Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Tab

• 17-05-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Am i the only one that writes music in Power Tab?
    I know a lot of people use power tab just to learn songs, and play them back etc but ive used it for a lot of music writing.
    Yeah the MIDI sounds are ****e but i can share my ideas with my buddy and we write stuff etc etc. I have about 6 full songs written

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I write loads of stuff power tab. Full songs. But also just ideas and stuff. I think if I look back over stuff I have stored from the last few years there are probably around a hundred rock riffs!

As you say good for storing stuff when you haven't got a guitar handy and also over the long term. And handy for sharing ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I looked at Power Tab briefly a few years ago before I discovered Guitar Pro and there is no comparison. Guitar Pro is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Yeah I've had guitar pro but power tab is free...

I've hundreds of riffs and ideas that I share with my friend.

H1tmonlii wrote: »
    Yeah I've had guitar pro but power tab is free...
    Just because it's free doesn't mean it's better. I could be wrong but the last time I checked Power Tab didn't provide MIDI export, WAV export, PDF export, chord finder, tuner, scale display on both piano keyboard and guitar neck, much better sound quality or looping with incremental or fixed speed increase.
    If anything I believe Guitar Pro is quite under-priced for what it offers!

Malice_ wrote: »
    Just because it's free doesn't mean it's better. I could be wrong but the last time I checked Power Tab didn't provide MIDI export, WAV export, PDF export, chord finder, tuner, scale display on both piano keyboard and guitar neck, much better sound quality or looping with incremental or fixed speed increase.
    If anything I believe Guitar Pro is quite under-priced for what it offers!

Guitar Pro is more functional, but Powertab is easier to use for the two main functions: learning songs and storing ideas. Being able to see all the staffs at once is handy and I don't really need good sound quality. Just don't see any reason to pay for what I use it for.

• Advertisement

Guitar Pro is more functional, but Powertab is easier to use for the two main functions: learning songs and storing ideas. Being able to see all the staffs at once is handy and I don't really need good sound quality. Just don't see any reason to pay for what I use it for.
    I doubt it's easier to learn songs with if it doesn't allow you to loop sections with optional speed increases. I find that indispensable. As for storing ideas, what if you want to transfer your idea to a sequencer or some other program. Does Power Tab provide MIDI export?

You can export to a midi file or notepad.

Like I said, its not something I need to do, but obviously guitar pro provides the better sound if you need to do that.

The power-tab.net library is amazing and the songs are generally very accurate, although my only experience of guitar pro tabs is with ultimate-guitar.com, which isn't as comprehensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Guitar pro 6 is the business and makes your tabs look exactly like a professional copy like in a magazine if you want it.
    You can see all staffs at once if you want as well and is fairly comprehensive in its editing abilities. Its not perfect but its miles better than power tab.
    It also has a real sound engine which means it makes proper music noises instead of plinky plonky midi sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

i used the trial for Guitar Pro, but i still use powertab. It does what i need it to do. I dont need perfect sound quality, its not good, but its not horrible. I can still share my ideas with my bandmates quickly because of the small size of the MIDI files.

I dont think ill use guitar pro unless i get a mac or Powertab breaks :(

Being able to see all the staffs at once is handy
    I forgot to ask about this previously, are you saying that you can't see all the staffs in Guitar Pro?

• Advertisement
Advertisement