnieBert wrote: »
    You can get a permit to park on-street from the City Council. I understand that it takes a few months to process and you must prove that you live there by producing utility bills in your name for that address.

On street parking if free everywhere after 6.30pm until 8.30am the following morning as well as all day Sunday.

What part of the city are you intending to live in?

Not sure if this is true but i thought the council were introducing free parking in the city in the mornings to encourage shopping?
    feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

^^^
    Couldn't be 100% sure but i'd very much doubt it.. They would not want to give up this income as they would be struggling with budgets as it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, the council did an experiment with free morning parking for shoppers. I believe this has now ended.

While you can get permits for some of the residential areas around town, I'm pretty sure that they exempt you from time time limits, not from fees. (Could be wrong ...)

For the very centre, there are no exemptions from daytime fees. Some apartments have parking included. Some car-parks are rented out on a monthly basis - not sure if Daft.ie has a section for this or not - or you could contact the major parking buildings to see if they do long-term leasing (I have a feeling that Hynes does).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

GALWAY CITY COUNCIL:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/ParkingPermits/ResidentsPermits/

Residents Permits

A Resident living in a Pay and Display Area may apply for a Residents Parking Permit.
    If a Resident changes address they should return the old permit to:
    Traffic Section,
    Galway City Council,
    City Hall,
    College Road,
    Galway
    Note: A ‘Resident’ refers to a person whose normal residence is a premises located on a street containing a Pay and Display Area.
    New Residents Permit
    A ‘Resident’ may be:
    Owner of a Property
    Renting a Property
    Living at a property which you neither own nor rent
    A €20 fee should be paid to the Council after your application has been approved.
    Download Application Form for Residents Parking Permit
    The Application Form must be completed in full along with the following documents:
    A copy of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate/Log Book of the vehicle in your name at the address mentioned.
    A copy of your Certificate of Motor Insurance in your name at the address mentioned.
    A current utility bill in your name at the address mentioned (E.S.B./Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    A copy of your driving licence.
    You must have the Statutory Declaration fully completed.
    If you are not the owner of the property you should also include the following:

Resident - Renting:
    A letter from your Landlord/Landlady stating that you are a resident at the address will suffice in this case.

Resident – Not Owner or Renting:
    A copy of a Bank Statement or Income Tax Certificate to prove that you live at the address mentioned.
    Application from should to be returned to:
    Traffic Section,
    Galway City Council,
    City Hall,
    College Road,
    Galway
    Annual Renewal of Permit
    The fee for renewing an annual residents permit is €20.
    If you are renewing your permit and your vehicle details and address have not changed then you will be required to submit:
    A completed Residents Renewal Declaration Form
    A current utility bill in your name at the address mentioned (E.S.B./Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    Residents Permit Renewal - Change of Vehicle
    The fee for renewing an annual residents permit is €20.
    If during the permit year you have changed your vehicle you should submit the Residents Permit Chan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

JustMary wrote: »
    Yes, the council did an experiment with free morning parking for shoppers. I believe this has now ended.

fair enough.... thanks mary

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

the places closest to the city centre for parking free would be forster court or college road and a couple of places on prospect hill. a few of the appartment buildings around town have parking in them just look it up on daft and the availability of parking should be listed. alot of the time one space comes free with the apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I can't offer any useful advice but I will say that some estates around town have the most stupid systems for parking in place. This can often leave actual residents in danger of being clamped for not parking in an actual space due to drivers with no connection to the estate dumping there cars on the way into town. If you happen to live in one of those estates and are not finished work at 5pm you might not have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a "legal" spot in your estate.

It's not rocket science for God sake...

Easily visible permits for residents to put inside their windscreen are the simplest solution IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I intend living near the back of boots, behind the market etc if you know what i mean...

But if processing time for a permit is 3 months, then there is no point at all trying, because it was a summer lease i wanted.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

you can always ring up the council and ask how long the lead times are these days...I remember it took a while for me, but that was because they only recently introduced the pay and display for my area at the time.

It's an annoying runaround though, to get a signed affidavit by a peace commisioner, change all your addresses etc to your new address etc. Not really worth it if you only want a short lease...

However, a permit exempts you from fees etc, so you can park any time you want within the strets covered by your permit - I think it's a tenner for the year, and you're sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Took less time for me. Can't remember but I went here, filled in forms and had to ring once to push things along.

* A copy of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate/Log Book of the vehicle in your name at the address mentioned.
    * A copy of your Certificate of Motor Insurance in your name at the address mentioned.
    * A current utility bill in your name at the address mentioned (E.S.B./Telephone Bill/Bank Statement only).
    * You must be on the Register of Electors for the address mentioned.
    * You must have the Statutory Declaration fully completed.

Think it took a week extra because the officer in charge was away.

Dire reading
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055113823
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055105357

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Cheers Biko.

Im only gonna be renting so wont have alot of those forms. But i assume a letter from the landlord will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably it would be best to just ring them and ask what they need, rules change and maybe they'll bend them a bit if you're lucky.
    Anyway, let us know how you got on in case someone else needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Nope it has to be a utility bill.
    I went in with my forms done and got the permit then and there as my address was already registered on system. Sweet!

Used to live in Forster Court - parking was nightmare there, one tight space and no visitor spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

you could try contacting one of the multi storey carparks for a long-term rate but it would still be expensive probably. I got this for less than 100 euro per month.

Advertisement