Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Driver

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you should read this post it should clear up any confusion for you.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1227696&postcount=1
    Conflicts of interest [READ]
    Given the recent rows, I have concerns that some users of this board are abusing it to unfairly promote their own business or other interests.

Consequently, I would like all users, whether involved in the transport industry or not to declare their conflicts of interest.

This means if you work for or have a material interest in or membership of:

* a transport service provider,
    * a transport infrastructure provider,
    * a council organisation involved in transport,
    * a state, semi-state or QUANGO organisation involved in transport,
    * a transport equipment (including vehicle sales) supplier,
    * a construction organisation involved in transport,
    * a road fitting supplier,
    * a transport consultant,
    * a public relations consultant,
    * a politician or political organisation (formal or informal),
    * a trade union, professional organisation or employer’s organisation or consultancy representing any of the above,
    * a campaigning or lobbying organisation and
    * any person or organisation unduly affected by the work of any of the above

that you should declare so here and/or at any point where you reach a conflict of interest.
    i really dont see how you wouldn't declare your interest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You should read this post it should clear up any confusion for you.
    Given the recent rows, I have concerns that some users of this board are abusing it to unfairly promote their own business or other interests.

Yup Foggy_Lad,have indeed read it but as I said I`m not promoting my own business or anything like it...
    Consequently, I would like all users, whether involved in the transport industry or not to declare their conflicts of interest.

I would of course declare any such conflict,if it existed,but thus far I seem to have been accepted as a poster of good faith by the greater Boards.ie community.

At no point have I used the Board to conceal or misrepresent myself as anything other than a Busdriver as it is my area of experience.

Whether I choose to agree or disagree with another poster`s view is surely what the ethos of a discussion board is all about ?

Once these discussions take place in a calm,respectful manner then I can see no great problem, surely ?

Making a semi-official statement to the effect that I am a Busdriver ( :eek: )when my C & T posts make that fact largely obvious is largely irrelevant.......

Now,if I was actually Dr John Lynch , JJ Kavanagh,or Noel Dempsey posting as a stalking horse then there is a clear Conflict of Interest,but as long as I remain merely a hewer of wood and drawer of water I`ll continue as I am...Unless Banned of course :D

PS:::: Just occurred to me that this thread has declared as much interest as would choke a horse anyway ! Jobs OxO :P

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I read this board semi-regularly and I have been under no illusions for quite some time as to what AlekSmart does for a living.

I've seen your name pop up quite a bit Foggy-lad so I'd be surprised if you didn't know yourself.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Yup Foggy_Lad,have indeed read it but as I said I`m not promoting my own business or anything like it...

I would of course declare any such conflict,if it existed,but thus far I seem to have been accepted as a poster of good faith by the greater Boards.ie community.

At no point have I used the Board to conceal or misrepresent myself as anything other than a Busdriver as it is my area of experience.

Whether I choose to agree or disagree with another poster`s view is surely what the ethos of a discussion board is all about ?

Once these discussions take place in a calm,respectful manner then I can see no great problem, surely ?

Making a semi-official statement to the effect that I am a Busdriver ( :eek: )when my C & T posts make that fact largely obvious is largely irrelevant.......

Now,if I was actually Dr John Lynch , JJ Kavanagh,or Noel Dempsey posting as a stalking horse then there is a clear Conflict of Interest,but as long as I remain merely a hewer of wood and drawer of water I`ll continue as I am...Unless Banned of course :D

PS:::: Just occurred to me that this thread has declared as much interest as would choke a horse anyway ! Jobs OxO :P
    go down a bit further in that post and you seem to have overlooked
    This means if you work for or have a material interest in or membership of:

* a transport service provider,
    * a transport infrastructure provider,
    * a council organisation involved in transport,
    * a state, semi-state or QUANGO organisation involved in transport,
    * a transport equipment (including vehicle sales) supplier,
    * a construction organisation involved in transport,
    * a road fitting supplier,
    * a transport consultant,
    * a public relations consultant,
    * a politician or political organisation (formal or informal),
    * a trade union, professional organisation or employer’s organisation or consultancy representing any of the above,
    * a campaigning or lobbying organisation and
    * any person or organisation unduly affected by the work of any of the above

that you should declare so here and/or at any point where you reach a conflict of interest

anyway this is getting nowhere really it is as productive as arguing the points with a CIE driver on the steps of the bus, my final words on this are that there is no excuse for the bad behaviour outlined by the op and no excusing the bad practises by many bus eireann drivers.

