Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the World Cup & Why ?

• 17-05-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts ?

FIFA 2010 World Cup Winners 151 votes

France
    0% 0 votes
    Argentina
    0% 1 vote
    England
    7% 12 votes
    Germany
    12% 19 votes
    Holland
    7% 11 votes
    Italy
    4% 7 votes
    Brazil
    3% 5 votes
    Spain
    22% 34 votes
    Other
    41% 62 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Spain because I have €10 on them to win and Messi to be top scorer at 60-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Spain because I have €10 on them to win and Messi to be top scorer at 60-1

Spain it is so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Was thinking the same, but will wait on the fitness of Torres, Xavi and Cesc before I put a bet down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Germany.

Because the defending champions are too old
    Spain are too fragile
    Brazil are not inspirational - but could make the final
    Argentina are hampered by Maradona
    England are mediocre
    France are blown

I expect it will be between Germany and Brazil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Spain to win.
    but after that, anyone but England!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I hope Spain because its my second home as we have a place in the south of Spain.
    When Ireland are not involved ive always supported Spain.

Im not saying they will win it but they have a hell of a chance.

Forgot to mention ill be in Spain for the start of the WC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

When you rule out Italy(too old) Argentina(Maradona factor) France(Domenech factor) Holland(bound to be a row) Spain(injuries) i wouldnt be surprised to see England win it. Hope not but dont rule it out. Ivory Coast could go far too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

England.

Just because the vista of crestfallen, pained faces in my local will be a joy to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A european team has never won the WC when its been hosted outside europe. Records are there to be broken, France will win it :eek:

I expect an African team to get farther than ever, semis probably, home advantage and all that - a bit like how Korea did with home advantage in 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

stovelid wrote: »
    England.

Just because the vista of crestfallen, pained faces in my local will be a joy to behold.

i have a feeling england will do it. gonna have a punt on a double of them winning and rooney top goalscorer, comes in at 30/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Australia to do a Greece, with a fully fit Harry Kewell lifting the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

A european team has never won the WC when its been hosted outside europe. Records are there to be broken, France will win it :eek:

I expect an African team to get farther than ever, semis probably, home advantage and all that - a bit like how Korea did with home advantage in 2002

But only South Africa have home advantage. Otherwise you could say Italy had home advantage last time round because they are in the same contintent as Germany.

That said, Ivory Coast have probably the best African team ever at a World Cup, but they were a mess at the AFC and there are too many good teams this time around for them to pull a surprise.

If England get rid of Emile Heskey, they are favourites for me because they combine enough world class players with a solid team and a solid manager (except for his choice of Heskey).

Argentina are unpredictable but always have a chance due to the sheer class up front especially Messi - they are like Brazil in previous world cups - a bit of a mess tactically but enough class up front to win it.

Spain have an amazing team and Brazil have a chance; although they don't have a great team, they are solid enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Not to mention the brilliant Guus-factor!

I'll always be sad thinking about that :( If we managed to beat Spain in the shoot-out Ireland would've faced Korea in the quarters, who knows what might have happened! Then Germany in the semis!

For this World Cup, I fancy a European team to do it. Spain can **** up, like the USA game in FIFA Confederation Cup. You never know with England. Capello has worked wonders. France/Germany/Italy are all capable..

Spain, I just have a feeling about them. Xavi injured, should make it back, their main striker Villa is fit though! Even without those 2, who they have quality. Iniesta, Alonso, Casillas, Puyol just to name some..

I think England will make it to the semis. African teams won't make it past quarters imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The refs helped them along too.

I reckon Spain or Brazil.

Spain do have a few injuries but they can recover from it, especially seeing as they have a comparatively eaiser group than others. Also, they have three top class keepers.

Brazil are totally different under Dunga. They are workhorses, not as fancy as we're used to. They have some really good players in there too who aren't flashy but give 100% and are great at their job like Maicon and Ramires. They are very tough to beat and tend to grind out results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2006: The three teams everybody was talking about were Argentina, Brazil and Spain. None of them made the semi-finals.

2002: Everybody was talking about Brazil, France and Italy with some suggesting Argentina. Brazil beat Germany in the final, France and Argentina didn't make it out of their groups while Italy struggled in the group stages before getting beaten by Korea in the last 16.

1998: Brazil went in as strong favourites with Italy very strongly fancied also. Holland had a lot of supporters too as did Argentina. France were known to be a decent side but most questioned their chances based on the nation's previous failures to do it when it counted. Brazil lost to France in the final, Holland and Crotia made the semi-finals.

