Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rifle ballistic iphone app

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

I have JBM Ballistic FTE myself.
    It is a fantastic app which is based on what is widely accepted as one of the most accurate ballistic calculator's. If you get the FTE version you will have use of the HUD which allows you to make live changes for LOS angle, wind speed/direction, distance and will also use your GPS location for local atmosphere and altitude settings.

Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

worth googlin too is Kinghts armament bullet flight....

they have different priced apps depending on how hardcore you are :P

http://www.knightarmco.com/bulletflight/index.htm

Knight's Armament BulletFlight is a military-grade ballistic computer that provides quick solutions in the field. BulletFlight does not output information in table format but rather dynamically gives you the solution you need now to make that shot. Current weather conditions including temperature, pressure, humidity, wind speed, and wind direction can be input, as well as angles to the target as measured by the built-in accelerometer. The app then provides highly detailed solutions out to 3000 meters. Your weapon profile includes your scope MOA/mRad per click, and hence when you provide a range to the target, the app will simply show how many clicks you need to change the scope by for that range and wind speed.

Up to five ballistic coefficients with corresponding velocity thresholds may be used for each profile to enhance accuracy, or use a single G1, G7, or G8 value.

Several built-in profiles for the Army's M110 semi-automatic precision rifle, the 14.5 inch SR16 rifle, The 50 BMG M107, .308 M40A3, .308 M24, and the 6.5mm KAC PDW allow you to get started quickly. You may alter these profiles, or add new ones.

This app is currently in combat use by military snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

SD308 wrote: »
    It is a fantastic app which is based on what is widely accepted as one of the most accurate ballistic calculator's. If you get the FTE version you will have use of the HUD which allows you to make live changes for LOS angle, wind speed/direction, distance and will also use your GPS location for local atmosphere and altitude settings.

Stephen.

Any for the Nokia?
    I'm not going to buy an iphone but I have a nokia expressmusic with a large touchpad screen.

Cheapest I can get an ipod is with vodafone bill €99 a month so feck that!

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ballistics/ballistics_charts.pdf

Any for the Nokia?
    I'm not going to buy an iphone but I have a nokia expressmusic with a large touchpad screen.

Ballistics Table in Yards 55 gr Moly. .255 B.C. www.hornady.com
    Range (yards) 50 100 200 300 400 500
    Velocity (fps) 3240 3043 2855 2501 2174 1873 1601
    Energy (ft.-lb.) 1282 1131 995 764 577 428 313
    Trajectory -1.5 0.4 1.4 0.0 -7.0 -21.3 -45.7
    Come Up in MOA -1.5 -0.8 -1.3 0.0 2.2 5.1 8.7

For 55grain Hornady moly .223 from a 24inch barrel.
    Now I will have to test the same on a 28" barrel and compare and contrast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Any for the Nokia?

I have the same phone and any searchin ive done were out of luck.... some blackberrys can support the apps though....

• Advertisement

I have the same phone and any searchin ive done were out of luck.... some blackberrys can support the apps though....

I'm majorly pee'ed off with Vodafone/IFA Telecom as I still have not received my 15% IFA Countryside even though I registered in October

Will some of the software Guru's on boards design a similar Java program for Nokia??

The idea has a major appeal as all Nokia phones can handle Java.

Very handy to be able to get your tables in an instant in the field.
    Especially for those with MOA Reticles on the scope.
    I know that if I use the second crosshair on my reticle it is 7 inches @300 from a 200yard zero which is bunny tappingly good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Ballistics Table in Yards 55 gr Moly. .255 B.C. www.hornady.com
    Range (yards) 50 100 200 300 400 500
    Velocity (fps) 3240 3043 2855 2501 2174 1873 1601
    Energy (ft.-lb.) 1282 1131 995 764 577 428 313
    Trajectory -1.5 0.4 1.4 0.0 -7.0 -21.3 -45.7
    Come Up in MOA -1.5 -0.8 -1.3 0.0 2.2 5.1 8.7
    I'm a bit suspicious of those ballistics tables on the Hornady website. Too many of the cartridges have exact same ballistics data even where they are different calibres.

Case in point is their data on the .22 swift and .22-250 (:D). Nobody else other than Hornady gives the swift and .22-250 the same ME.

Perhaps they manufacture them that way, but that would make no commercial sense. You have different calibres for a reason :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

For 55grain Hornady moly .223 from a 24inch barrel.
    Now I will have to test the same on a 28" barrel and compare and contrast

A longer barrel doesn't automatically give an increase in velocity you know. A longer barrel can actually reduce velocity with small calibres.
    I doubt the small power charge in a .223 would benefit from anything more than 24", even with a super hot handload - the case capacity just isn't there.

Kramer wrote: »
    A longer barrel doesn't automatically give an increase in velocity you know. A longer barrel can actually reduce velocity with small calibres.
    I doubt the small power charge in a .223 would benefit from anything more than 24", even with a super hot handload - the case capacity just isn't there.

Well, I am not talking about loading as it is not legal for the general public to do so yet, and as a member of the general public I adhere to all laws on my sport.
    Trueflite who make the barrels say a 28" is the way to go for me with the ammo I told them I use.
    So I am bowing to their experience here, I was told ~100ft/s for every inch until the max of 28" on .223
    If it's lies I'm tellin, it's lies I've been told

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

SD308 wrote: »

Stephen.

I have this too, highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

was looking into this as i got an iphone a few weeks ago and stumbled upon this old thread so i said i'd reserect it, what apps are ye using and how do ye find them, are they worth it, and for a cheap arse like me, is there any free ones or do you get what you pay for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Strelok Ballistic Calculator.

I have it on my android and I know some more do like tack.
    Great app to have and its FREE

Go to the app store and search for "iStrelok"
    This will get it for your iPhone.

dev110 wrote: »

T'is a mighty yoke.

You really need to chrono your rounds for it to be truely accurate though.

My next Purchase, a Chronograph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

This is a very good app for the iPhone and easy to set up and use. It will now take 3 different setup's for 3 different rounds or rifles.

Get it - its free and good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

T'is a mighty yoke.

You really need to chrono your rounds for it to be truely accurate though.

My next Purchase, a Chronograph!

I use and have the ProChrono. Its a good bit of kit and i also have the PC package for it, for displaying the data on your laptop.
    About €100

Advertisement