Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Advice

Options
  • 17-05-2010 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to move house next couple of weeks, I live with my partner and son, we don't receive rent allowance as my partner is on a post-grad research programme (with her college) and receives 14,000e per annum, I receive the Jobseekers allowance at reduced rate.

I was wondering if we would be eligible for the rent allowance?

I have the RA forms and I know I have to go to my local CWO, just wondering what the process is in finding a place that accepts RA. I mean do I view a property, then bring the RA form with me and ask them (landlord/agent) to fill it out there and then if I like the property? How long will it take to get a decision from the CWO?

Sorry if my post is all over the place!!!

Please excuse
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

john-joe wrote: »
    Hi, looking to move house next couple of weeks, I live with my partner and son, we don't receive rent allowance as my partner is on a post-grad research programme (with her college) and receives 14,000e per annum, I receive the Jobseekers allowance at reduced rate.

I was wondering if we would be eligible for the rent allowance?

Rent Supplement was initiated to help pay rent for folks whose circumstances have changed since they signed their rental agreement.

For instance, if you signed a lease somewhere and then 3 months later lost your job then Rent Allowance should help you out. I don't know how it works if your partner is getting paid though as people in full time education are usually ruled out.

That you're moving house and looking for Rent Supplement might be even more of a no-no as this is not what RS was intended for.

However, because your income is low I'm sure your LA can do something for you.

Best of luck with it anyway.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Rent Supplement was initiated to help pay rent for folks whose circumstances have changed since they signed their rental agreement.

For instance, if you signed a lease somewhere and then 3 months later lost your job then Rent Allowance should help you out. I don't know how it works if your partner is getting paid though as people in full time education are usually ruled out.

That you're moving house and looking for Rent Supplement might be even more of a no-no as this is not what RS was intended for.

However, because your income is low I'm sure your LA can do something for you.

Best of luck with it anyway.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

john-joe wrote: »
    Thanks

Threshold might also be able to help mate - www.threshold.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

as your on JSA and your partner earns so little you shouldnt have a problem with RA find out where you community officer sits and go visit them...from my experience you need to go view a place that is rent allowance acceptable take the form with you and if you take the place get the agent/landlord to fill in form bring it back to community welfare officer they will arrange to come to the new place to check it out see if its suitable and should sign off on it
    however there is a threshold of how much you can rent a place for i know in dublin if you are renting with your partner and have a child then its 930 a month and no more and the RA give you about 700 and you add rest to it realistically it is very hard to get a decent 2 bed for that amount in dublin...if however your moving elsewhere then the threshold is less but quality of places are so much better so go to the welfare officer and ask and best of luck with it

edellc wrote: »
    as your on JSA and your partner earns so little you shouldnt have a problem with RA find out where you community officer sits and go visit them...from my experience you need to go view a place that is rent allowance acceptable take the form with you and if you take the place get the agent/landlord to fill in form bring it back to community welfare officer they will arrange to come to the new place to check it out see if its suitable and should sign off on it
    however there is a threshold of how much you can rent a place for i know in dublin if you are renting with your partner and have a child then its 930 a month and no more and the RA give you about 700 and you add rest to it realistically it is very hard to get a decent 2 bed for that amount in dublin...if however your moving elsewhere then the threshold is less but quality of places are so much better so go to the welfare officer and ask and best of luck with it

Thanks for that!

Just wondering, if I go find a place that accepts RA (which I have) and get them to sign the form (which I will) I will have to pay a deposit and rent in advance in order to get the place? is that correct?

I would have the cash for deposit & rent in advance as I would use my deposit from last address, just wondering how long do the CWO take to come and view the place and sign off???

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

as you have never received a deposit from SW before ask you community officer if it is possible to get one...i had to move recently and ended up giving deposit and months rent - community officer wasnt happy that i gave deposit without her checking place but your stuck if you want it you have to so she ended up giving me a portion of my deposit back as i had to get a loan for it but if you pay it yourself you wont get anything off them so its down to you what you want to tell them
    as for the approval for RA from welfare officer when i put down deposit and got keys say i did this on a monday she was out to me on the thursday and the rent allowance was in place about a week later so it was all very quick i think it just depends on how busy the area you are moving to is...but before you do anything find out where the local office is and go see them they usually sit from 10am until midday and its best to go early as the q's are long they dont sit on a wednesday and friday is emergency only and what your looking for is not an emergency...make sure you know what the limit is for max rent that you can pay

unamused wrote: »
    as you have never received a deposit from SW before ask you community officer if it is possible to get one...i had to move recently and ended up giving deposit and months rent - community officer wasnt happy that i gave deposit without her checking place but your stuck if you want it you have to so she ended up giving me a portion of my deposit back as i had to get a loan for it but if you pay it yourself you wont get anything off them so its down to you what you want to tell them
    as for the approval for RA from welfare officer when i put down deposit and got keys say i did this on a monday she was out to me on the thursday and the rent allowance was in place about a week later so it was all very quick i think it just depends on how busy the area you are moving to is...but before you do anything find out where the local office is and go see them they usually sit from 10am until midday and its best to go early as the q's are long they dont sit on a wednesday and friday is emergency only and what your looking for is not an emergency...make sure you know what the limit is for max rent that you can pay

Thanks, will go see her Thursday morning, any idea what questions she will ask or what documents I will need??

Appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

community officer usually needs proof of your earnings ie your pps and a payslip from your partner also try bring print outs of places you are looking at to rent...but best thing is to explain your situation they will want to know why you are moving and will advise you make sure you get your deposit back (easier said than done some times :-) ) also ask about your partners wage and will it effect your chances of RA but other than that they should tell you what you need...best of luck with it all and hope it works out for you :)

unamused wrote: »
    community officer usually needs proof of your earnings ie your pps and a payslip from your partner also try bring print outs of places you are looking at to rent...but best thing is to explain your situation they will want to know why you are moving and will advise you make sure you get your deposit back (easier said than done some times :-) ) also ask about your partners wage and will it effect your chances of RA but other than that they should tell you what you need...best of luck with it all and hope it works out for you :)

Thank you, I don't depend to be on it for a long time :)

Advertisement