Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo on ankle bone..

Options
  • 17-05-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I have been contemplating getting a tattoo for a number of years. I know what i want to get... i like the meaning attached to the symbol i want and i have my own interpretations on the symbol / design too. I also know where I want to get it on my body however this it causing a slight concern. I want to get this symbol (a bit bigger than a pound coin) on my ankle bone on the inside of my leg (on the lump that protrudes just above the shoe line). The worry is this could be a very sensitive area as it is just skin lying directly on the bone. I have no tattoos so have no understanding of the pain...im not worried about pain but i feel needles going into this part of my leg right on the bone could be shocking painful i so am wondering what insight or experience has anyone got of this..
    p.s. i do not want to get the tattoo anywhere else..as this is a perfect place for it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

Hi Piriz, it's understandable that you are cautious about the pain and the fear of the unknown. From my point of view, it shouldn't be too bad as it isn't a large piece of work, so if it is uncomfortable/painful it'll be over before you know it and you'll have a great piece of artwork that you'll love. Make sure that you are well rested, hydrated and fed and you'll be grand. :)

Part of my tattoo is on my outter ankle bone. When I got it I didn't find that part more painful than the rest. But the sensation was definately different. When it's closer to the bone there's a sort of rattling feeling that can be unpleasant, but I actually found that made my leg feel a little more numb. Either way it certainly wouldn't put me off doing it again

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Tattoo's tend to hurt a little more when you approach a joint, but due to the fact your ankle bone does protrude and all that really does cover it is a thin layer of skin, you'll just have to make sure you do not move when the artist is doing the major outlining more so than anything. The vibrations that run from the gun through your bone are a little uncomfortable but nothing you can't over come i'm sure! You'll also have absolutely NOTHING to compare it to if this is your first piece done, so prepare yourself as you would if it was any other body part, just keep in mind you should try to keep your breathing at a nice normal pace, and be in control of your leg movements when getting tattooed. Some muscle spasms are of course involuntary so don't worry if you aren't as still as a statue.. No one ever really is!

All the best with your first tattoo!

Ps: Make sure you don't go in on an empty stomach, keep your blood sugar levels high!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

OP here,
    I still havnt had this tattoo done...however i still want it and visited a tattoo shop last weekend... The guy I spoke to was very nice (covered in tattoos himself). He warned that the yin yang symbol on this location would not be successful... considering the circle shape and the bony protrusion location on a moving joint..he said the tattoo shape would not look good... he also said the tattoo will not heal well due to the joint being in regular motion walking etc. I really value the advice I received but also i'm curious of peoples thoughts on this... ??

thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Who do you think you should be listening to, the guy who does it for a living or people on the internet

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to listen to other tattoo artists opinions too, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Piriz wrote: »
    OP here,
    I still havnt had this tattoo done...however i still want it and visited a tattoo shop last weekend... The guy I spoke to was very nice (covered in tattoos himself). He warned that the yin yang symbol on this location would not be successful... considering the circle shape and the bony protrusion location on a moving joint..he said the tattoo shape would not look good... he also said the tattoo will not heal well due to the joint being in regular motion walking etc. I really value the advice I received but also i'm curious of peoples thoughts on this... ??

thanks...
    Did he advise you on an alternative placement or perhaps a rejig of the image to fit better?

I'd be inclined to go with his opinion since he's the one tattooing it and has actually seen your ankle/where exactly you want it.

no alternatives were discussed...i told him i'd go and rethink the idea... i still want to get this symbol and i always thought it'd be a great location for it...i'm thinking i could get it just slightly above this bone....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The yin yang symbol is about balance, and I feel that on the ankle bone would be incredibly hard to get that balance right, so that's another point to bear in mind. Change the placement slightly and go for it then would be what I'd think. Best to listen to your tattoo artist though. If you trust them to tattoo you but not to advise on this, you have either little faith in them, or in the alteration of your idea.

It is wrong for people to suggest i dont listen to or trust the artist i spoke to, im just wondering what other opinions are...

im gona go slightly above the ankle bone...

/close thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

It is wrong for people to suggest i dont listen to or trust the artist i spoke to, im just wondering what other opinions are...

im gona go slightly above the ankle bone...

/close thread

But you're not listening to anyone here either....

jaysus, i think some of you failed to read my posts correctly accusing me of not listening and taking advice...

moany *****

jaysus, i think some of you failed to read my posts correctly accusing me of not listening and taking advice...

moany *****

Either everyone is reading your posts wrong, or you're putting yourself across wrong. The latter is the most likely.

Your tattoo artist told you what he thinks. You want other opinions. That suggests that you either don't trust the artists judgement, or you don't want to listen to what he has to say. Which is it?

And keep it civil, consider this a warning.

I already asserted that i value what he says, and the level of criticism for asking for other opinions is ridiculous.. In any other situation asking for a second opinion or further thought on a situation would not be met with such disdain...

now go and read what i actually wrote....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I already asserted that i value what he says, and the level of criticism for asking for other opinions is ridiculous.. In any other situation asking for a second opinion or further thought on a situation would not be met with such disdain...

now go and read what i actually wrote....

I'll put it this way for you -

"I was at my doctor the other day and he said I had xxxxxxxxx wrong with me, what do people in boards think, I want your opinion"

If you want a second opinion ask another doctor or in your case another artist.

Your artist said it wouldn't work where you wanted it, listen to them, they're a professional. You want opinions than be prepared to hear what people want to say not what you want to hear yourself.

You won't get any feedback here for being smart ;)
    Be nice and people will be nice in return :)

niallam wrote: »
    I'll put it this way for you -

"I was at my doctor the other day and he said I had xxxxxxxxx wrong with me, what do people in boards think, I want your opinion"

If you want a second opinion ask another doctor or in your case another artist.

Your artist said it wouldn't work where you wanted it, listen to them, they're a professional. You want opinions than be prepared to hear what people want to say not what you want to hear yourself.

You won't get any feedback here for being smart ;)
    Be nice and people will be nice in return :)

unbelievable... i was just looking for further points of view and again im met with this crap... i wasnt looking for opinions of laymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

i wasnt looking for opinions of laymen.

Then dont post on boards.ie? What did you think this was, a message forum of professional tattoo artists who know what your ankle and proposed tattoo look like?

unbelievable... i was just looking for further points of view and again im met with this crap... i wasnt looking for opinions of laymen.

Then go and ask a bloody professional, and stop getting pissy and abusive when people are responding to you. And for ignoring my instruction on keeping civil, you can have an infraction for your ignorance with it.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement