Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Export Bike from U.S.A

• 16-05-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm going to Boston next month and thinking of purchasing a CBR1000rr and exporting it back to ireland.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about this and what kind of fees/taxes are involved?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Friend of a friend brought over my bike from chicago for me, he brings a container over every month or two into dublin. 230 dollars it cost me anyway but that was because there was 17 other bikes on it.

Use the vrt calculator on revenue site. If bike has less than 6000miles (i think) its classed as new, so would get according vrt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think you'll have to pay vat seperately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

kerryman10 wrote: »
    I'm going to Boston next month and thinking of purchasing a CBR1000rr and exporting it back to ireland.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about this and what kind of fees/taxes are involved?

Thanks

You'll have to pay VAT at 21% and also VRT - you can get the VRT amount on the revenue website (classed by CC's and year of bike)

Hate to bring a downer but it could end up costing ya a packet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

is the power output different on american models compared to euro spec machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Jonty wrote: »
    is the power output different on american models compared to euro spec machines

dont think so, but in some states they have stricter evironment laws eg. california so they have special emmison control systems or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

May not be relevant but if they ever get round to introducing a NCT test for bikes would a US import fail for not having E marked parts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Big J wrote: »
    May not be relevant but if they ever get round to introducing a NCT test for bikes would a US import fail for not having E marked parts?

Yes it would, but NCT for bikes isn't going to happen.

Mind you, the headlight that dips the wrong way is very, very annoying, dangerous even, so budget on changing that here when you get it here, buy a s/hand light.

You'll get caught for VRT, VAT and Customs (because you're importing from outside the EU)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes it would, but NCT for bikes isn't going to happen.

Mind you, the headlight that dips the wrong way is very, very annoying, dangerous even, so budget on changing that here when you get it here, buy a s/hand light.

You'll get caught for VRT, VAT and Customs (because you're importing from outside the EU)

I thought vrt was the customs charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

best advice is to give customs a call.. ask them what the total cost of all tax's would be.
    at least then, you will know what you're dealing with money wise.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/south-west-region.html

I thought vrt was the customs charge?

Nope. VRT is Vehicle Registration Tax. It's a price they charge to register the vehicle (any vehicle).

Customs is an importation tax, and applies to any product imported from outside the EU into the EU.

Your VRT on the bike will be about 1200
    Imports from outside EU attract iirc 10% Customs (but do check with VRO).
    VAT at 21% will be added to the whole lot, based on : invoice price+shipping costs+clearance fees+Customs.

All iirc, you understand.........

It all adds up.

With the dollar the way it is, it might not be worth it. Handiest thing is to ring VRO, give them specifics (and have your shipping/clearance costs to hand). The try locally and N.I. for a deal on the same bike.

I'd be interested to see how it works out myself, actually.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye, the +VAT on the whole caboodle is the real stinker...

Wossack wrote: »
    aye, the +VAT on the whole caboodle is the real stinker...

Indeed - tax on a tax is always going to hurt. A tax on two taxes, well........

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement