Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build crashing during boot - SSD related?

Options

Comments

Have you tried hitting F8 on bootup and disabling automatic restart to see what the error code is? There shouldn't be any messing to get Windows 7 working on a solid state drive, I've installed it on two without any problems.
    I've tried loading Windows Safe Mode but it just starts listing the drivers that are being loaded and then the crash happens when it gets to loading disk.sys.
    That file just happens to be the last one that loads before the kernel starts, it doesn't really tell you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

With the 500gig drive not being installed properly on instalation, it could have been coming on/off constantly during instalation and maybe cause a problem? Have you treid reinstalling it to see does it fix the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

snip

The 1TB and 500GB are powered from the sames cable (i.e. two SATA connectors on the same cable), and the SSD and blu-ray drive are powered from another cable.

snip

WTF that is a new one to me, can you take a photo please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

WTF that is a new one to me, can you take a photo please?

Probably describing it wrong: was just pointing out that the two SATA hard-drives are fed power off the same power cable (i.e. a SATA power cable coming from the PSU that has 3 SATA connectors on it). Was only mentioning it in case it was relevant if it had an impact on which drives were in which IDE channel and which were masters and slaves etc. cos I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Good to know that disk.sys is the last driver to be loaded so doesn't necessarily mean it's a disk issue. Wasn't familiar with how to disable automatic restart so I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No master or slaves in SATA, each has their own channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I detached the HDDs and also the iMon VFD display internal USB connection and then reinstalled Windows and all went swimmingly. Almost through executing the instructions here on setting up an SSD drive and it seems to be running very well.

Advertisement