Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camelback/water bladders

• 17-05-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hey lads im looking for a bit of help here,

Im ex 5th batt and currently a garda (dont hold it against me) but its been a long while since i was in and i've a question for ye now.

Is the use of water bladders allowed in DF now?

The reason im asking is this im on the Public order unit and we carry alot of kit for a long time and de-hydrate quickly, we are provided with a water carrier and a decent one too a sigg 1 liter metal bottle but its mainly for getting the remnants of fire off the suit rather than hydrating and its only a litre not nearly enough for a 4-18 hour stint. Im looking at submitting a study in favour of a water bladder to be carried under the body armour (never be allowed on top of it dont ask) but would like to know if DF already carry bladders and if so what type and if any of ye use them or buy your selves what do you use.

thanks for any replies and any help offered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They are issued to the PDF IIRC. And There is actually a carrier integrated into the new assault vest.

Exceedingly helpful things...I use them working gigs and such all the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can't think of a single cambelback which is designed to be worn under armour.

Not least, as the water is drunk, you'd need to constantly be re-adjusting the armour to fit. If you can't get approval to wear a black one over the armour, I think you're just down to either designating a waterboy, or wearng the old-fashioned canteens. (I'm a little old-fashioned, I wear a canteen and leave the camelback in the truck)

US Army camelbacks are worn over the armour. (You even start seeing cutouts in APC seats for them). We once were instructed in OCS to wear them under our BDU blouses (no armour) but (a) it looked absolutely ridiculous, and (b) we ended up with the worst cases of friction rash you ever did see.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

I can't think of a single cambelback which is designed to be worn under armour.

Not least, as the water is drunk, you'd need to constantly be re-adjusting the armour to fit. If you can't get approval to wear a black one over the armour, I think you're just down to either designating a waterboy, or wearng the old-fashioned canteens. (I'm a little old-fashioned, I wear a canteen and leave the camelback in the truck)

US Army camelbacks are worn over the armour. (You even start seeing cutouts in APC seats for them). We once were instructed in OCS to wear them under our BDU blouses (no armour) but (a) it looked absolutely ridiculous, and (b) we ended up with the worst cases of friction rash you ever did see.

NTM

thanks for the info lads

Our armour is merely strapped around the body and its only for blunt force (bricks etc being thrown at you) its not bullet proof or flexible its almost straight across the body at the front and back so its definitely possible in fact i wear it this way:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

I use one a lot (not in my line of work) when mountainbiking and would think it wouldn't be very good under armour at all. Even on a 1-2 hour spin I find the water in my camelback gets very warm from my body heat and isn't pleasant to drink at all. The only cold bit is the amount that's held in the tube leading from the bladder to the drinking end. That bladder is in a backpack on my back with nothing else over it so it would probably boil if under armour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

coach23 wrote: »
    thanks for the info lads

Our armour is merely strapped around the body and its only for blunt force (bricks etc being thrown at you) its not bullet proof or flexible its almost straight across the body at the front and back so its definitely possible in fact i wear it this way:)

Would there not be times in your work where you have to refill the water? Taking off the PPE is not congruent to your body staying in good condition.

There are quite strong ones out there which you will be able to wear over your PPE if you got permission. They would break for a sharp object, but would be perfectly OK for blunt objects and glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

Would there not be times in your work where you have to refill the water? Taking off the PPE is not congruent to your body staying in good condition.

There are quite strong ones out there which you will be able to wear over your PPE if you got permission. They would break for a sharp object, but would be perfectly OK for blunt objects and glass.

not really cant come off the line for water unfortunately the lads just wont hold the riot until you come back all refreshed:D and even when off the line we're not always near a water source or allowed hit the shop having a ready supply is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

would the montara or the shredbak be any good for this ? be interested to see

Advertisement