As you can see it doesn't go according to plan too often. Spain are rightly favourites this time but that doesn't mean they will even get out of their group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

England have a good shout.

- Favourable weather
    - Top coach
    - Several top class players - Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, A. Cole - & plenty of experience.
    - Easy "half" of the draw. They avoid Brazil & Spain until the semis. Probable 2nd round match against Germany and quarter final against France, both of which are eminently beatable.
    - English teams rarely capitulate when they're expected to buckle. Exits from last 3 tournaments were unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

big blow for the Germans, ballack is out of the wc

KerranJast wrote: »
    England have a good shout.

- Favourable weather
    - Top coach
    - Several top class players - Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, A. Cole - & plenty of experience.
    - Easy "half" of the draw. They avoid Brazil & Spain until the semis. Probable 2nd round match against Germany and quarter final against France, both of which are eminently beatable.
    - English teams rarely capitulate when they're expected to buckle. Exits from last 3 tournaments were unlucky.

Favourable weather? It's Africa! :P

Surely it's a disadvantage if any? Spain, Brazil, Italy ect will all be used to the higher temp and the humidity!
    Headshot wrote: »
    big blow for the Germans, ballack out of the wc

Dammit, they were my sweep stake team :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Headshot wrote: »
    big blow for the Germans, ballack is out of the wc
    Where did you get that from? link?

I thought he couldn't have a scan until midweek due to swelling?

IvySlayer wrote: »

Surely it's a disadvantage if any? Spain, Brazil, Italy ect will all be used to the higher temp and the humidity!
    It'll be Winter in SA. Southern Hemisphere and all that. The weather in winter there is very much like our Spring except without the rain.
    Winter

Winter in South Africa (May to July) is characterised in the higher-lying areas of the interior plateau by dry, sunny, crisp days and cold nights. So it's a good idea to bring warm clothes.

The hot, humid KwaZulu-Natal coast, as well as the Lowveld (lower-lying areas) of Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces, offer fantastic winter weather with sunny, warmish days and virtually no wind or rain.

The Western Cape gets most of its rain in winter, with quite a few days of cloudy, rainy weather. However, these are always interspersed with wonderful days to rival the best of a British summer.

The high mountains of the Cape and the Drakensberg in KwaZulu-Natal usually get snow in winter.

Max temp in Winter there is rarely above 25deg C.

• Advertisement

source ssn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

But it's winter there, it'll probably be in the teens most days. And the humidity will be very low. June/July are the driest months there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_South_Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

eagle eye wrote: »
    Where did you get that from? link?

I thought he couldn't have a scan until midweek due to swelling?

No link as of yet but breaking news on www.skysports.com and www.bbc.co.uk/sport

KerranJast and HalloweenJack you win this time :D

KerranJast and HalloweenJack you win this time :D
    Us and our pesky dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I think Brazil will win it because they have a very settled squad and are well organized with plenty of talented players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Argentina...

they're bringing a lot of players from the argentine league....as opposed to adopting a european style of play. (not sure that even makes sense :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Argentina, depending on whether their strikeforce pulls them through...

Aguero + Higuain + Messi > the 'Maradona factor' ??

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Argentina...

they're bringing a lot of players from the argentine league....as opposed to adopting a european style of play. (not sure that even makes sense :rolleyes:)

Looks very european to me ?

Javier Zanetti and Esteban Cambiasso out of Argentina World Cup squad
    • Internazionale pair omitted from Diego Maradona's plans
    • Five England-based players in 30-man preliminary squad
    (31)Tweet this (30)Press Association
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 12 May 2010 01.38 BST
    Article history

Inter team-mates Esteban Cambiasso, right, and Javier Zanetti have missed out on Argentina's preliminary World Cup squad. Photograph: Luca Bruno/AP

Javier Zanetti and Esteban Cambiasso are set to miss the World Cup after being left out of Diego Maradona's 30-man preliminary squad. The Internazionale pair have been two of the key players for the Serie A leaders and integral in the team reaching the Champions League final against Bayern Munich but appear unlikely to be in South Africa this summer.

The Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Gago and the Barcelona central defender Gabriel Milito are other prominent absentees. Inter, though, will be represented by the striker Diego Milito, and the defender Walter Samuel, while the Bayern defender Martin Demichelis has also been selected.

