Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Book 2010

• 16-05-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Just reminder for people who were complaining and sometimes even criticising the book project last year, regarding to the printing over the ocean, shipping, quality or anything else.

Feel free to begin your research so you will have something to say and offer in few months time when the work on the new book begins again.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Count me in, count me in, count me in!!! I was only thinking about this the other day. I don't know what I'll contribute photo wise and certainly as regards to the organisation and quality of last years who could complain, it was done brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

A book thread with no poll :eek:

I think unless we're envisaging a radically different (ie higher) volume this year, the print on demand model has worked well. I'm interested to see if anyone can come up with a workable alternative though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I didn't get a copy but from a design aspect it looked fantastic. Can you still order one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Chorcai wrote: »
    I didn't get a copy but from a design aspect it looked fantastic. Can you still order one ?

Just click on the banner in my signature ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Chorcai wrote: »

Shouldn't be a problem
    http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/909547

I can't recall that I complained so I'll wait and see:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

1000+ pms over that book last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

How does one get an image included in this yearbook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

How does one get an image included in this yearbook?

When the time comes round you simply say I commit to entering a shot & commit to buying at least one copy of the book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ok, sounds cool. I'd definitely buy it if one of my shots is in there :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have been talking to a member in DCC who is head of the Printing & Packaging Forum in Ireland. He assures me he can arrange good prices & quality from local printers.

ThePrint Packaging Forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I've been looking into things too. Can someone tell me - how many copies did we shift both years? And how many pages were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'd def be interested in this. I'll have to sort out shipping to Canada though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

woohoo defo in for this again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

woohoo defo in for this again :D

Its always nice to see your images in print :)

Anything happening in relation to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Was wondering about this myself recently. There hasn't been a flurry of activity has there?

One of the things to put to bed and it is best to do it at an early stage is the question of production - Blurb or do we try Shakespeare books as was suggested.

In order to assess that, what are the essential criteria that we need to work out / clarify with Shakespeare books (focussing on them as we are familiar with the Blurb setup)

For starters here an off the top of my head list;

1) Cost - Production / Postal
    2) Quality (I understand there are really good in this regard)
    3) Hosting it as a product to be ordered individually
    4) Provision for a bulk order facility
    5) Bulk order discount
    6) Software to produce the publication
    7) Availability in perpetuity for subsequent order
    8) Delivery times from order to production to delivery

Please add suggestions of other criteria that we should talk to them about and maybe we can take it from there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

sprinkles wrote: »
    I'll have to sort out shipping to Canada though :)

Brown envelope with your name and address on the front plus the appropriate postage - it's a doddle! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I must submit something to this this year, between wedding prep and honeymoon I just didn't have time last year before the submissions were finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I wasn't around here last year, so it wasn't me complaining ;)

Could somebody tell me when the photo needs to be submitted so that I can see if I can take part? As for who prints etc. While it would be nice to see the business stay in Ireland, I'm happy to go with whatever is decide by the more knowledgable folks here, oh and I won't complain either :D

Ill submit again this year and agreed it would be nice to keep the business in ireland.

• Advertisement

Any other points before I make contact with shakespeare? (i know that just sounds daft :))
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Was wondering about this myself recently. There hasn't been a flurry of activity has there?

One of the things to put to bed and it is best to do it at an early stage is the question of production - Blurb or do we try Shakespeare books as was suggested.

In order to assess that, what are the essential criteria that we need to work out / clarify with Shakespeare books (focussing on them as we are familiar with the Blurb setup)

For starters here an off the top of my head list;

1) Cost - Production / Postal
    2) Quality (I understand there are really good in this regard)
    3) Hosting it as a product to be ordered individually
    4) Provision for a bulk order facility
    5) Bulk order discount
    6) Software to produce the publication
    7) Availability in perpetuity for subsequent order
    8) Delivery times from order to production to delivery

Please add suggestions of other criteria that we should talk to them about and maybe we can take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I really dont get the whole keep the business in Ireland thing - Keep the business wherever deserves it (best quality, good price, etc). No point ending up with something crap because it's Irish...

