Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mickey Ballack to miss World Cup.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

World Cup won't miss Michael Ballack I'd suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Feel sorry for the lad, was a scummy tackle from Boetang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

gutted for him. doesnt deserve that

your man shoulda been sent off, horrific challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He will be missed Mike. Germany lost their captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its a huge blow to Germany's chances, not just a great midfielder but an inspirational leader as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bad tackle.

Off topic but when did footballers stop wearing old school shin guards, the ones that had the ankle protectors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

mike65 wrote: »
    Typical clueless comment, Ballack is always among Germany's top performers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Bad tackle.

Off topic but when did footballers stop wearing old school shin guards, the ones that had the ankle protectors?

Never really think they took hold for professionals tbh, most people playing amateur football seemed to have them but the top professionals always seemed to stick with the ones with no strapping at all and rather use tape around the socks to hold them in place.

Either that or I've blanked out the period where they wore 'em. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

All the more reason for Bastien Schweinsteiger to shine in this World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Never really think they took hold for professionals tbh, most people playing amateur football seemed to have them but the top professionals always seemed to stick with the ones with no strapping at all and rather use tape around the socks to hold them in place.

Either that or I've blanked out the period where they wore 'em. :o
    You are probably right about them never taking off. They certainly would have saved a lot of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bad luck for Ballack, I guess this would have been his last WC.

You are probably right about them never taking off. They certainly would have saved a lot of pain.

Always remember whenever I did wear them they could slip out of place after some challenges easily enough with the strap that went under your foot, and if it was too uncomfortable to play with that meant taking off boot, sock and all to get the damn thing back on properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boetang will be going to the wc with Ghana and their first match is against Germany

ill leave the the rest to the conspiracy theorist :)

Headshot wrote: »
    Boetang will be going to the wc with Ghana and their first match is against Germany

ill leave the the rest to the conspiracy theorist :)

Wonder will he do the same to his brother Jerome if he gets starting for Germany ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I question the power of karma when consistently violent John Terry makes it to WC whereas nice but dull Ballack misses out, it's not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lukker- wrote: »

I didn't say he mightn't play well, I just said the World Cup might not miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hard luck to the guy and all and his leadership will be missed but he has been a bit of a passanger for the last few years and it could be a blessing in disguise for the Germans. Plenty of young talent in midfield to fill the void, the likes of Özil, Träsch, Kroos and Schweinsteiger have more to offer then Ballack IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How fitting. Kevin "Prince" Boateng's history in German football is that of a full-of-himself. No surprise here. It's just his little revenge for having been found out in Germany and being told "good fkn riddance".
    This guy really thinks he is gods gift to football and everything. He would come onto the pitch as a sub after a lengthy spell of absence over attitude problems and his first contact would be some mad backheeler cos everthing else is beneth him. Luckily his brother isn't like that and fortunately these things usually come back to bite you one day.
    I usually don't despise anyone - ever - but for this guy I make an exception and that goes back years and has nothing to do with this foul. Just very fitting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

nuxxx wrote: »
    gutted for him. doesnt deserve that

your man shoulda been sent off, horrific challenge

To be fair Ballack should have been sent off himself after raising his hands earlier and slapping Boteang. If the ref had implemented the rules Ballack would still be going to the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's a big blow to Germany's chances. Unlucky, Ballack :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There was a journalist from Sports Bild on SSN earlier saying the german papers were saying Boateng did it on purpose due to Ghana-Germany in the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Roaster wrote: »
    To be fair Ballack should have been sent off himself after raising his hands earlier and slapping Boteang. If the ref had implemented the rules Ballack would still be going to the World Cup.

Yep, I completely agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Melion wrote: »
    There was a journalist from Sports Bild on SSN earlier saying the german papers were saying Boateng did it on purpose due to Ghana-Germany in the WC.

I don't think he would go that far. German journo's are just disappointed their captain will miss the World Cup, add in the fact that many of them probably hate Kevin Prince too and there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Very unlucky for Ballack. His last big show all at the expense of a nothing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

you live by the sword you die by the sword

Mod Hat On:
    Keep the personal abuse out of the posts please, I don't want to have to spend the day infracting people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Melion wrote: »

You can use the term journalist very loosely when talking about the Bild, makes the Sun look like the Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

I just said the World Cup might not miss him.
    Which is it? You seem to be backtracking in your second post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

While Ballack has been declining in playing style over the last few years his importance to Germany has been constant. Inspirational leader that Germany will sorely miss. Not nice to see any player miss out on the greatest stage of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gutted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I question the power of karma when consistently violent John Terry makes it to WC whereas nice but dull Ballack misses out, it's not fair.

Yeah, heard a story or two about him being an ass and he does drive a white Ferrari but he always seemed like a decent enough bloke.

Also, he is cursed by the footballing gods but this is not the worst year by far.

2001/2002 Ballack finished second in the Bundesliga to Munich (lost only on the last day of the season IIRC), runner-up in the German cup to Schalke, runner-up to Madrid in the Champions league final, and then runner up to Brazil in the world cup final.

Surely to god this is a record for a player. The silver medal quadruple!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

unlucky Ballack.

i don't particularly like him, but it sucks to miss the World Cup as a result of a terrible challenge from an opposition player.

a loss to Germany, but I'm going to say that i think people will be surprised at how well Germany will cope without him. they've enough quality to cover; and it's not like he's been setting the world alight over the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Any striker would be proud of his goal scoring record at international level.

42 goals in 98 apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am convinced that the German team will be a better team without him. He hasn't played a lot in the last year for the national team, and the better performances have usually been the ones without him on the field.

I think with Kroos, Mueller, Schweinsteiger, Marin, Oezil, Trochowski they have enough power and creativity in their midfield to compensate for Ballack.

It's the time for the young talents to shine, and I believe they will. There is some very decent talent in the German squad, and a lot of people especially outside of Germany won't be knowing how good some of them really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DubDani wrote: »
    I am convinced that the German team will be a better team without him. He hasn't played a lot in the last year for the national team, and the better performances have usually been the ones without him on the field.

I think with Kroos, Mueller, Schweinsteiger, Marin, Oezil, Trochowski they have enough power and creativity in their midfield to compensate for Ballack.

It's the time for the young talents to shine, and I believe they will. There is some very decent talent in the German squad, and a lot of people especially outside of Germany won't be knowing how good some of them really are.
    Alright I'll play along. Tell me about those games he missed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Pretty crap for Ballack. It was a horrible challenge that definitely had intent behind it. Still felt bad for that guy after his penalty miss the way he had to be picked off the ground but now meh, it's all about karma.

Right I'm off to switch my "Archie Credits" away from Germany to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Just watched the tackle there, it was nearly identical to the one Ribery got a Red and a 3 match ban for, shocking.

Just got the two clips side by side there, and it's even worse

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkEhKNytVkNE&start1=39&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvvUIoHGJl4U&start2=18&authorName=Grey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Absolutely sickened for the chap, I was actually at the match and from the other end of the ground I could tell it was a terrible challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I think its a massive loss for Germany,I think Schweinsteiger and Marin and co have an even bigger job to do now.Hard to replace someone like Ballack.

interestingly,Serbia's odds to win the group have dropped from 4/1 to 18/5 best odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Huge loss for Germany, he was the main man in that midfield, will be interesting to see how they cope without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I love the irony of this thread. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Gutted for Ballack, doesn't deserve to be out . Big loss for Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nay
    Lukker- wrote: »

Yay.

I saw Ballack's hand in the face differently, in my view Boetang did the exact same thing to him about 3 seconds before that in the same tangle.

Advertisement