Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking / Finance - Sponsorship

Options
  • 17-05-2010 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Been here in Sydney for the last 6 months messing around in odd jobs ie furniture removals etc..
    Was grand for a while but sick of it now tbh.

I've a few interviews lined up now though for temp / contract work in Banking / Finance industry (what I did back home).
    I was just wondering though, would anyone know if the Financial Institutions in Oz would sponsor you if they thought you were worthwhile holding onto?

I haven't done any seasonal work so I'm not sure I HAVE to do this before even being considered for anything over and above the one year?

If anyone is in the same boat or knows the deal, I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It would depend on what you're doing in Banking/Finance which would determine if you're even eligible for sponsorship.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/new-list-of-occupations.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I worked in processing mortgage applications and the dept of immigration had judged that the job description didn’t qualify for sponsorship as a skilled migrant even though the managers were trying to sponsor somebody, paid the fees etc.

Some banks or financial institutions might also have policies against sponsorship, you should ask in an interview (& it would also look good if you appear keen to stay on longer).

But if you’re at a level that will qualify on the skills list by all means they would be willing to sponsor you. It’s easier for employers to hold onto staff than to pay a recruiter to find somebody new, have them trained up and have the doubt if they’ll stay in the job or be good enough for it. They might deduct the cost of the sponsorship, a few grand, from your salary but that’s worth it. You’re challenge is to get work at all on your WHV. Lot’s of employers and recruitment agents are turned off by WHVs because they’re higher risk of quitting, calling in sick etc. Play the enthusiasm card, you love Oz etc, even with recruitment agents.

You don't need to do any rural work to get sponsored. That's only to qualify for a second WHV. Look at the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

Cheers lads, thanks for the replys.

I think your right Philious, it's probably best if inquire about it at interview stage.

The only reason I mentioned the seasonal work was because, for some reason I thought that they wouldn't even entertain a sponsorship type arrangement if you hadn't at least done the seasonal work, be it in year 1 or 2.

Anyway fellas, that clears things up a fair bit, so thanks for that and all the best!

Advertisement