"Jesus, that book looks like crap this year, what the hell happened?"
    "Ah, well....atleast it's Irish"

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i'm perfectly ok with the printing staying local if that's the vibe, but i'd be on for a bigger book for less money.

....or rather if it's going to be the same SIZE as last year i think price was a bit prohibitive. OR you could up the amount of pages and charge the same.... i got a LOT of comments from people i showed it to about the price....even though it was for charidee. :(

Also, i love to see an exact breakdown of how the money is allocated - ie - what amount/percentage of each sale goes to SSF on whatever site/blog will be used as the main ordering/publicity site [assuming that it's SSF who's going to benefit again this year]

although there's another point - i know SSF is a very well derserving cause and all but what are people's feelings about mixing it up a little and maybe picking a different [national] charity? feel free to shout me down, now - it's just a thought. i know it's a boards adopted charity so to speak but there's organisations who need money in all parts of the country - we might sell more if it's for a national charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think the point of having this continually going to SSF is that it's NOT a national charity, and thus doesn't get the recognition or coverage that most others do... therefore it's means of income are minimal compared to a national one.

I'd say SSF gets 95%+ of its donations from boards, with the rest being from friends of boardsies or the like... and I certainly wouldn't agree with saying that SSF is less deserving than any other charity just because it's not on a national level.

It just makes sense to have SSF as the charity.

Also, It's intended as being a photobook made by and for the forum, if I'm not mistaken... I don't really think it's ever going to try outsell harry potter or anything :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

... and I certainly wouldn't agree with saying that SSF is less deserving than any other charity just because it's not on a national level.

It just makes sense to have SSF as the charity.

Also, It's intended as being a photobook made by and for the forum, if I'm not mistaken... I don't really think it's ever going to try outsell harry potter or anything :P

i don't think i actually said SSF was a less deserving charity...:confused:

and... erm.... no.... i have no delusions of outselling harry potter....:rolleyes:

i suppose my main point was that i personally didn't know/couldn't tell peeps when they asked me - how much of the sale of a book went to SSF... which made it harder to sell it to people, that's all. maybe i just missed that detail somewhere in the gazillions of posts and threads i was trying to follow. i probably did, so if someone could tell me, that'd be great.

i do take your point though that if they get so little money they should get as much as they can.

consider me shouted down, i just thought the point needed airing. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The printing quality of Shakespeare, which I have seen, is noticably superior to that which we get from Blurb. Steve (stcstc) also looked at the quality & said it was a vast improvement. What they don't offer is an online shop front, like they do at Blurb.

There is also the option of doing a limited print run with a Printer. This has been looked into in the past but did not yield results. Earlier this year I was talking to a member of DCC who represents the Irish Printing & Packaging Industry. He was very confident that he would be able to locate us a company that would produce a book of the quality we require at a fraction of the cost of the Blurb book. If the sale price was brought down to around the E20 mark there would be a lot more books sold. The downside is that this would probably require up front payment to get the print run. Thonda & SineadW have the contact details required.

Excellent news CabanSail. That's significantly cheaper than Blurb so I don't think people woul have a problem paying up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Thats great.

For E20 I think that we could pay up front without anyone having to re-mortgage. Sounds good getting numbers up front to know the numbers for the print run.

Count me in for the money up front option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I would like to contribute if possible

• Advertisement

sounds good to me :D

Right so, i've dropped them a line with the details thus far so when they respond I will revert back here,

Thanks.

Ok, so here's the detail which Shakespeare has come back with;

Shakespeare Book Proposal

Option (1)
    A4 HARD cover with image(case bound, perfect bound, endpapers) -
    Single Books - €42.35 (incl €4.95 shipping)
    50-150 Books - €30.34 (incl €2.00 shipping)

(A4 = 210 MM wide and 297 MM tall (about 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 inch)

Option (2)
    8x6" SOFTCOVER with KEYHOLE -
    Single Books - €29.72 incl €3 shipping
    50-150 Books - €24.10 incl €2 shipping

€5 charitible donation included in prices

Shakespeare Notes:

Quality: Digitally printed on 170g gloss paper. See attached regarding print quality.
    Hosting it as a product to be ordered individually: individual to phone/email me with order and card details to pay.
    Provision for a bulk order facility: yes
    Bulk order discounts if they apply: see above price
    Software to produce the publication: take from website
    Availability in perpetuity for subsequent order: store for say one year
    Delivery times from order to production to delivery on the doorstep: to be confirmed

To compare to what we had available to us from last year;

Blurb Book 2009 -

Standard Landscape - 10×8 inches

Softcover EUR €28,95 + €6 = €34.95
    Hardcover, Dust Jacket EUR €39,95 + €6 shipping = €45,95
    Hardcover, ImageWrap EUR €41,95 + €6 shipping = €47,95

€5 charitible donation included in price

* Note on shipping - I can't currently access it on the blurb site. The €6 indicated is what I was personally charged on my 2009 hardcover imagewrap book.

Blurb have had a discount, if memory serves me correctly of 10% on bulk orders.

Possible purchase scenario

So a scenario based on the most common purchase assuming the best on offer deal is purchased;

Shakespeare A4 50-150 Books - €30.34 (incl €2.00 shipping)
    vs
    Blurb Bulk Order - 10x8 Hardcover, ImageWrap EUR €41,95 + €6 shipping = €47,95 less 10% = €43.16

The Shakespeare option here is for the larger size of book.

For this to work, we need to strip it down to a single option and do bulk ordering, but we have time to get this organised.

The Shakespeare option will be at lower cost than the most basic option from Blurb.

The above is only a scenario to get the thought process moving and discussion going.

Thoughts?

If we change to shakespeare we break with the idea of x amounts of same looking books in different colours (for the cover) from last year. An idea I liked.

But then again: Quite some people will probably be new this year and won't have/get the previous years. Or people that were part of the last years won't be in again this year.

But despite the point of going local I'd say the lower price definitely is a big pro for shakespeare as I was told by some people: I would buy but it's too expensive.

And as far as I know the quality will be good there as well. So I wouldn't mind changing to shakespeare.

my 2cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Id love to take part this year in this :) sounds great and the Shakespeare option seems like the logical one if its cheaper, better quality, bigger and supporting an Irish business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Id love to take part this year in this :) sounds great and the Shakespeare option seems like the logical one if its cheaper, better quality, bigger and supporting an Irish business.

Agreed. Count me in, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, I'd love to take part in this this year... :)

Can I ask though- and maybe I just missed this- what charity is SSF? I've looked it up and I've found the Shakespeare School Festival in England, is that it?

zoegh wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd love to take part in this this year... :)

Can I ask though- and maybe I just missed this- what charity is SSF? I've looked it up and I've found the Shakespeare School Festival in England, is that it?

Santa Strike Force - it was setup by DeVore as far as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd recommend Shakespeare, quality is much better as is service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

Count me in again. They made great Xmas pressies for the relatives abroad! hahaha.

:D

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I'm in :D

Set a date for order and lets get searching through pics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just reading about that strike force- it's so cool!

I'm definitely in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EmilyCoco

trishw78 wrote: »
    When the time comes round you simply say I commit to entering a shot & commit to buying at least one copy of the book

You can count me in too!

Ok, so I'm taking it at this stage that Shakespeare are looking good in A4 format - bulk order as per the details of this post?

(disclaimer - i've nothing to do with the company, so i'm only motivated by getting a better deal with similar or better quality as blurb)
    Ok, so here's the detail which Shakespeare has come back with;

Shakespeare Book Proposal

Option (1)
    A4 HARD cover with image(case bound, perfect bound, endpapers) -
    Single Books - €42.35 (incl €4.95 shipping)
    50-150 Books - €30.34 (incl €2.00 shipping)

(A4 = 210 MM wide and 297 MM tall (about 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 inch)

Option (2)
    8x6" SOFTCOVER with KEYHOLE -
    Single Books - €29.72 incl €3 shipping
    50-150 Books - €24.10 incl €2 shipping

€5 charitible donation included in prices

Shakespeare Notes:

Quality: Digitally printed on 170g gloss paper. See attached regarding print quality.
    Hosting it as a product to be ordered individually: individual to phone/email me with order and card details to pay.
    Provision for a bulk order facility: yes
    Bulk order discounts if they apply: see above price
    Software to produce the publication: take from website
    Availability in perpetuity for subsequent order: store for say one year
    Delivery times from order to production to delivery on the doorstep: to be confirmed

To compare to what we had available to us from last year;

Blurb Book 2009 -

Standard Landscape - 10×8 inches

Softcover EUR €28,95 + €6 = €34.95
    Hardcover, Dust Jacket EUR €39,95 + €6 shipping = €45,95
    Hardcover, ImageWrap EUR €41,95 + €6 shipping = €47,95

€5 charitible donation included in price

* Note on shipping - I can't currently access it on the blurb site. The €6 indicated is what I was personally charged on my 2009 hardcover imagewrap book.

Blurb have had a discount, if memory serves me correctly of 10% on bulk orders.

Possible purchase scenario

So a scenario based on the most common purchase assuming the best on offer deal is purchased;

Shakespeare A4 50-150 Books - €30.34 (incl €2.00 shipping)
    vs
    Blurb Bulk Order - 10x8 Hardcover, ImageWrap EUR €41,95 + €6 shipping = €47,95 less 10% = €43.16

The Shakespeare option here is for the larger size of book.

For this to work, we need to strip it down to a single option and do bulk ordering, but we have time to get this organised.

The Shakespeare option will be at lower cost than the most basic option from Blurb.

The above is only a scenario to get the thought process moving and discussion going.

Thoughts?

For, the bulk order - would it be reasonable for people when they sign up for partaking in the book to do their order at the same point in time i.e. pay before the event to secure their place rather than after. I'm thinking it may be better in terms of ordering 80 or 100 copies and securing the best price to have it done this way. Same difference in terms of cost but better that you wouldn't be waiting after the event to get all the money in before placing the bulk order.

(ps - hope that last bit made sense) :)

For, the bulk order - would it be reasonable for people when they sign up for partaking in the book to do their order at the same point in time i.e. pay before the event to secure their place rather than after. I'm thinking it may be better in terms of ordering 80 or 100 copies and securing the best price to have it done this way. Same difference in terms of cost but better that you wouldn't be waiting after the event to get all the money in before placing the bulk order.

(ps - hope that last bit made sense) :)

Makes more or less sense to me;) In my words: Pay for the book(s) when we agree to take part as opposed to pay when we make the order (after the book is finished) for the bulk order itself?
    If that's what you mean it would have the advantage, that people that agree in the first place will be in the book with a picture for sure (because they paid already so won't pull out) and we have more definite numbers.

It just might be difficult for logistics afterwards for those who are not Dublin and surroundings based. But then again Ireland is not that big and there are always people travelling around.

So it might work (says me at this time of night:o)

and count me in for this un too plz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

squeeze me in aswell please

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

xia wrote: »
    Makes more or less sense to me;) In my words: Pay for the book(s) when we agree to take part as opposed to pay when we make the order (after the book is finished) for the bulk order itself?

Send in the money and your image at the same time - then there's no chasing people. Money and pic at the same time.

I'm in again anyway whatever way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

Sounds Brilliant! - count me in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Sounds great, I'm def in. AnCatDubh I assume you will be collecting the money - paypal or something similar?

I am in whichever way we decide. First saw Shakespere at Photovision last year & thought their quality was better than Blurb. The fact that they are local & that Vincent seems a nice guy to deal with are also bonuses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement