Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And here we go......

Options
  • 17-05-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Had to happen sooner or later!

Dropped in my FCA1 forms today for shotgun and rifle. Usual stuff came up for the shotgun (gun dealer certified as plugged to 3 rounds, etc.) However, when it came to the rifle, things started to go pear shaped.

Rifle itself is a bog standard ruger 10/22, .22LR calibre. Comes factory with a 10 round magazine (as we all know). Now, the guards in my local station were quiteperplexed by the new law or so it seemed, and they then proceeded to tell me that not only was my shotgun to be restricted to 3 rounds (2 in mag 1 in chamber), but so was the rifle in order to be classed as unrestricted.

Now, to the best of my knowledge from many, many hours poring through this section of boards, this is NOT the case. Exact words were that "under the new 2008 laws" the rifle would be restricted if it held over 3 rounds. Is this utter BS or what?

Advice welcome dudes! Knew this sh*t had to start at some point; there was me thinking it would be when I applied for the .223 :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Your points of reference are SI 21/2008 and SI 337/2009 which declares what firearms are unrestricted (everything else being restricted).

In short, any .22 rifle with a magazine capacity of greater than ten rounds is restricted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1 to what rrpc said. Just a few links for your info.

Section 4(2)(C)(II) of SI 21/2008. ( SI 337/2009 )

single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds

This renders the rifle unrestricted.

My personal advice. Go to the website(s) above, print off a copy and have the number of the FPU (Firearms Policy Unit) to hand. Show him (FO) the SI(s) that states your rifle is unrestricted and if he still argues the point ring the FPU in his presence and have them explain it to him.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Thanks guys, really! Time to fight the madness :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The law says your rifle, as it stands (unmodified by you), is unrestricted. Its their mistake to classify as restricted. Just go in with paperwork, printed copies of the SI(s), not word of mouth.

Harder to refute black and white.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I had the same thing with my local guards for my 10 22. I just calmly explained to them that they were mistaken and pointed out the relevant information. I then got a letter from my RFD to state there was a ten round magazine in the rifle and that was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nail

Jose

Just been through all that and out the other side with my 10/22 licence after many months. FPU's assistance was required to clear up the confusion in the local station, regarding a capacity cert for the 10/22 due to it being semi-auto.

If you want to save time and the to and fro hassle, my advice is to get a capacity cert from your firearms dealer stating that the 10/22 takes a original factory 10 round magazine. This is what I was advised to do and did in order clear up confusion and get my licence.

Regards

nail wrote: »
    Jose

Just been through all that and out the other side with my 10/22 licence after many months. FPU's assistance was required to clear up the confusion in the local station, regarding a capacity cert for the 10/22 due to it being semi-auto.

If you want to save time and the to and fro hassle, my advice is to get a capacity cert from your firearms dealer stating that the 10/22 takes a original factory 10 round magazine. This is what I was advised to do and did in order clear up confusion and get my licence.

Regards

Will do that. Might as well grab it when I'm in getting my lethal pump-action death cannon plugged up as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Jose,
    Point of fact - they are wrong.

I just got my license for a 10/22 about a week ago. Nothing on the card about restricted.

Go back, be polite, and make your case.

Brief update: in with the RFD today. Letters etc. all sorted out. Now time to hit the barracks with the facts! ;)

Advertisement