Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the World Cup & Why ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I think Brazil to win it, they have a solid if not spectactular team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Hoki wrote: »

5. They were pretty much after playing for 12 months straight so exhaustion obviously played a factor with a shock win for the US . I honestly dont think that would have happened if they were a bit more fresh

Much like what Inter did to Barca, the US shut down Xavi. Spanish problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

5. They were pretty much after playing for 12 months straight so exhaustion obviously played a factor with a shock win for the US . I honestly dont think that would have happened if they were a bit more fresh

Are they going to be any fresher this summer? It'll be their third summer tournament in a row, and with most players involved in cup runs and tight league campaigns, most will have played a crazy amount of football without a break. This is already manifesting itself with their injury list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Hoki wrote: »
    1. They have a relatively weak group so i think they can rest their major injury doubts for some of these games to be fresh for the knockout stages.

2. They had never won the European Championship until 2 years ago ?

they breezed through their easy group last time out too and came undone in round 2

they had won the european championship before actually in 1964

and this year is different how?? villa, ramos, alonso, xavi, casillas, puyol have all been playing again for 12 months straight, torres and fabregas again have missed large parts of the season (just like last year)

i would really like to see spain win but i just don't see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Going for Brazil. In Fabiano they have a terrific forward. Would like to see Argentina win but they are just so volatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Spain to waiin cos they have the quality, will WANT to win their 1st ever world cup with their best ever squad. I think everyone in the squad will recover come knock out time and the hunger will take them to the roast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I've uploaded my last 16 on the xls. Germany beat Brazil on penalties

Interesting to see that you think both the hosts and France will get knocked out of Group A both South American teams will qualify. That would probably make a decent bet on its own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I believe the Netherlands will beat Brazil in the final with Babel scoring the winner!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

- a bit like how Korea did with home advantage in 2002

and the help of Byron Moreno... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

If all goes according to plan, Holland will play Brazil in the 1/4's and the winner more likely play France/England in the semi. It could be an Argentina/Germany 1/4 final and Spain/Italy with the winners in the semi's. The Spain side looks tougher than Brazil's but obviously Brazil have the tougher group but should Top it on the way to another WC victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Argentina as they have the most passionate manager and most naturally talented team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

North Korea - Because Kim Jong Il said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Warper wrote: »
    If all goes according to plan, Holland will play Brazil in the 1/4's and the winner more likely play France/England in the semi. It could be an Argentina/Germany 1/4 final and Spain/Italy with the winners in the semi's. The Spain side looks tougher than Brazil's but obviously Brazil have the tougher group but should Top it on the way to another WC victory.

But things not always go to plan.
    There will be at least one major upset in the knock-out stage, and it cud be the reason one of the big guns go out.

For example, lets just say for arguments sake, things pan out the way they should in the 1st round, the top seeds all win their groups, and the next seed finish second. This would throw up the following ties in the Round of 16:

Mexico v Nigeria
    England v Serbia
    Germany v Slovenia
    Argentina v Uruguay
    Denmark v Slovakia
    Brazil v Chile
    Italy v Netherlands
    Spain v Ivory Coast

I dont think Spain would fancy playing the Ivory Coast, Chile against Brazil will be a cracker of a game, it will be all out civil war with the argies v uruguay, jasus tbh there is no comfortable tie for anyone when you really look at it.

It cant come quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd say Brazil. Pretty much for reasons already outlined. Born winners, organised, on form and lots of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Round of 16

France 2 1 Nigeria
    England 2 1 Ghana
    Germany 1 0 Algeria
    Argentina 3 2 Mexico
    Netherlands 3 2 Paraguay
    Brazil 3 1 Chile
    Italy 1 1 Cameroon (Italy on penalties)
    Spain 3 2 Côte d'Ivoire

Quarters

Netherlands 2 3 Brazil
    France 1 2 England
    Argentina 0 1 Germany
    Italy 0 2 Spain

Semis

England 0 1 Brazil
    Germany 0 2 Spain

Final

Brazil 2 3 Spain

3rd Place

England 1 1 Germany
    (Germany win on penalties :D)

Opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Spain.

Best team we've seen since France '98.

Best midfield and best strke force.

We'll remember this team in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Spain, Argentina, or.. USA. I honestly believe USA can stir it up at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Spain weren't great in the EUROs they were just better than everyone else, the quality on show in that tournament was much lower than they can expect from the 2nd round on in the WC. Turkey made it to the semis despite being rubbish and Holland, Portugal, Serbia and the other European teams have all improved since then. I just can't see them winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

rossie1977 wrote: »
    nobody is saying spain are a bad team but history is not on their side, yes they were great 2 years ago when everyone was on the top of their game then, compare the dutch 1988 with the one that went to the WC in 1990, striking similiaries, that dutch team looked unbeatable in 88 and looked very ordinary in italy despite the same players for the most part

imo spain won't win the WC because:

1.many of their stars are not fit coming into this tournament
    2.the best spain have ever done in the world cup is semi finals
    3.four years ago they had villa, torres, alonso, xavi, iniesta, casillas, puyol, fabregas, ramos; so nine of the same starters as this year and they went out once again tamely in round 2
    4. no european team has ever won the WC outside europe
    5. the confederations cup showed major flaws in the spanish side

2 and 3 here dont stand up as reasons why Spain won't win. Are you honestly holding up the fact that Spain havent passed the semis before as evidence to suggest they wont this time..If that were the case would we ever see any more different winners of the world cup or would the same few teams who have won it in the past just win it?

And as for reason 3, this is a reason you are using against them however I would use it as a major positive for Spain, they have been playing with almost the same starting 11 for years now and they have done amazingly well. It was not this teams failures in the past per se. You can hardly tell me that Fabregas was a major player for Spain in the last world cup for example. Granted alot of the others were but they have excelled since then, no real reason to suggest they will all of a sudden cease to perform well together as a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Spain, whilst possessing a savage squad are perennial bottlers on the big-stage. Granted they won a EC but that was one of the worst EC in memory. Europe's normal top-dogs in France and Italy were woeful and the hype machine England didnt even make it. An average Germany side were the only side to offer any resistance - "typical Germans". Spain bottled it at last year's CFC and cannot be trusted at this the biggest stage of all. The pressure will be too much for them as favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Granted they won a EC but that was one of the worst EC in memory.
    The last World Cup was said to be the one of the poorest ever, same in 2002, same for the Euros in 2004.

Looking at the other favourites for South Africa, Brazil, this trend is surely set to continue, which can only work in Spain's favour.

Don't even get me started on the likes of Maradona, Domenech or the seriously over the hill Italian squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Spain, whilst possessing a savage squad are perennial bottlers on the big-stage. Granted they won a EC but that was one of the worst EC in memory. Europe's normal top-dogs in France and Italy were woeful and the hype machine England didnt even make it. An average Germany side were the only side to offer any resistance - "typical Germans". Spain bottled it at last year's CFC and cannot be trusted at this the biggest stage of all. The pressure will be too much for them as favourites.

It's a massive stretch to say they "bottled it at last year's CFC". That would imply there was huge pressure involved. There wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

KerranJast wrote: »
    England have a good shout.

- Favourable weather
    - Top coach
    - Several top class players - Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, A. Cole - & plenty of experience.
    - Easy "half" of the draw. They avoid Brazil & Spain until the semis. Probable 2nd round match against Germany and quarter final against France, both of which are eminently beatable.
    - English teams rarely capitulate when they're expected to buckle. Exits from last 3 tournaments were unlucky.

England do have a decent chance, but since when did English teams like playing in the heat?!! The weather is certainly not in their favour.

Spain have the best squad for sure but that's no guarantee of success. Any one of England, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Holland, Germany or Italy could feasibly win it with a bit of luck. I'd go for Spain though not with any great confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

aidan24326 wrote: »
    England do have a decent chance, but since when did English teams like playing in the heat?!! The weather is certainly not in their favour.

It's Winter in South Africa now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It is winter in South Africa. There is no extreme temperatures to the best of my knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Osu wrote: »
    It's Winter in South Africa now.
    JPA wrote: »
    It is winter in South Africa. There is no extreme temperatures to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah, I checked that and you're right. Temperatures there at the moment are in the region of 18-21C, so nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

That was a fairly decent EC, and they played terrific football over the last 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yeah, I checked that and you're right. Temperatures there at the moment are in the region of 18-21C, so nothing to worry about.

Indeed, some areas of the country get quite cool, if not cold, after sunset.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liam O wrote: »
    Spain weren't great in the EUROs they were just better than everyone else, the quality on show in that tournament was much lower than they can expect from the 2nd round on in the WC. Turkey made it to the semis despite being rubbish and Holland, Portugal, Serbia and the other European teams have all improved since then. I just can't see them winning it.

You reckon Portugal have improved since then? On what grounds? They had a dire qualifying campaign and barely scraped into second place in a fairly straightforward group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Spain because they won the EC for Puerta and they'll do the same at the WC for Jarque.

soccer_euro_2008_spain_ital_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It's England's year .

Destiny.

FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Lassana Diarra ruled out due to intestine injury

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0522/france.html

Delighted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stuck a few quid on the Ivory Coast and Cameroon, as well as Drogba as top scorer. I think he might secure the boot against North Korea alone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Lassana Diarra ruled out due to intestine injury

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0522/france.html

Delighted.

I wonder if Vieira will get a call-up to replace him

Advertisement