Yes Indeed Foggy_Lad,I read and digested the Moderators advice particularly such lines as....
    that you should declare so here and/or at any point where you reach a conflict of interest

I have`nt,as yet,reached that point.

Whilst I have had,and continue to have,many discussions where I had clear conflict of opinion with many posters,all of which was unambigious and above board.
    Anyway this is getting nowhere really it is as productive as arguing the points with a CIE driver on the steps of the bus, my final words on this are that there is no excuse for the bad behaviour outlined by the op and no excusing the bad practises by many bus eirann drivers.

Not to be too picky about it,but since 1987 there have been no CIE drivers,I`m not even one myself as I`m a direct employee of Bus Atha Cliath......There are a few remaining ex-CIE staff holding the infamous "Letter of Comfort" but their numbers are now in the low hundreds.

As for bad practices amongst Bus Drivers,I`m fully supportive of Foggy_lad`s views here,I just don`t accept his insinuation that such badness is limited to or prevalent within Bus Eireann drivers as appears to be his case .

Just as an aside to this we have as yet no recent update from the OP as to what response was forthcoming from Bus Eireann on the specific complaint ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Yes Indeed Foggy_Lad,I read and digested the Moderators advice particularly such lines as....

I have`nt,as yet,reached that point.

Whilst I have had,and continue to have,many discussions where I had clear conflict of opinion with many posters,all of which was unambigious and above board.

Not to be too picky about it,but since 1987 there have been no CIE drivers,I`m not even one myself as I`m a direct employee of Bus Atha Cliath......There are a few remaining ex-CIE staff holding the infamous "Letter of Comfort" but their numbers are now in the low hundreds.

As for bad practices amongst Bus Drivers,I`m fully supportive of Foggy_lad`s views here,I just don`t accept his insinuation that such badness is limited to or prevalent within Bus Eireann drivers as appears to be his case .

Just as an aside to this we have as yet no recent update from the OP as to what response was forthcoming from Bus Eireann on the specific complaint ?
    certainly not limited to bus eireann or dublin bus drivers and i apologise if i gave that impression but prevelant i would say yes, as they by far outnumber drivers in any other company.

bus eireann are the largest coach operator in the republic and as a semi-state company should set their standard above others but i dont see that happening, i see them being more lax and laid back about passenger safety and comfort than any of the private operators i have travelled with and it seems to be a case of the attitude spreading from management down to the drivers but in the op's case it appears more like a surly driver taking his bad attitude out on the general public akin to a road rage incident.

I see them being more lax and laid back about passenger safety and comfort than any of the private operators i have travelled with and it seems to be a case of the attitude spreading from management down to the drivers

If Foggy_Lad can substantiate that particular allegation then I have no doubt whatsoever he will get a substantial response from Bus Eireann management should he decide to report thge incident(s)

Ball`s in your court Foggy_Lad.

My recent complaints about the condition of bus eireann on hire coaches substantiates my claim. Private operators allowed by bus eireann to use busses that would probably not otherwise be on the road until repairs or refurbishment was carried out. Busses with broken window units and burnt out air conditioning or no windscreen de-misting etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

foggy_lad wrote: »
    My recent complaints about the condition of bus eireann on hire coaches substantiates my claim. Private operators allowed by bus eireann to use busses that would probably not otherwise be on the road until repairs or refurbishment was carried out. Busses with broken window units and burnt out air conditioning or no windscreen de-misting etc etc

give over FFS.

some of yourcomments/accusations are ridico.

HTFU.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thebullkf wrote: »
    give over FFS.

some of yourcomments/accusations are ridico.

HTFU.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    yes whatever that is I'm sure I would agree!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement