Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone TOMTOM

Options
  • 17-05-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

All

Wonder could you help with my query.

Downloaded tom tom western on the iphone when i was recently on holdiay and now i would like to use this in the car. I was looking at the GPS enhancer for the iphone but it is €100 and there are copies on ebay for less than €10.

What is the best, i find the GPS is not that strong on the iphone on its own but it is worth paying 100 for the tomtom accessory.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would not consider it good value. For the price of the map,the software & the cradle you would get a good dedicated device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

cheers for the opinion but i have already downloaded the software and it worked really well so I am happy with that part of it, just would like to have some opinions on which holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quiggs1000

I've been using the TomTom cradle for a number of months now and it does significantly improve GPS reception. It's as good as a stand alone unit when using the cradle. The increase speech volume is also helpful. It's not cheap as you suggest though.

You have to have the cradle connected to a power supply before you can avail of the improved GPS reception; it won't use the iphone's battery as a source of power.

Yep, that's the one I was talking about alright.

• Advertisement

so what do you need after this. Do i need to buy an additional power unit or is it all inclusive

No, it comes with a car charger. Once you get this unit you'll be good to go. It also works with other gps apps on the iphone, not just TomTom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

quiggs1000 wrote: »
    No, it comes with a car charger. Once you get this unit you'll be good to go. It also works with other gps apps on the iphone, not just TomTom.

for anyone interested in getting a sat nav app, I bought NDrive Uk and Ire as the price has been greatly reduced (now 5.99). I have used it in Dublin, it uses the same maps as Tom Tom, works perfectly.

They also do European maps for 30 euro I think, as well as Asia, USA etc..

Also, no issues with it loosing signal (using a 3gs) so will be just getting a generic screen mount/holder for 10 odd euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is there any word on when the next version of tomtom for the iPhone is due for release. Its been a while since 1.3 came out. I wonder what enhancements the new version will have?

Hopefully Live traffic updates will be coming, that would be the killer feature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the moment no live services are available in Ireland.

koolkid wrote: »
    At the moment no live services are available in Ireland.

I was just about to start a thread regarding HD services. Cheers koolkid

Advertisement