Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety on site and home

• 17-05-2010 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to write a thread on something that is commonly put on the back of ones mind (and this forum) while working on the home.

I have a broken ankle , broken fingers and cracked ribs after a Scaffold fall last week. A face with 2 black eyes and a very painful neck. all my toes that I can see are purple with bruises .
    Im in a bad state. And am unable to work for 2 months.

Basically the friend who built the scaffold used a rotten plank which broke clean in half . Dropping me into the cross bar then head first to to ground.

If I had have worn my STEEL TOE boots in stead of trainers and inspected the scaffold before I used it to repair the roof.

I would not be in a leg cast now.

Im sure the high boots would have offered more support in the fall and protected my now black toes.

I was lucky not to be in a coffin after that fall.

Please consider using the proper PPE and safe inspected ladders, scaffolds and tools.

I wish I had not been so ignorant to the hazards on site.:(

It CAN happen to you. becareful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

sounds nasty man.

i think people get too relaxed around safety rules when they get home. me included. i had a narow escape mself using a stool to climb intot he attic one day.

the quick jobs always end up being a bigger rdeal due to injury.

this is a good idea.

Because i have worked on site i have seen a few things and also have gathered a few safety items.

the top ones ( that are easily come by and not expensive)

Goggles

ear plugs ( ear muff last longer but more expensive)

gloves with rubber palm ( these even slighlty cushion a blow from a miss aimed hammer)

boots ( its mandatory on site you need steel toes but even at home boots will protect your feet better than trainers. i have boots with steel toe and sole. saved my feet a good few times)

And a medium first aid kit. ( accidents are inevitable. Dont be a macho clean and dress the wound. no point letting infection set in.)

also hi viz vest is handy. keep it in the back of the car. changing a tire etc etc could save your life. ( handy if you are into cycling or walking to0)

and remeber if you are doing a job. tidy as you go as you will be suprised how accidents happen whether tripping over debris or cutting through a power cable that had something over it.

i will add other bits if i think of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I was lucky not to be in a coffin after that fall.

you're extremely lucky to escape with those injuries, only consilation
    it could have been a lot worse:eek:

look after yourself

thanks for starting this thread, in fact delly might make it a sticky!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Harness also to be considered....Very lucky lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Jesus ur lucky to alive after that! Noting worse than working on a site with a bunch of animals who wont tidy up as they go along!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yeah, we'll make this a sticky for a little while to highlight such a nasty event. get well soon gsxr1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Cheers lads.

Its better to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Its been a big wake up call for myself. I will be taking no chances in future.

Its just not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

get well soon lad
    nearly got killed myself
    falling trusses ,landed on me head
    no helmet ,knocked me clean out ,lucky to be alive
    wear your helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Hope you make a speedy recovery OP.

I myself know the feeling of a few close calls, it may seem a little OTT to do all the inspections and wear all the PPE gear, but it's not provided and not insisted upon for no reason. Most accidents happen on site due to human error - not wearing PPE, not inspecting a ladder/scaffold before using, not tracing power cables, removing guards etc.

I've had a few falls, debris lodged in the eye, a few cuts, and more than a few times I'm glad I wore safety boots. Never anything serious, but still reported them incase they turned out serious.

Make sure your employer provides you with PPE free of charge and replaces it when necessary. Don't think twice about reporting something to the safety officer on site if you've anything to highlight. If you think it's unsafe don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I fell off the roof of a house i was tiling a few years a go.

Its a bad idea to be putting on ridge tiles when you are wearing a wet suit and the roof tiles are wet.

Luckily im made of 73% brass, 27% good luck, i survived. Many have not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Today i came the closest to a serious injury and perhaps death ive ever come due to complacency and rushing.

I was using a hycon hydraulic breaker, as i was checking it that it was working before i handed it over to someone to use, i turned it on at the power pack and as i lifted the hammer the point fell out of it.

I turned it upside down and in my haste and stupidity put the point back in without turning it off, as i was attempting to fix the point in i tilted it toward me therefore engaging the trigger off the ground and firing the hammer action - the point was not fixed and darted past my head.

I work with potentially dangerous tools and machinery all day every day, i would consider myself a very sensible person, but it only takes one moment of complacency

I broke a golden rule, i was very very lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I often wonder how many accidents happen with the power tools such as angle grinders, air compressors etc that can now be bought cheaply.

It's common enough to see so called professionals using angle grinders without any PPE, but many DIYers would be totally unaware of the dangers involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Indeed, I doubt many DIYers would be familiar with the details of how to mount an abrasive wheel etc! Electric chainsaws, power mitre saws and circular saws in general can be lethal for the inexperienced especially where kickback is concerned. Remember the golden rule- if a method of completing work or a task doesn't feel safe don't do it and never be afraid to ask for a helping hand of some advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am fairly careful, I'll even wear ear defenders mowing the lawn, not because of how loud it is, but the duration. Listening to that for 3/4 hours per week over about 5/6 months of the year.

I find that I usually start making silly mistakes near the end of a job. Usually after spending a few hours on a job, you are getting near the end and you are determined to finish it because there is so little to be done. But by this time you are tired and more prone to making a mistake.

Be aware of your fatigue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Wow, You got a good banging about. You are lucky to be only 2 months laid up. Get well soon.

Advertisement