Five England-based players have been included – the Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, Newcastle's Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutiérrez and the Liverpool duo of Javier Mascherano and Maxi Rodriguez.

The Colon defender Ariel Garce – who has one cap – Lanus's midfielder Sebastian Blanco and the Newell's Old Boys defender Juan Manuel Insaurralde are the surprise inclusions after impressing the manager, Maradona.

Argentina squadSergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Diego Pozo (Colon); Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Walter Samuel (Inter Milan), Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marseille), Nicolas Otamendi (Velez Sarsfield), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Juan Manuel Insaurralde (Newell's Old Boys), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes), Ariel Garce (Colon); Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Sebastian Blanco (Lanus), Juan Sebastian Veron (Estudiantes), Jesus Datolo (Olympiacos), Jose Sosa (Estudiantes), Maximiliano Rodriguez (Liverpool), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Angel Di María (Benfica), Jonas Gutiérrez (Newcastle), Javier Pastore (Palermo); Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid), Diego Milito (Inter Milan), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ivory Coast have Brazil and Portugal to split up if they are gonna get out of their group. Cant see that happening, Ghana a better bet IMO

gustavo wrote: »
    I think Brazil will win it because they have a very settled squad and are well organized with plenty of talented players

Even the minnowish Irish made them look very uncomfortable in the friendly not so long ago (i know it was only a friendly) but a top class attaching team will put Brazil under too much pressure.
    I dont expect Brazil to make semi's

Ivory Coast have Brazil and Portugal to split up if they are gonna get out of their group. Cant see that happening, Ghana a better bet IMO
    I think Ivory Coast will take Portugal and could get a draw against Brazil. That should be enough to get them 2nd spot at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

alibabba wrote: »
    Even the minnowish Irish made them look very uncomfortable in the friendly not so long ago (i know it was only a friendly) but a top class attaching team will put Brazil under too much pressure.
    I dont expect Brazil to make semi's

Eh? I watched that match, fair enough it was 50-50 for the first half but Brazil dismantled Ireland in the second half and won in a canter. Brazil have the best defense in this year's World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

England have a decent shout this time around, Capello is a very good manager and they've some world class players who have played together a long time. Also if Rooney is on anything close to his season-form he'll be worth 2 players to any team.

And the most satisfying reason would be to stick it in the face of those who follow english football but want them to fail. I can't understand those people - like the guy who has his Location as "Anfield" and said "anyone but England!" in his post. Chummmmp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Brazil to win it as it would take a very very good side to beat Brazil and I don't see such a side at the moment.

They have the best goalkeeper in the world as well as some of the best defenders in the world, Lucio and Maicon. Kaka pulling the strings in midfield and Fabiano up front to bang in the goals.

Spain always flop at the world cup and I don't think this time will be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

England: only true weak link for them is the goalkeeper, as no truly world class one has popped up.

I hope England lift it, they're overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

DazMarz wrote: »
    England: only true weak link for them is the goalkeeper, as no truly world class one has popped up.

Would have put question marks on their defence and midfield aswell tbh.

Brazil to beat Spain in the final.

Warper wrote: »
    Eh? I watched that match, fair enough it was 50-50 for the first half but Brazil dismantled Ireland in the second half and won in a canter. Brazil have the best defense in this year's World Cup.

No they dont (maybe on paper)

During their qualifiers, they conceded 11 goals
    Spain, Germany even England conceded half that amount.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

alibabba wrote: »
    No they dont (maybe on paper)

During their qualifiers, they conceded 11 goals
    Spain, Germany even England conceded half that amount.

Time will tell.

South American teams play 18 games as opposed to 10 for European.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm actually surprised to be saying this but I wouldn't mind seeing England win it. As much as I like watching Spain, the collective media circle jerk over them (and Barcelona to an extent) the last two years is nauseating and I never like seeing favourites win, always prefer the underdog. Plus we have the most dull Brazil side since the last dull Brazil side won in '94 and put us all to sleep (remember that bloody final?!). At least with England we have big personalities that we recognise, attractive football and a world-class manager. Do note that I'm saying all this before their media has blown any sense of perspective out of the water, as they will in a few weeks

Outside of those three teams I don't want to see winners from Germany (ho-hum, another suprisingly fantastic performance from the Germans in a major tournament), Italy (hate Lippi), France (hate Domenech) or Argentina (although I love some of their players I can't stand Maradona). So that leaves ...England I guess? Obviously would be great to see Holland do it too but I don't trust their defence

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd love to see the Dutch, Spain, or the Ivory Coast win it.

Can't really call who will win it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

En-Ger-Land, surely it's their year this time

Nice read of one preview I came across today, particularly the last paragraph :D

2010 World Cup Preview and Prediction

For the 32 teams that qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the wait is over for the draw. The groups are set, and the teams now know who they will play in their first game and in their group.

As always, some teams got a great draw and some got a scary draw. No matter what kind of draw a team has received, they still have 187 days to prepare for their opening game.

The draws can be broken down and reasonable guesses can be made to which teams will advance to the round of sixteen. Also, a look at a potential nightmare for FIFA in the 2010 World Cup, due to the lack of action regarding the handball felt round the world.

Group A (FIFA Rankings)

1. South Africa (86)

2. Mexico (15)

3. Uruguay (19)

4. France (7)

The host country has never failed to reach the round of 16, but there is a first time for everything. South Africa will have a very hard time of advancing out of this group. The one bright spot is the Bafana Bafana will have the home crowd support.

Mexico has advanced to the round of 16 in the last four World Cups. Mexico finished qualifying in second place in CONCACAF, behind the United States. A fifth trip to the second round is very possible for El Tri.

Uruguay the 1930 winners missed the last final in Germany in 2006. Do not sleep on the Charrúas to make a second round break through if they can beat Mexico.

France gets a nice draw after the controversial Thierry Henry handball eliminated Ireland. The French become a de-facto number one seed with their draw into this group. Les Bleus should get a chance to get back to the World Cup final again by advancing out of this group. France did not score a lot of goals in qualifying, but plays stingy defense.

Advancing: France, Mexico

Group B

1. Argentina (8)

2. Nigeria (22)

3. South Korea (52)

4. Greece (12)

Argentina is the most interesting team in the tournament. They have the talent it to win it all with Lionel Messi, Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero. However, the antics of their coach, Diego Maradona, could be their undoing. One thing is for sure, the Albicelestes can make plenty of noise either good or bad.

Nigeria needed two late goals on the last day of African qualifying to earn their spot in the draw. The Super Eagles do not have the depth they have had in other years. Nigeria is also dealing with rumors that coach Shaibu Amodu might be replaced by Italian Roberto Mancini.

South Korea is enjoying its seventh straight appearance in the World Cup. They are the best team in the AFC qualifying group. South Korea is also unbeaten in 27 straight matches until a 3-1 loss to Serbia.

Greece is still trying to find success after their unlikely Euro 2004 win. They followed up that win by missing the 2006 World Cup. The Greeks needed to win a playoff to get into the tournament and have plenty of stars to make a run in South Africa.

Advancing: Argentina, Greece

Group C

1. England (9)

2. United States (14)

3. Algeria (28)

4. Slovenia (33)

England was the most dominant team in European qualifying for the World Cup. The Three Lions are one of the favorites to win it all, with Italian Fabio Capello as coach. England will have Wayne Rooney and David Beckham will come off the bench to lead them to what could be their second World Cup title. The draw was nearly perfect for England.

The United States gets a chance to prove their run in the Confederations Cup and the Gold Cup was not a fluke. Bob Bradley and the Yanks need to at least make it to the second round. The USA cannot get caught up in the hype of playing England in their first game. The Stars and Stripes will also need to find replacements for Charlie Davies and Oguchi Onyewu.

Algeria clinched their spot in the World Cup by beating arch rival Egypt in a playoff. This is their first appearance in the FIFA final since 1986. Les Fennecs will have to work hard to pull out a trip to the second round.

Slovenia shocked the soccer world by defeating Russia in the European playoffs. They will look to do better than the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where they went home pointless. Slovenia plays stingy defense and used that defense to get to South Africa.

Advancing: England, United States

Group D (Group of Death Runner Up)

1. Germany (6)

2. Australia (21)

3. Serbia (20)

4. Ghana (37)

Germany has a chance to go far in South Africa in 2010. As always, the Germans play solid, all around soccer. Michael Ballack leads a team that is full of excellent players, but not full of stars. Look for Germany to better their third place finish in the 2006 World Cup.

Australia’s move from the Oceanic Football Confederation to the Asian Football Confederation paid off with an easy qualification in to the 2010 World Cup. The Socceroos gave eventual 2006 champion Italy all they could handle in the last World Cup, and in 2005 played Germany tough in the Confederations Cup. Do not sleep on Australia as a dark horse to make a move in this tournament.

Serbia finished in first place in their qualifying group for the first time in team history. This team finished ahead of France to earn their spot in South Africa. The Beli Orlovi is lead by scrappy defender Nemanja Vidic. Coach Radi Antic has Serbia in position to make a run in this tournament.

Ghana could be the most successful African team behind Egypt and is making its second straight World Cup appearance. The Black Stars will go as far as their star Michael Essien can take them. In Germany, Essien led Ghana into the second round. A trip past the first round would be quite a feat this time for Ghana.

Advancing: Germany, Australia

Group E

Netherlands (3)

Denmark (26)

Japan (43)

Cameroon (11)

The Netherlands win a lot of games, but not a lot of trophies. The Oranje played in a very easy qualifying group in order to get into the tournament. Do not be surprised if the Netherlands make an early exit. If the Netherlands can be more than a group stage hero, and not a knock out round zero, they could make noise.

Denmark was a shocker to qualify for the World Cup beating Portugal and Sweden to advance out of their group. The Danes have also beaten the Netherlands in five of their last six matches. Longstanding coach Morten Olson has gotten the best from his players. A trip to the second round is possible from this Denmark team.

Japan’s coach, Takeshi Okada, wants his team to reach the semifinals in the 2010 World Cup. That might be a lot to ask after their failure to get out of the second round in Germany. For Japan to have any chance to equal their 2006 mark, they will need dead-ball specialist Shunsuke Nakamura to make some magic. Another early departure is more likely.

Cameroon looked like they were about to miss their second straight World Cup. That was until they fired Otto Pfister and hired Paul Le Guen. The Lions Indomptables will go as far as striker Samuel Eto’o can take them. A trip to the second round is very possible for this team.

Advancing: Denmark, Cameroon

Group F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. New Zealand

4. Slovakia

The defending champions got a great draw, but an easy group will only hide the fact that this team has only gotten older. Marcello Lippi is under fire for the team's less than convincing matches after the Azzurri won the tournament in 2006. Italy still has the best goaltender, Gianluigi Buffon, and inspirational defender Fabio Cannavaro. Italy can take heart of the fact that they are 3-0 against their group in recent meetings and have outscored them 10-4 as well.

Paraguay finished a very respectable third in South American qualifying, behind Brazil and Chile. The best Paraguay has ever done in the World Cup was reaching the round of sixteen. Paraguay will rely on their talented strikers to move on past the group stage. They will be playing for a second place finish in this group.

New Zealand could just be happy to be in South Africa. This is the All Whites second appearance in the World Cup. New Zealand might be looking at three losses and a trip home. The Kiwis will need a magical run if they are to advance to the second round.

Slovakia has qualified for their first ever World Cup. To do so, Slovakia won its qualifying group. Slovakia is a solid team and will be batting Paraguay for second place in this group. They could be the surprise of the tournament if they advance.

Advancing: Italy, Paraguay

Group G (The Group of Death)

1. Brazil

2. North Korea

3. Ivory Coast

4. Portugal

Brazil is the only team to have qualified for every World Cup and have the most tournament wins, with five. Once again in South Africa, the Brazilians will be a favorite to win it all. Brazil has a ton of talent, as always, and coach Dunga has done a good job of getting all the players to play as a team. This team has a plenty of creative players starting with Kaka in the midfield and Louis Fabiano at striker.

North Korea is making its first appearance since 1966, and look to make a quick exit. The Group G draw was about as bad as it could get for North Korea. They could lose all three games. The only thing North Korea can hope for is doing better than South Korea.

The Ivory Coast squad may have the best chance for an African team to win the World Cup. Les Éléphants could be cursing their luck, as far as how the has draw went for them, two finals in a row. Still, the Ivory Coast will always have a chance to win with striker Didier Drogba. However, they might need some luck to reach the second round.

Portugal needed to win a playoff against Bosnia and Herzegovina, after finishing second to Denmark in group play of European qualifying. They spent most of qualifying without star striker Cristiano Ronaldo due to injury. Portugal needs to make it to the second round if coach Carlos Queirós wants to keep his job.

Advancing: Brazil, Portugal

Group H

1. Spain (1)

2. Switzerland (18)

3. Honduras (38)

4. Chile (17)

The main question for this Spanish team is in regards to which team will show up for this tournament. The one that cruised to the Euro title in 2008? Or the team that lost to the USA in the Confederations Cup? Spain has plenty of stars with Fernando Torres, David Villa and more. La Furia Roja had better make it to the final four, or coach Vicente Del Bosque might be a sacrificed to appease their fans.

