Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which microphone?

Options
  • 17-05-2010 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Planning on getting a microphone to start recording some original samples, both vocal and on a variety of different instruments. Preferably I'd like to be able to record both vocal samples (something like the line in this), and instruments on the same microphone - simply for budget reasons.

Are there any mics that'd give quite a high quality sound on both? A clear sound on the instruments is more important, so I was looking at small-diaphragm ones like this, but I imagine that wouldn't give a great sound for vocals. Is there a mic that will give a good sound across both, maybe a condenser, or would I be better just getting two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Shure SM57.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

If you're on a tight budget the sm57 or sm58 are my recommendations.
    The things are just bulletproof. I'm no mic expert, but I know what I put mine through. Really pleased with mine. Have recorded drums, crowds, guitars and vocals.

There are better on the market at higher prices though, if you've the cash. And multiple mic's for different things is obviously the most professional way to go.

But sm57 and sm58 are just so hard to fault. And probably easy to sell second hand too if you ever need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

youll need a condenser mic if you want it for doing vocals ideally.. they capture the higher frequencies better.. I picked one up cheap recently, done vocals with it last week, very happy with the results..

http://www.thomann.de/ie/prod_cbundle_219.html?gk=migr&cbcid=1302&art=40734

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

If you're on a tight budget the sm57 or sm58 are my recommendations.
    The things are just bulletproof. I'm no mic expert, but I know what I put mine through. Really pleased with mine. Have recorded drums, crowds, guitars and vocals.

There are better on the market at higher prices though, if you've the cash. And multiple mic's for different things is obviously the most professional way to go.

But sm57 and sm58 are just so hard to fault. And probably easy to sell second hand too if you ever need to.

Cheers, that's sound advice, seems like a good option alright. Might go that route so, and pick one of them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

get a cheap pre amp too...

http://www.thomann.de/ie/art_tube_mp.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

oootini wrote: »

I have quite a good soundcard, an M-Audio Profire 610, so the microphone is all I need.

So would the 57 or 58 be more versatile? Seeing as instruments are more important I'm guessing the 57 wouhld be a better bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

57 and 58 are the same mic - just buy a 58 and remove the ball cover to use it as a 57

Advertisement