Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carry-On bag for camera and LARGE 17" laptop?

• 17-05-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    looking for any recommendations or suggstions for a carry on bag for a long distace relocation to the southern hemisphere.
    I have an XPS M1730 17" laptop that i will be bringing along with Nikon D3 and lenses, and I would like to combine the two into one carry on sized bag / case if possible.
    I hve seen a few thinktank cases and kata wheely bags but the only hurdle is the rediculous size of the XPS which may not fit the laptop sleeve area of these bags.
    Anyone any suggestions? Have tried googling larger alternatives but not having much luck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

my suggestion would be a regular rolly hardside carryon and lots of foam.

It's what I did when I moved to Ireland. (Actually I didn't even use foam, I used wooly jumpers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

not sure if its still being made .... crumpler champ XL .... has a section suitable for a 17" laptop and plenty of room for camera gear/other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was looking for something similar in a Crumpler store a few months back. An XPS sized machine won't fit, they are designed for Macbooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Thanks for all the suggestions, indeed most bags that state 17" are seemingy only designed for MacBooks. Will have to keep on looking an hopefully find something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I brought out all my stuff in one of these.

Squeezed in an XPS sized machine, netbook, 2 camera bodies, a 70-200, midsized lens and two small lenses, flash, 2 small HDD's plus other bits and pieces. No problems taking it as carry-on on any of the flights.

BUT, once I reached Australia I found it wasn't the best for day-to-day use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Not ideal but I use this for my "17 Dell Inspiron 1720.

00009843.jpg

The laptop doesnt fit inside the laptop pouch ( as shown here) but it does fit in the pocket, and seems adequetly protected. Loads of room

I do have the XPS backpack for the laptop so might see can I squeeze in the D3 an other bits and pieces and lenses too, I looked at that Nat. Geo. Bag and it seems to have a good amount of space so might be in the running. I'd prefere one of the Thinktank cases or Pelican as they're hard as nails but with no facility to try before I buy it's a bit of a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

majiktripp wrote: »
    I do have the XPS backpack for the laptop so might see can I squeeze in the D3 an other bits and pieces and lenses too, I looked at that Nat. Geo. Bag and it seems to have a good amount of space so might be in the running. I'd prefere one of the Thinktank cases or Pelican as they're hard as nails but with no facility to try before I buy it's a bit of a gamble.

I'd been using my alienware backpack up until recently. I could fit/cram my 17" m9750 (roughly same size as the xps 1730?) d300 and a few lens. Weighed a tonne,though.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i use this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-CompuTrekker-Plus-Backpack-Laptop/dp/B0007W1E4W/

and it took my old HP 17" laptop and is fine for all airlines i've carried it on

only thing you'll find is that with a laptop and a few lenses & bodies in it, it's very easy to go over the 10KG limit that so many airlines have

31R67PYDN9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

majiktripp wrote: »
    I'd prefere one of the Thinktank cases or Pelican as they're hard as nails but with no facility to try before I buy it's a bit of a gamble.

The Peli case would be ideal but most airlines now are not too happy about them as carry on. More to do with the weight than size as they are within IATA guidelines.

I now use a Tamrac Cyberpack but with a 15" laptop or netbook. It does however take two D3's, a 24-70 and a 300mm plus a 1.7tc and 50mm lens.

Not sure if the next one up, the Cyberpack 8, will take a 17" XPS monster

• Advertisement

Have spotted this option :
    Naneu Carry On Bag
    It looks the business alright, the rolling wheel option is nice too. Again its the bloody dimensions of the XPS that have me worried...

I'll try and see what I can cram in to the XPS backpack I have at home tomorrow, I need to fit:

D3 + 24-120 lense
    D3 Charger
    70-200 lense
    SB600
    2.5" Portable Hard Drive(s)
    Netbook + Charger
    iPod & Associated chargers.
    &
    XPS + Power Brick.

Basically all the expensive stuff I don't want to throw into checked baggage on the airline. I'd also totally forgotten about the weight of the carry on cases, I was merely concentrating on the size dimensions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have this bag for such things. It should fit up to a 17" Macbook. (My 15" has plenty of extra space.) I can fit craploads of stuff in here. This bag is insanely heavy when full... but I've never been given any hassle about taking it on board with me. If you're tall.. the bottoms of the pads on the shoulder straps will cut into your pecs after a while.. but the straps are very adjustable, and with the cross-chest strap, and the round-the-waist strap, and the adjustments, you can spread the weight across your body fairly well.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-NG-Explorer-Backpack/dp/B000FJ4ICW

Here's a smaller version.. probably not enough room in it for a 17" computer.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-NG-5162-Explorer/dp/B000FJ2OSM

Advertisement