Switzerland woke up after a loss to tiny Luxembourg at home. The Swiss then turned it on and qualified first in their weak group. Switzerland more than likely is one of three teams playing for second place behind Spain. In Euro 2008, the Swiss were eliminated after two games.

Honduras can thank the USA for giving them their automatic berth into the World Cup. This is only the second time in national team history that Honduras has qualified for the tournament. That was the 1982 World Cup, where Los Catrachos were able to manage draws with Spain and Northern Ireland. A loss to Yugoslavia ended their '82 World Cup run. Honduras is playing for second in this group.

Chile could be the one team in this group to steal the first from Spain. La Roja finished second behind Brazil in South American qualifying. Chile is back in the World Cup for the first time since 1998. They have a very young and talented squad that could make a run if they get into the second round.

Advancing: Spain, Chile

The Rest of the Tournament

Group A winner France will take on Group B runner-up Greece in the second round. Les Blues will win a hard fought match.

Group B winner Argentina will face Group A runner-up Mexico. The Albicelestes will squeak into the third round with a win.

Group C winner England will face group D runner-up Australia. The Three Lions will have no problem dispatching their former penal colony.

The Germans will be the winner of Group D and will play Group C runner-up USA. The Germans will be efficient in their return trip to the third round.

Denmark will be the winner of Group E and will face Group F runner-up Paraguay. The Danes will advance over Paraguay in a tight game.

Italy will breeze through to be the Group F winners and will play Group E runner-up Cameroon. The Azzurri will play tough defense and struggle but move on in penalty kicks.

Group G winner Brazil will face Group H runner-up Chile. Brazil will win in a goal fest over Chile to advance.

Group H winner Spain will feel like they got shafted by winning their group by having to face Group G runner-up Portugal. La Furia Roja will win an instant classic to move on.

In the third round, France will fall to Argentina and Maradona’s team will advance to next round, controversially. England will face Germany in a rematch of World War II and the Three Lions will prevail again.

Denmark will shock the world and advance over an Italian team that will look old and slow. Brazil will outlast Spain, who is physically worn out after facing Portugal in the second round.

Maradona will cost his team a spot in the finals with is antics and England will advance to the World Cup Final. Facing the Three Lions will be Brazil who will oust a very tough Denmark team.

In the final, Brazil will break England’s heart by beating them in a penalty kick shootout. The win will give the Brazilians their sixth World Cup title.

FIFA’s nightmare

All will not be well in soccer, even with the win by Brazil in South Africa. FIFA will regret not doing something about the Henry handball scandal.

There will be no less than three controversial missed calls, or calls that never should have been made. One of these mistakes will also cost one team their chance to advance.

FIFA will face accusations that the tournament is rigged and that only the big named teams are allowed to advance by favorable calls. FIFA will be forced to add instant replay or extra officials to quiet the masses who may turn against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ush1 wrote: »
    South American teams play 18 games as opposed to 10 for European.

And Holland only conceded 2 in 8 and Slovenia conceded 4 in 10 - I'm not sure how much we can read into every team's goals conceded record. Interestingly enough, due to what I assumed was a huge imbalance in the Dutch quality of attackers (Robben, VP, Sneijder) over defence (Van Bronkhorst, Ooijer), I said I don't trust their defence - maybe I'm very wrong. I think Spain have the best defence though over Brazil

I hope Argentina win it with Messi having an unbelievable tournament, scoring headers from the halfway line and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And Holland only conceded 2 in 8 and Slovenia conceded 4 in 10 - I'm not sure how much we can read into every team's goals conceded record. Interestingly enough, due to what I assumed was a huge imbalance in the Dutch quality of attackers (Robben, VP, Sneijder) over defence (Van Bronkhorst, Ooijer), I said I don't trust their defence - maybe I'm very wrong. I think Spain have the best defence though over Brazil

I'm not the one who brought up stats to prove something. I think Brazil have the best defence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

England FTW, New Zealand to be the biggest jobbers in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am going to back Holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Spain are the team to beat. I know they have some concerns about the fitness of key players but I reckon they will be fit enough for the latter stages, and the group stage should be straightforward.

If Xavi is fit I could see him being the player of the tournament and a good bet for World Player of the Year, if he can help Spain to go the distance.

ill go for serbia

• Advertisement
Advertisement