Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blanc to replace Domenech after World Cup.

• 17-05-2010 6:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Not officially confirmed but the source is the BBC, so pretty certain.

Odds on asstrology fan Domenech to win the WC now? :p
    Laurent Blanc will leave Bordeaux to become France boss

Blanc's Bordeaux side have ended the season without a trophy
    World Cup winner Laurent Blanc will quit as Bordeaux coach and replace Raymond Domenech as manager of France after this summer's World Cup.

The 44-year-old former Manchester United defender guided Bordeaux to the 2009 League and Cup Double but his side ended this season without a trophy.

The French federation is expected to officially confirm Blanc as Domenech's successor on Thursday.

Blanc was part of the France team that won the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000.

Bordeaux said in a statement: "Girondins Bordeaux have been informed by Laurent Blanc that he wanted to answer favourably to the French federation (FFF)'s solicitation to become the France coach.

"Girondins Bordeaux expect to hear from the FFF on the question of the compensation linked to the release of their coach."

Blanc had a successful career as a centre-back at Barcelona, Marseille and Inter Milan.

But, after success as a manager with Bordeaux in 2009, his side finished sixth in the league this season and were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage by fellow French side Lyon.

Domenech has long bore the brunt of fans' frustrations following a disappointing Euro 2008 campaign where France picked up only one point and finished bottom of their group.

But the Frenchman said he had not been told whether he would be replaced by Blanc after the World Cup in South Africa.

"I'm not the one who decides on this," said Domenech.

"Blanc proved he was able to be in charge at club level. But coaching a national team is a different job.

"He will have to be ready immediately because the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign starts in September."

France start their World Cup campaign against Uruguay on 11 June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8685345.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I know it seem nobody in france be it media or public or even players like Domenech but it's a pretty serious kick to the nuts to announce the teams replacement before the world cup has even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What if Domenech wins it?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

racso1975 wrote: »
    I know it seem nobody in france be it media or public or even players like Domenech but it's a pretty serious kick to the nuts to announce the teams replacement before the world cup has even started.

Completely agree that it is stupid to stir up who will be next before the world cup but god I am delighted that Domenech is finally gone. How he lasted so long will forever baffle me.

Who ever takes over which I'd say will be Blanc, it can't be hard to do better than Domenech. France have quality all over the place so maybe the future is bright for them.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What if Domenech wins it?

I'd doubt he will based on qualifying performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd doubt he will based on qualifying performances.

They were rubbish in the 2006 WC Group. Drawing with Korea and Switzerland if my memory is correct. They picked it up in the latter stages though.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    They were rubbish in the 2006 WC Group. Drawing with Korea and Switzerland if my memory is correct. They picked it up in the latter stages though.

They certainly were and yet, they didn't particularly pick up, Zidane dragged them along more like. Zidane, Makalele and Thuram returned to the French set up because they wre doing so badly. After that, things picked up for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Even though France have an easy group, I still see them struggling to get out of it. I expect them to be knocked out in the second round.

Domenech is a bit of a joke, the French people think he is a clown and rightly so.

Advertisement