Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Book 2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Just one point of clarification Vincent, from Shakespeare, (who's watching the thread from afar) pointed out that the measurements indicated earlier are for landscape orientation rather than portrait as I had indicated. So the book format is landscape.
    sprinkles wrote: »
    Sounds great, I'm def in. AnCatDubh I assume you will be collecting the money - paypal or something similar?

Well, next thing to do will be get a project manager, designer, and marketing/logistics person appointed so volunteers - please PM me or the other moderators and we'll start to get this thing underway in earnest. One of their roles will be to establish how to get the payments organised, and avoid any pay pal nonsense that was experienced previously.

So shout people, shout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the support.

Just one point of clarification Vincent, from Shakespeare, (who's watching the thread from afar) pointed out that the measurements indicated earlier are for landscape orientation rather than portrait as I had indicated. So the book format is landscape.

Well, next thing to do will be get a project manager, designer, and marketing/logistics person appointed so volunteers - please PM me or the other moderators and we'll start to get this thing underway in earnest. One of their roles will be to establish how to get the payments organised, and avoid any pay pal nonsense that was experienced previously.

So shout people, shout!

Will putting an image in this year, IMHO, people should pay up before the end of Oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Great idea! The book from last year looks very well. I'm a newcomer to the Photographer area here but would love to commit to the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

the fact that it'll be cheaper is a good thing - count me in again.

can it be bigger than last year's - ie - more pages and therefore better value/better revenue generator?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Send in the money and your image at the same time - then there's no chasing people. Money and pic at the same time.

I'm in again anyway whatever way it goes.

cant do that tbh, i was dealing with this last year, few pics might be unsuitable, refunding and the like wouldnt be fun

Ok, back with the begging bowl and looking for help here - We've the designer role covered (bohsfan, thanks and we'll be back to you as soon as the other roles get filled)..., but..... we're short of a Project Manager and Logistics and Marketing person.

Volunteers please?

The unfortunate consequence if we don't get people for these roles is that it actually won't go ahead, which would be a bummer imho. That said, I appreciate people will be busy and under pressure so no need to drop eyes or hide in a corner of the forum if you can't offer help (believe me, I appreciate how busy everyone is lately).

But, if you do have a little time on your hands, then please pipe up. Should we get more than one person for each role (at this stage we'd be happy with just one :)) , then we'll have some sort of selection process to arrive at a working team.

Drop a PM to me or any of the moderators expressing your interest.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

ACD - I think I could volunteer but I have not a clue what the jobs entail as I wasn't involved in any of the previous years... Maybe just a few short words/descriptions to have some sort of a notion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Just saw this thread now. Please put me down for having a pic in, sorry can't find time to volunteer for anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Am in also. Although I don't think I will have any time available help with any of the logistics. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'll help out if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Count me in for a pic as well if ye don't mind. I'm afraid I can't volunteer this time round due to a lack of spare time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Count me in guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

I don't really have a photo I want to contribute to this just yet, but it might be an appropriate time to suggest that we reserve a couple of pages for two members we lost since the last book was finalised - muineach and valentia. I think it would be a fitting tribute to include some of their images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I could certainly volunteer lots of time but I have no idea at what exactly!

The jist of role descriptions:

Project Manager (1 person)

This individual takes responsibility for the organisation of the book. They seek participants, set deadlines, keep the community informed, adjudicate ultimately on any matters that might arise/communicate such matters to the forum community, and keep the project on the boil. No pressure but the project will succeed or fail on the basis of your interaction (gulp!). Time is important here and if you are going to be away from the keyboard for weeks on end then it probably isn't the role for you.

Logistics and Marketing - (preferably 2 people)

Ideally this burden would be spread a little more. These individuals will be responsible for the bringing together of the images, communicating as necessary with the community or individuals, organising a book launch (venue, keynote speaker, wine, participants, etc.), Organising the money side of things - this year as the swell of support was for Shakespeare books, it means having the funds secured and lodged with the company in order for the production process to begin (or whatever else might be appropriate - it will be up to these people in conjunction with the project manager to decide). If using paypal to advance clear our intentions such that they don't freeze the account as soon as significant orders hit it (as did happen previously causing understandable consternation). To get the logistics of getting the books to people who have paid - a group collection and then the additional ones which are part of the group buy but not collected at the launch. Organisation systems as appropriate to know who has received and who is due books. In terms of further marketing, to essentially promote it in as many ways as possible = getting blogs written, boards site announcements, a radio interview or two, martin king to give it a mention, press release and other media interactions, get onto the 4 live or today shows, throw it at tubridy and see if it sticks, and broadly tout it everywhere and anywhere - online and real world.

That's the gist of it.

The project manager, designer, and marketing/logistics all work together as a team - lots of communication between team members. The moderators (and your humble cmod) will facilitate anything on forum that is needed that can't be done by a normal user posting - and as with previous productions be available should support be required in anything. We'll also cajole a little if we think cajoling is needed - just sayin loike!

So, step right up - if those roles grab you (particularly anyone who suggested they may have the time) drop myself or the other moderators a pm about it, and your name will be in the hat (well we mightn't actually need a hat but it does sound nice to think we'd have lots applying for it :))

Obviously it is a serious project and demands a serious approach to it.

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement

Project Manager for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'd love to be involved in the book this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I'll try to bite the bullet to be involved a bit this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If we want to use the Gallery at DCC again this year for the Book Launch then about now is the time to apply. You just need permission in principle at this stage with a date to be set later. We have a few people involved here who are members of DCC who can make a request and get the keys when required. Council meets on the first Thursday of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

hmboards wrote: »
    I don't really have a photo I want to contribute to this just yet, but it might be an appropriate time to suggest that we reserve a couple of pages for two members we lost since the last book was finalised - muineach and valentia. I think it would be a fitting tribute to include some of their images.

WTF? havent checked into photography in a long time - so tell me Danny just left boards and its not what it sounds like...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I'm afraid so. Danny died in april this year. It was a great loss and a lot of people are still grieving.

This is the thread about Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

CabanSail wrote: »
    I'm afraid so. Danny died in april this year. It was a great loss and a lot of people are still grieving.

This is the thread about Danny

Thanks CabainSail, had found it after a search - shocked was not the word...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

was involved heavily in this last year. its no easy task

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Count me in this year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I'm in for a picture again this year, but have no idea how much time I can invest other than hopefully being more online here over the next months.

Oh. And as for launch party at DCC: I asked BethAnne (President) weeks ago and she was fine with it. But we probably should ask again more officially. Plan to go this Tuesday so should remember to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'd be interested in submitting a photo too it too :)

xia wrote: »
    Oh. And as for launch party at DCC: I asked BethAnne (President) weeks ago and she was fine with it. But we probably should ask again more officially. Plan to go this Tuesday so should remember to ask.

It won't be a problem but still needs to be raised at Council. We have a good track record with DCC as we have always looked after the place when we've used it in the past.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DCC and us have had a nice realtionship in the past which would be nice to continue.

On my list of things to do this week was to think about sff projects like this, I'm so so so grateful you guys and gals are all over this already. Thank you!

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ps, yep I'm in with a pic too, I have several I'm very happy with this year!

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    DCC and us have had a nice realtionship in the past which would be nice to continue.

It has become quite good over the last little while to the benefit of both DCC & Boards. I like win/win situations. :D

DeVore wrote: »
    On my list of things to do this week was to think about sff projects like this

Is SFF an off shoot of SSF for Dyslexics? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Edser

I'm in for a pic.

Ed

What I'll do is sometime during the week I'll go through a list of people who submitted their name to enter a pic and draw up numbers. We can work from there and I'll draw up some guidelines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I'm in for a pic.

Now to start a discussion....

What sort of Name/Handle/Web site information will we want/be allowed beside the picture?

ooh, not sure if i've already thrown my hat in but in case i haven't, i'm definitely up for submitting a pic again this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm in again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

oh - count me in for a pic as well.

Starting to take shape over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ooh ooh ooh - I'm in!

• Advertisement

From now on can ye stick yer name in the Photo Book thread in the Exhibition thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

When is the deadline to stick a picture in?
    I didn't feel ready last year but this year I'm a year older and I can also handle 3 shreddies.

It's all on the thread. Name needed first to commit to submitting a photo and then deadline set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

kensutz wrote: »
    It's all on the thread. Name needed first to commit to submitting a photo and then deadline set.
    jeez gimmie a link, there's over 420 pages. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

jeez gimmie a link, there's over 420 pages. :(

AR, I moved that last post of you over the thread with all the names to make sure nobody is forgotten about!

If anyone else wished to contribute, do leave a note as per the link above!

As expected we should be fine having the launch party in DCC premises. But they need to know the day as early as possible.

I said it would be in December but later learned from Buzz, Sinead, Sinister it's more likely to be November :eek: - not much time left ;)

• Advertisement

would after the 14th of Nov be too late?

Don't think so. We're going to push for the book to be ready by end of October/early November.

kew-ell. i vote for having it after the 14th, so. :D

Advertisement