Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Burnin' Burren

• 16-05-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey,
    Looking for some advice on the 160 km Burin' Burren next month. How tough is it in comparison to the other 160 km routes of the an post series?? I did the 160 in Sligo and managed to finish without too much training, but did struggle on the climbs. Also I did the 60 km last year in the burren and found the corkscrew managable! I guess what i need to know is how much training i should be doing for this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If you managed the Sligo 160 without too much bother you'll be fine.

There's three main climbs: Corker hill (short kick in the pants), Corkscrew hill (piece of piss - not half it's made out to be and nothing like what you went up as part of the Ox mountains) and the climb up to the Cliffs of Moher (longish drag).

Now that's not to say the rest is flat - for a 'flat' county there's a lot of undulating road which over kms can take a bit out of the legs and you might not see it as it's doing so.

Of the An Post rides it's a very close tie between the Tour de Burren and the Tour of Waterford for best organisation. Both are prime examples of gold standard sportives. Best advice before the event - get out, on the bike, get some 100km rides (or longer if you've time) in the legs and get your registration in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

CheGuedara wrote: »
    If you managed the Sligo 160 without too much bother you'll be fine.

There's three main climbs: Corker hill (short kick in the pants), Corkscrew hill (piece of piss - not half it's made out to be and nothing like what you went up as part of the Ox mountains) and the climb up to the Cliffs of Moher (longish drag).

Now that's not to say the rest is flat - for a 'flat' county there's a lot of undulating road which over kms can take a bit out of the legs and you might not see it as it's doing so.

Of the An Post rides it's a very close tie between the Tour de Burren and the Tour of Waterford for best organisation. Both are prime examples of gold standard sportives. Best advice before the event - get out, on the bike, get some 100km rides (or longer if you've time) in the legs and get your registration in!
    +1 go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Great day out this one was unfortunatly the only one of the an post series i could do last year but was well worth the trip over.
    Tough enough but with proper training as was said earlier 100 + km spins under your belt you will be fine super last 20 or so kms to finish back in ballyvaughan.

The only concern would be if the weather was bad we had a great weather last year so added to the enjoyment

go for it and enjoy :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Great sportif, there are no major bumps, get into a group as the wind may wreck you, I had to be dragged home by a group from Cork last year. Great scenery, organisation, locals and cake.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Did the corker on sunday morning, its not that bad really only about 600mts long. Have done the Corkscrew a few times, they are all manageable but there are a few other leg breakers there also.
    Did the 60 last year and was flying it till the last 10k when I got 4 punctures, I nearly cried, No seriously I f*****g nearly cried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Can you register for this on the day or is the cut off (June 11) enforced ?

I am not 100% sure i can make it, but i am planning to at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

damoz wrote: »

I registered on the day last year Id say it will be the same this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

damoz wrote: »

A lot of those cut off dates are a week before the event to allow them sufficient time to send out what ever stuff you are getting.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement