Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crumbling under pressure

• 17-05-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

So I've been driving/learning for three months. I have been very lucky in that I've taken to it really well and am flying along. My ADI is very happy with my progress, as am I.

However, I realized yesterday that I crumble under pressure! Not in the sense of there being busy traffic or other cars waiting for me to do my manouvers, that I'm absolutely fine with. But it's if people are watching me that I seem to fall apart. I was doing a turnabout outside my mam's house after visiting yesterday and there were loads of family friends and neighbours about the place and I just fell apart. I cut out about 5 times during the turnabout - I never ever cut out doing this manouver. Acutally, my car very rarley cuts out on me and if it does, I usually recover immediately. The only thing different was that I was very aware of people watching me. This does not bode well for my test.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and how have they overcome it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Everyone has had or will have this happen.

It is normal, if you cut out, just start your engine and get on with it.

On your test the tester will be more interested in how you react after the car cuts out. So if it happens just start your car and get on with it.

Note: just make sure the way is clear before you move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

If the pressure comes from thinking "oohhh they are all watching me, have to do this perfect" or something along them lines or just from them watching.

Just view them as a pedestrian, not a family member or friend, that way you are aware of their presence but not put off by it.

Also if you felt they were watching you & it made you nervous, remember they aren't staring at you to pick faults, they ent gonna whip out score boards with marks outta ten, they were more than likely just there on looking in admiration for you to be driving. My OH's family were like that when I started driving, they'd just stand staring at me all proud to see me behind the wheel!

Advertisement