Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alfa AWUS036H opinions

Options
  • 17-05-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

has anybody usesd the Alfa AWUS036H before? I am looking for an adapter to allow me to connect to mainly 802.11g networks.

Is it any good? Is the AWUS036NH better?

Also,

I am looking for a compatible higher gain antennae, it is going to be on a desktop so nothing to big. 9dBi should suffice :D.

Any help would be very much appreciated :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭barry181091

I have one. It's great, has 1w power (Huge compared to other standard adapters). It's especially good for communicating with distant ap's while other adapters would only barely register them on a scan.

I have the standard 5dbi antenna (9dbi one would be nice :) ).

You don't need one if all your doing is connecting to your house router, overkill really.

If you want it for pentesting and aircrack, get it. (I assume so because its a fairly unknown adapter unless your doing that stuff, very popular in that scene). The chipset is highly supported and well fleshed out drivers with Linux, don't bother trying to use it for aircrack with windows. No problems with sniffing, injecting or anythig like that. AFAIK, the 36NH has a different chipset and I'm willing to bet the driver support isint behind it yet. Unless there are alot of N APs around, not really worth it.

Edit: Just saw the question about the antenna. Be very careful about purchasing extra antennas, do your research first. I found that through much research, the extra power antenna usually doesn't give much more sensitivity to extra AP's. There are a lot of articles on these antennas, also ones specifically testing with the Alfa 36H so do your research first. They physics around radio waves and antennas is mind boggling !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Dunno what the Alfa adapters are like, you could try Ubiquiti's new WifiStation too.

http://www.ubnt.com/wifistation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ogoldnwink

anyone know where i can buy one in dublin heard its the best one hacking wi fi wep keys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Bad enough dragging up old threads:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement