Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08 Mavic Ksyrium Elite Hub Fail

• 17-05-2010 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks

re: very happy to be in one piece after an interesting mechanical issue travelling east descending down Luggala towards roundwood.

Although wheelset is about 2 years old, didnt hit a pothole or any road debris - just had to brake hard since pair of cars broke suddenly 20 metres in front.
    Heard loud crack and immediately broke a little harder, rolled and broke again and unclipped just in case, before stopping and breathing a high sigh of relief.

At first thought it was a broken spoke but on closer inspection (see pics) it appears fairly serious damage to the hood has occured.

note: I bought the wheelset with the bike whilst working in the UK
    Any advice of next steps appreciated.
    Im guessing options include:

a) contact mavic directly about the issue (if anyone can pass along contact details of an Irish or Uk service dept Id appreciate it since its not very obvious on their website)
    b) Go to lbs and get them to help via their Mavic sales guy

Ive been quoted on so many occasions that the wheels and hubs are bomb proof on the elites ;) oh the irony ... but as above - still very happy to be in one piece

Again, any advice appreciated.

BTW, Many thanks to a 4*4 driver who took pity and the time to drop me and bike into the relative civilization that is roundwood

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Yeah, that hub is toast.

My guess would be to go with option 'B' (no, not 'plan B' - no need to run wildly around the nearest grass surface you see :D). Any claim needs to go through a Mavic dealer anyway.

The standard Mavic warranty is 2yrs from date of purchase so dig out your receipt and see if you're in luck (your LBS might argue on your behalf if you're only just gone over it?). The hub body is usuall not one of the things excluded from warranty repair as a result of wear & tear so you could very well find yourself in luck with this one yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

You will need a receipt. Also remember that the lbs needs do nothing on your behalf, and what they do is at their discretion. Also be prepared to wait about 4-6 weeks. Warranty returns can take a while with mavic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

You will need a receipt. Also remember that the lbs needs do nothing on your behalf, and what they do is at their discretion. Also be prepared to wait about 4-6 weeks. Warranty returns can take a while with mavic.

Thanks for the replies guys and the advice.

BTW, Ive no expectations of getting too much help from my LBS since as you say its nothing to do with them - just thought it might be worth talking to them for advice or to see if they can put me in contact with their Mavic guy.

Again, Im happy to be in one piece - sure Im down a front wheel - but it could have been soooooo much worse considering where I was when it happened.

Id buy the same wheel again tomorrow if I absolutely had to but just thought I get some informed opinions from my LBS and/or Mavic regarding what if anything I can do to prevent something like this occuring again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

interested wrote: »
    I've been quoted on so many occasions that the wheels and hubs are bomb proof on the elites

I imagine the Mavic employee whose mad PR skillz were tuned to perfection by the R-Sys fiasco would have no trouble with this one...

"Do you remember coming into recent contact with a roadside IED? No, didn't think so. We stand by our claim that Ksyrium hubs are bomb proof, but if you check the warranty detail you will see no such guarantees concerning potholes, rain or inclement barometric conditions. What do you want, blood? Zut alors!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

interested wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys and the advice.

BTW, Ive no expectations of getting too much help from my LBS since as you say its nothing to do with them - just thought it might be worth talking to them for advice or to see if they can put me in contact with their Mavic guy.

Again, Im happy to be in one piece - sure Im down a front wheel - but it could have been soooooo much worse considering where I was when it happened.

Id buy the same wheel again tomorrow if I absolutely had to but just thought I get some informed opinions from my LBS and/or Mavic regarding what if anything I can do to prevent something like this occuring again.
    Go to the LBS. Ask nicely. It helps to buy consumables there. The only cost incurred to the LBS is talking to you, which they should do if they want return custom. The Mavic rep will pick it up, and ship to the Mavic Service Centre in the UK (this may incur shipping cost, cos wheel was bought in UK, but may not). This will take ages, as the Mavic rep is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Go to the LBS. Ask nicely. It helps to buy consumables there. The only cost incurred to the LBS is talking to you, which they should do if they want return custom. The Mavic rep will pick it up, and ship to the Mavic Service Centre in the UK (this may incur shipping cost, cos wheel was bought in UK, but may not). This will take ages, as the Mavic rep is useless.

This was what I did earlier this morning. Again, my attitude is more along the lines of 'can you tell me what happened' as opposed to 'hey, give me ...'. I really like Mavic and this is the first / only time Ive had any issue with their wheels / hubs etc. I suspect I wont get to know how it happened but worst case scenario I might find out something that might prevent this occuring again since I doubt I could get that lucky twice.

Thanks again for the input folks.

Advertisement